owain

Amo la mia La Pavoni

Thought I would remake my La Pavoni thread as the other became corrupted and had to be “sand boxed”

I think a lot of people ask the same sort of questions when deciding whether to get a La Pav, they tend to be, should I get the Europiccola or the professional? I have both

I’ll put my observations and thoughts down it may help people when deciding. Please note these are just my thoughts you may agree or disagree.

The Europiccola:

First of all it is less expensive, it’s extremely compact in size and heats up very quickly. I find it also over heats pretty quickly if you are pulling more than a couple of shots, this can be a little frustrating when you are new to the little leaver and trying to pull the perfect shot the first night it’s out of the box, too much caffeine and inexperience can leave you a little disheartened to put it nicely lol.

The professional:

My personal preference. It has a larger boiler so takes a tiny bit longer to get up to temperature, it does have a pressure gauge which looks cool and is useful. The larger boiler size also helps control the temperature better and it won’t over heat as quickly.

Should I buy second hand?

Yes there is no reason not to as both machines and built extremely well, put together by hand and servicing is a doddle. All seals and replacement parts can be bought on the web if it does need a little TLC. They also hold their value extremely well quality after all is quality.

What’s the coffee like?

Amazing! the coffee the La Pavoni is capable of producing belies it’s price tag, the fruits that will bounce out of the cup will astonish you I’m still amazed by mine, and a bean I might be struggling with on my Rancilio can soon be brought to life using the La Pavoni.

Is it easy to use?

The chances of you getting the coffee you are looking for or expecting straight out of the box probably won’t happen.

You need to get to know your machine experiment and play with it. To me this is the best bit, the variables on the La Pavoni are near endless, from infusion times to pull times, you can take a bean from fruity to roasty just by making some minor changes to your method and I love this.

Is a naked portafilter a good upgrade?

Yes it is. I would say an essential upgrade, the less metal mass of a naked portafilter allows less heat retention and as such will improve your coffee.

Why is the tamper that comes with the machine so rubbish?

No idea. Buy a decent one lol.

And now some pictures

604fabda296c0b432e123ef860face61.jpga433c9a2c251a6d2a59bf7a4d28ccc0b.jpgb714c1c18e4e621f39c25290ee707f8a.jpg

Edited by owain

I love my little lever, Zacconi, which is very similar & agree half the fun is the learning curve. Wish I could get a naked portafilter for it though

A machine, a grinder & some beans

I love my little lever, Zacconi, which is very similar & agree half the fun is the learning curve. Wish I could get a naked portafilter for it though

Get your current one chopped. I did with mine as I figured I would never want the spouts again.

Good thread @owain

I have a Europiccola and I love it. There is a steep learning curve but once mastered these little levers make great espresso. A good grinder is a must to get the best out of them.

Good thread @owain

I have a Europiccola and I love it. There is a steep learning curve but once mastered these little levers make great espresso. A good grinder is a must to get the best out of them.

Definitely get a good grinder I’m using a Modded Super jolly which I’m happy with

fefd50bd4062dce0358b74e746c0d8ad.jpg

So I’m currently using these Micro Lot beans from Pact (I know pact don’t seem to have a lot of fans on here but I’m about the coffee) and they are amazing the citrus notes from the cup are incredible at lower temperature and become more roasty at higher temperatures without becoming acrid can’t recommend them enough.

This is at a lower temperature thicker lighter crema and beautiful fruit notes

d14b47b3074882ea46eb99e7fdaa01e8.jpg

At the higher temperature the crema is less thick but darker and a fuller roast flavour

8c7bf8552955fa0921bf8b5b7e4c8eb2.jpg

8141ad2e9297ce5da3863ae7f337bdea.jpg

So my new toy I had a CNC heat sink made for the La Pavoni .. 3 shots not rushing between each one beautiful coffee much more stable temperature than I would usually have .. I’m actually impressed.

The first shot is without a flushed group head, the other 2 shots pull 2 and 3 were super consistent in flavour and temperature 63 degrees in the cup

9ddabc5ee0fc9680757f826f2d2edc89.jpg

c9df16fd8db424ed9da38573537d009d.jpg

3a7937b7c764ed6d7bc6151c2a577232.jpg

5f1e8bf38ec86acfa732abe9af165cea.jpg

Edited by owain

It took me a while to decide between the Europiccola and the Pro, the main reason I wanted the pro was for the pressure gauge - in the end I bought a restored millennium Europiccola with a pressure gauge fitted. It heats up in under 10 minutes, and I can produce two or three, maybe four Espresso and steamed milk before I need to turn it off and let it cool down before filling up again, so it's fine for me.

I couldn't agree more re the quality of Espresso - the first Espresso I made with it straight out of the box before I'd even began the learning curve, was probably one of the best tasting shots of Espresso I'd ever made at home! I think going from no Espresso making experience to a machine like this may be a shock to the system, but personally, I haven't found it all that big a learning curve going from semi-auto to this. I had the impression from what I'd read online while deciding on whether to get one of these, that pulling a shot with a manual lever was some form of dark art ;-), actually, I've found there's a lot less to it than it seems, the biggest thing as with semi auto machines, is getting the grind right.

It took me a while to decide between the Europiccola and the Pro, the main reason I wanted the pro was for the pressure gauge - in the end I bought a restored millennium Europiccola with a pressure gauge fitted. It heats up in under 10 minutes, and I can produce two or three, maybe four Espresso and steamed milk before I need to turn it off and let it cool down before filling up again, so it's fine for me.

I couldn't agree more re the quality of Espresso - the first Espresso I made with it straight out of the box before I'd even began the learning curve, was probably one of the best tasting shots of Espresso I'd ever made at home! I think going from no Espresso making experience to a machine like this may be a shock to the system, but personally, I haven't found it all that big a learning curve going from semi-auto to this. I had the impression from what I'd read online while deciding on whether to get one of these, that pulling a shot with a manual lever was some form of dark art ;-), actually, I've found there's a lot less to it than it seems, the biggest thing as with semi auto machines, is getting the grind right.

Good read nice to hear some others experiences

Agree with earlier comment. Your passion for this machine is exemplary. I remember your first thread and it was that one that persuaded me to give the La Pav a go for myself. I got a a bargain, but needed to replace seals etc.

Each time I see yours and Jimbojohns posts I am put to shame. I need to get on with it! (choice of paint job on the base is my choke) I hate the oven dish look on the one I have, and am not going to go for a chrome plate. So a funky repaint will be the order...just need to decide which sort of funk.....I abandoned one already...which on paper looked good, but on application was an epic fail. Suggestions welcome!

Agree with earlier comment. Your passion for this machine is exemplary. I remember your first thread and it was that one that persuaded me to give the La Pav a go for myself. I got a a bargain, but needed to replace seals etc.

Each time I see yours and Jimbojohns posts I am put to shame. I need to get on with it! (choice of paint job on the base is my choke) I hate the oven dish look on the one I have, and am not going to go for a chrome plate. So a funky repaint will be the order...just need to decide which sort of funk.....I abandoned one already...which on paper looked good, but on application was an epic fail. Suggestions welcome!

Powdercoat may work. There are certainly many colours to choose from to match your kitchen.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

New micro lot beans arrived today, roasty with hints of fruit, lovely mouth feel and some pics

13547801415d3f0ed35378aad1f0deaf.jpg

f257b8b7ba668d36320fd741c77e4509.jpg8a947e51e56264f509691feae1d0c727.jpg

If the Italian name of this thread is meant to mean, "I love my La Pavoni", it should be

"Amo la mia La Pavoni"

As it is, it means, "La Pavoni, I love myself"

Sorry to nit-pick, but this has been driving me crazy.

Matteo

Londinium 1, Monolith Flat, Pharos, Lido 3, Chemex, Gene Café, Atago Barista

If that is correct, then it is far funnier as it is!

If the Italian name of this thread is meant to mean, "I love my La Pavoni", it should be

"Amo la mia La Pavoni"

Sorry to nit-pick, but this has been driving me crazy.

Matteo

Lol oh well I can’t edit the title, thank you though

Lol oh well I can’t edit the title, thank you though
You want me to edit. Or you love yourself?

The Artist Formerly Known As 'jonc' | All the gear, almost no idea.

this is what I'm thinking of for my pre millennium to replace the black- but it has to be powder coated

DSC_6963.JPG

keep calm and grind flat

An edit would be great thanks
Now: "Amo la mia La Pavoni"

The Artist Formerly Known As 'jonc' | All the gear, almost no idea.

I was reading a review from someone associated with Bella Barista yesterday who mentioned that the Pro isn’t the one to get as it gets too hot too quickly, anyone else experienced this?

I was reading a review from someone associated with Bella Barista yesterday who mentioned that the Pro isn’t the one to get as it gets too hot too quickly, anyone else experienced this?

No ! Interested to know what else was said about the La Pavoni by BB.

AKA Toffee chips

I googled ‘la Pavoni professional review ‘ it was on the first page of hits, I can’t link now as I’m about to serve up tea