MatBat

Linea Mini vs Vesuvius

Linea Mini vs Vesuvius  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Linea Mini vs Vesuvius

• Linea Mini
    • Vesuvius

I know nothing about the LM but I do value the profiling features of the V. After the initial V rabbit hole madness, I’ve stabilised on the following five profiles:

P1: 12s preinfusion, declining profile from 12bar to 7bar over 34s. This changes but broadly speaking it’s my darker bean lever emulator.

P2: flat 2bar for manually controlled preinfusion then switch to P3 or P5

P3: flat 6bar, can work very well especially for lighter beans and very fine grinds.

P5: flat 9bar, a classic machine profile that in combination with P2 can get toward emulating slayer style shots.

P4: gets changed often as I get a fix on a particular bean then set this profile up for a ‘single press’ shot for SWMBO.

Personally, I really believe profiling adds something to the beautiful game of espresso extraction.

Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.

Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

Thanks @Obnic. I wasn’t aware you could switch profiles between shots, will give that a go. I am enjoying playing around with the profiles, although not enough yet to form a clear view (other than it’s really fun for now), I think mainly because I haven’t been testing on the right beans yet. Just finished a bag of A Rwandan bean from origin (Kanzu) which firstly wasn’t the most tasty bean I’ve come across imo and secondly it was very easy to work with and extracted nicely without profiling (no noticeable difference between LM and V). What I’m looking forward to is trying out some more difficult and lighter roasted beans which is where I think i’ll find to bigger differences in the two machines. The LM does very well for most beans but I’ve found it can struggle with the lighter roasts due to the lack of PI and high water debit. I have some L&S geisha and the Notes LSOL to come should give more interesting comparisons

LM Linea Mini, Mythos

I've never fancied the LM since the big paddle/lever on the front is only a switch and you can't control pre-infusion. If it actually controlled pressure/flow that would make a big difference - although it looks good.. The V has functionality but lacks in looks (to me anyway).

I nearly went for one of the 'cheap' Vesuvii (plural?) that were on offer.. Happy that I didn't though.

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

How are your deliberations going Mat? Out of interest, what grinder have you got them paired up with?

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

I'd take the LM on the basis they're a bit more unusual. But that's just me.

Nuova Simonelli Personal 1 ¦ Mazzer SJ

These were the two machines I was contemplating prior to buying the Vesuvius so I'll be interested to hear what you decide on!

Vesuvius Dual Boiler / Ceado E37S / KvdW Shower Screen / VST Precision baskets / Torr Tamper / Motta Champion Milk Pitchers / Stretton Hills (Waitrose) Water /

I really like the Linea Mini - but I'd want to replace the paddle and guide with a metal or wood version. The V is pretty hardcore too it seems...

Just to make things more interesting, given your for sale thread, I thought I'd tie the draw for you ;)

Just to keep it fair I have put the Lm ahead again if purely for the group, which owning he gs3 I can say is just the most solid on temperature stability. Plus the Vesuvius is just not pretty!

AKA Toffee chips

The vesuvius has now squeaked a lead.

While it may not win on looks, all that tweaking pressure and pre-infusion revs my engine.

(disclaimer I've never seen either in the flesh let alone used one)

On the lookout for a smaller machine. How are you finding the build quality on the Linea? Any issues?

On the lookout for a smaller machine. How are you finding the build quality on the Linea? Any issues?

I've got a Linea mini. Built like a tank. Comparable to a commercial Linea PB that I got to use during training when I first ventured into coffee.

However my experience with machines from different manufactures is extremely limited so can't really compare.

Have used both and Vesuvius for me every time.

I'd love to learn more about the reason(s) for your preference for the Vesuvius. Based only on what I've read about both machines, I have been impressed by the Vesuvius' remarkable feature set (precise pressure, brew temp and flow control) and its quality internals (stainless boilers & tubing). Of course, since the proof is in the cup (for me, anyway), I'm also quite eager to find out how you'd rate or compare the espresso shots you are producing with each machine.

Both are great machines but I have owned a V for almost 2 years and son has a Lm which I use when visiting.

Build etc and ability to "play" with profiles were decider for me but each to their own and many will probably end up with a favourite profile that matches their preferred style of bean.

However, the ability to tweak when I am so minded is a definite plus although mainly a 10sec pre infuse medium ramp up and slow down is my go to with darker beans eg Chatswood which give to me what I think is a very full smooth espresso and an excellent base for flat whites with 18g in and 36g out.

I must also admit I spent time with both "Daves" before deciding on Londinium or V and had great advice from both - also on grinders where both swayed to towards a s/h E92 which has been much enjoyed.

Shame you are so far away but try and find a user of either/both to experience if you are still undecided.