That doesn't make much sense, in theory the oilier the bean, the more it should clump due to the moisture content being higher?

I just use blends now anyway. I dont see much point in single origin, massaged, sang to coffee beans when i have the palette of a cat thats licked cleaned its ar*e. I am currently running fudge by Rave which is yummy and also means i dont need to constantly faff too much dialling in different beans.

Tasting notes : tastes like coffee

I think the clumps are usually static related.

Certainly on the mignon they tend to fall apart with the slightest poke.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These won’t settle down till around 10kgs of coffee have gone through them, contact a roaster get a load of stakes and bang em through the grinder, that should settle the grinder down better

I have now upgraded to the E5 from my Eureka Mignon which is up for sale. Very happy with the E5. Easily dialled in and excellent fluffy grind with minimal clumping. Thanks to forum members who r

I have been chucking any old beans I could find lying around through it and it is definitely settling down. Guess around 7 to 8 kilos through now and getting less clumpy. And I can confirm, the grinde

Posted Images

I think the clumps are usually static related.

Certainly on the mignon they tend to fall apart with the slightest poke.

yup, although to be fair its probably a cocktail of things including oils, temp, humidity, static etc. etc. That being said, the E5 at bella produced zero clumps.

"Yeah, well, scientifically, traditions are an idiot thing"

yup, although to be fair its probably a cocktail of things including oils, temp, humidity, static etc. etc. That being said, the E5 at bella produced zero clumps.

It is your final point that is challenging me too.

I've had and done the Mignon static clumping as was hoping this upgrade would put and end to the use of and need to employ the cocktail stick!

Reference earlier point, yes you would think a darker oiler bean would be worse, maybe less static as ashcroc said.

Awaiting further reply from BB on this, as this is not exactly performing how I expected or how you @craigsalisbury saw it.

I share a similar taste ability/ sensitivity!! Had to laugh at your tasting notes!

Always learning.

ECM Sychronika/ Compak E5, RB Tamper. Everpure Claris water filter

It is your final point that is challenging me too.

I've had and done the Mignon static clumping as was hoping this upgrade would put and end to the use of and need to employ the cocktail stick!

Reference earlier point, yes you would think a darker oiler bean would be worse, maybe less static as ashcroc said.

Awaiting further reply from BB on this, as this is not exactly performing how I expected or how you @craigsalisbury saw it.

I share a similar taste ability/ sensitivity!! Had to laugh at your tasting notes!

I was also living the dream when i saw it in action at BB, my reality is probably not far from yours, i stil whack a funnel on and give it all a stir which i hoped i wouldnt have to do, but it IS better than when i first got it. I dont kow what BB's magic is, maybe they will tell you.

I was reluctant to post this as it may offend, but i just found coffee and wine/alcohol to be similar. my coffee expertise goes from 'tastes like ass' to 'this is yummy'

Enjoy :)

Split a shot today and had less milk, Cappuccino cup, tasted brilliant!

Thats a funny ad!

Always learning.

Split a shot today and had less milk, Cappuccino cup, tasted brilliant!

Thats a funny ad!

indeed, on the weekends i split an 18g basket for a morning Cappuccino for me and the missus, nothing too heavy or intense. cant believe how small cappuccino cups are, i was disappointed when i got mine being only 180 or so ml, so i got some 280ml latte cups coming :)

Just dropping your name into a communication with BB re the clumping will share any further feedback here...

Always learning.

So today switched beans and my settings have once again shifted massively, has had to go much coarser and reduce the time over 20%.

Timings and settings all over the place does add to the bean usage and wastage, had two choked pucks in the testing!

However....grinds looking fluffier and less clumpy, maybe we are getting somewhere. Visibly they don't look coarser. Maybe I has the grinder just too tight and fine.

Loving this grinder but its sure a delicate and particular beast when it comes to dialling it in.

Edited by jerbla

Always learning.

So today switched beans and my settings have once again shifted massively, has had to go much coarser and reduce the time over 20%.

Timings and settings all over the place does add to the bean usage and wastage, had two choked pucks in the testing!

However....grinds looking fluffier and less clumpy, maybe we are getting somewhere. Visibly they don't look coarser. Maybe I has the grinder just too tight and fine.

Loving this grinder but its sure a delicate and particular bast when it comes to dialling it in.

I have started taking photos and writing settings for each different bean I use, it makes it much faster. Definitely as the bean ages it has to go finer which i put down to gas/moisture. Luckily after trying a few single origin fancy shmancy beans for espresso, im not really a fan so I stick to a couple of blends by rave which i love as milk drinks so i think im pretty set.

More importantly i now dial in pretty quickly and with setting the Sage DB using volume, mrscraig now uses it all to make the morning jumpstart so its all good.

Can I chip in here. I found it an absolute doodle to set up and dial in. I suspect that part of this is because at the moment (and quite often) I drink only one bean, which at the moment is CC Mystery 8. Now, by doing this it allows me to learn. if you change the bean, you are changing one of the main varietals which dictates the quality of the shot, so, without having mastered one you are moving on to another, which makes no sense at all. Coupled to this is the fact that burrs take a lot longer to settle down that people think, which again gives non repeatability. I do not worry about button 2. If it is set to 5 seconds and falls short button one is set to 0.5 seconds. if it is too much I take some out, thus keeping the constant. The ambient temp will cause differences in output and it gets worse in summer if like mine, your coffee room is in the sun all day.

So, to sum up, stop buying loads of different beans!

tapatalk.com/groups/vesuvius or http://tinyurl.com/coffeetimeforum

A friendly chat over coffee

Thanks @dfk41 I will heed that advice and keep at it. Never suffered at the hands of my Mignon to the same extent however.

My inexperience and impatience is shinning through!

Cheers

Always learning.

Can I chip in here. I found it an absolute doodle to set up and dial in. I suspect that part of this is because at the moment (and quite often) I drink only one bean, which at the moment is CC Mystery 8. Now, by doing this it allows me to learn. if you change the bean, you are changing one of the main varietals which dictates the quality of the shot, so, without having mastered one you are moving on to another, which makes no sense at all. Coupled to this is the fact that burrs take a lot longer to settle down that people think, which again gives non repeatability. I do not worry about button 2. If it is set to 5 seconds and falls short button one is set to 0.5 seconds. if it is too much I take some out, thus keeping the constant. The ambient temp will cause differences in output and it gets worse in summer if like mine, your coffee room is in the sun all day.

So, to sum up, stop buying loads of different beans!

I always listen to the voice of experience :) I have only bean doing this for about a month so still finding what I really like, I have kinda settled on fudge and the italian job by rave, oh oh see what i did here ^^^ :)

I only use button 1, button 3 is set to 2 seconds for purge. If 1 falls short i just tap the grind button and it normally fills in the gap.

On clumping.....mine did a little but that was burrs not yet settled and me going too tight .....remember, if you do not want to grind so fine stick an extra 0.5 gms in the basket and play with tamping.

Too much time is spent in pursuit of the god shot.....it does not exist! But, I grant some are better than others.....for me, there are two sorts of shot, ones you drink and ones you sink

On clumping.....mine did a little but that was burrs not yet settled and me going too tight .....remember, if you do not want to grind so fine stick an extra 0.5 gms in the basket and play with tamping.

Too much time is spent in pursuit of the god shot.....it does not exist! But, I grant some are better than others.....for me, there are two sorts of shot, ones you drink and ones you sink

Wise word, I agree re time too, I want to enjoy drinking my coffee not spend all day weighing and pi$$ing about in search of the every diminishing return. The bean advice sits well with that thought.

Always learning.

Significant steps forward in grind in the last few days, less clumping, less static. So once there is less messing about on my part I am fairly certain I will be well set and well on the road to recovery after my recent bout of "Upgradeitus".

Always learning.

Significant steps forward in grind in the last few days, less clumping, less static. So once there is less messing about on my part I am fairly certain I will be well set and well on the road to recovery after my recent bout of "Upgradeitus".

yeah you do have a LOT of very fancy equipment lol

so did you increase dose and coarsen the grind ? or its just settling in more ?

I think settling in to be honest, getting through a Kilo of Italian supermarket beans ( Manaressi ), which I hope will get things set nicely before I revert to the subtlety and sophisticated of a more cared for product.

Should be noted not all the gear is in one location...

Always learning.

• 3 weeks later...

mine is not clump free either, but would I expect it to be? It still has small burrs at 58mm though they are very aggressive. I do not care. it takes 5 seconds for 18 to 19 gms. I stick a @Norvin aluminium ring on, stir with a small form for 5 seconds, knock the pf downwards once to settle the grind, remove the ring and if need be, smooth the grind with the fork, all in the time a Mignon would take to grind 18 gms and be really clumpy!

mine is not clump free either, but would I expect it to be? It still has small burrs at 58mm though they are very aggressive. I do not care. it takes 5 seconds for 18 to 19 gms. I stick a @Norvin aluminium ring on, stir with a small form for 5 seconds, knock the pf downwards once to settle the grind, remove the ring and if need be, smooth the grind with the fork, all in the time a Mignon would take to grind 18 gms and be really clumpy!

^^^ i do this also. i dont have a problem with it at all, its a great grinder. interestingly though the one i saw in action at BB was completely clump free which i put down to mybe something like stable temp/humidity whereas my kitchen is cold in the morning and humidity is all over the place.

yes posting really as an update as per @craigsalisbury seeing and words from BB I was expecting clumpless action after all was settled.

I use the cocktail stick method but may use my @Norvin add on and stir a little more aggressively through that.

Happy with the outcomes which is the key thing, managing not to splatter the kitchen when I make a bottomless extraction, so it must be doing its work OK.

Edited by jerbla

Always learning.

Tried that and replies dried up. If I dial out I loose the clumps but then end up too coarse and over extracting the shot.

Cocktail stick it os for now, I'll pester BB next time I drop by.

Always learning.