owain

Amo la mia La Pavoni

And interestingly states that the standard of espresso from a La Pavoni cannot be replicated on a a similar priced vibe pump machine!

AKA Toffee chips

All La Pavoni get too hot at some point but this is nothing to do with the boiler size! It’s to do with the fact that the boiler is directly attached to the group, however this can be minimised with a heat extrude on the group, or by simply using it as it is intended as a two or three shot machine then switch off.

AKA Toffee chips

I have both and would say the opposite is true in my experience, the pro has a larger surface area this allows for greater radiant heat dispersal and more consistent shots

I have both and would say the opposite is true in my experience, the pro has a larger surface area this allows for greater radiant heat dispersal and more consistent shots

I read that in a post you made some time ago, seemed to make sense to me.

For me the whole point about a lever is that it puts you in touch with the process, an electric pump wont tell you what's going on with the shot in the same way as when you pull a lever. Its a more a question of how you work with a machine a bit like driving a classic sportscar totally different immersive experience without ABS, stability control etc. A lot of people prefer the more modern controlled machine and not the experience of using a slightly more challenging older tech lever.

Its horses for courses, many try pavs and move on, some stick with them. Can you get an exceptional shot from a pav, yes but you need to work at it and be prepared that its going to be a challenge and in my view more enjoyable for that.

keep calm and grind flat

@owain do you mind me asking where you got your cooling fins? Do you have contact details you could pass on? Thanks

__

Home: La Pavoni pre-millenium + Mazzer Major. V60 + MBK Feld2. Work: V60, Aeropress + Wilfa Svart grinder

@owain do you mind me asking where you got your cooling fins? Do you have contact details you could pass on? Thanks

Hi a few people have enquired, I’ve sent him a message I’m just waiting for a response, I wouldn’t pass his details on without his consent I’m afraid as it’s not a business but a private individual

That’s great thank you

__

Home: La Pavoni pre-millenium + Mazzer Major. V60 + MBK Feld2. Work: V60, Aeropress + Wilfa Svart grinder

Hi a few people have enquired, I’ve sent him a message I’m just waiting for a response, I wouldn’t pass his details on without his consent I’m afraid as it’s not a business but a private individual

@owain I would also be interested in details on the machined part or even the model. :-)

@owain I would also be interested in details on the machined part or even the model. :-)

It is pretty expensive at around £90

AKA Toffee chips

Am currently trying to source the right heat sink to do a bunch of them

AKA Toffee chips

Am currently trying to source the right heat sink to do a bunch of them

I’d be interested if you do. Owain’s chap replied quickly but said he has none to fit a pre-millennium group.

My pre-mil settles at 110C and I find the cold water ramekin method inelegant and imprecise.

__

On 24/01/2019 at 18:55, Junglebert said:

I was reading a review from someone associated with Bella Barista yesterday who mentioned that the Pro isn’t the one to get as it gets too hot too quickly, anyone else experienced this?

I think you have seriously misquoted me. I actually said something quite different than your out of context remark. The pro cost more and had the larger boiler, but it got hot just as quickly making the extra boiler capacity relatively redundant and not worth paying for.

I also had to comment on non modified machines, as they came from the manufacturer at the time. I couldn't really suggest user modifications in case something happened. The review was 11+ years old and I didn't really see anything else on the web which covered the machines at all at the time. It's possible both machines are different now and it's a very old review. it's another reason I am quite reluctant to do reviews, especially ones on .PDF. At least on the wordpress site I can update them or pull them when they are no longer relevant.

The lesson here is to not buy the more expensive professional machine for 2 reasons:

• Although you have a bigger boiler, the machine is going to get far too hot for it to be of any use to you. So save a bit of money.

• The professional models have a pressure gauge, but as you cannot adjust the pressure….so what, because it serves no useful purpose apart from looking good.

What Pavoni could and should have done on the larger models, is to have had 2 thermostats and separate brew/steam switches. This would have allowed the boiler to be maintained at an ideal temperature for brewing coffee, and only switched to steam mode (hotter) when required.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

12 hours ago, DavecUK said:

I think you have seriously misquoted me. I actually said something quite different than your out of context remark. The pro cost more and had the larger boiler, but it got hot just as quickly making the extra boiler capacity relatively redundant and not worth paying for.

I don’t think I have ‘seriously misquoted you’ I didn’t even quote you, if I may be pedantic. I think at worst, I misunderstood your comment. This is probably the bit I was referring to, I’ve re read it, and my interpretation still seems valid, but it was so long ago, I’m not 100%

’The Stradivari gets quite hot fairly quickly and after 3 or 4 shots, is probably too hot to make decent espresso. In fact I often found the first shot was a little cool, the second and 3rd was just right and the last few were starting to get a bit hot’

Or, as I said, too hot too quickly. 

The post of mine you quoted was one of my first in here, and at the time I certainly didn’t know who’d written it. 

Unless Pavoni radically redesigned their machines at some point in the last the 15 years then the second point about not being able to adjust the pressure is in fact not true. All La Pavoni professionals have an adjustable pressure stat in the base as do the standard post milenium models, however the key benefit to having the pressure gauge is that you can see where you are at on the pressure stat. Which you cannot see on the smaller model.

you can of course add a gauge, or take a reading from the steam wand using a pipe and gauge, however the ability to change the pressure means that you can influence the temperature of the shot. 

The first point is still relevant though as all pavonis wil over heat, unless you use a cold towel or a heat sink on the group.

• Like 3

AKA Toffee chips