fatboyslim

LSOL January Notes Coffee [London]

Yeah, should have said in my first post, thanks to all the organisers for making this possible. I can see myself sticking with a 1kg sub for the foreseeable and just having that as my main source of beans.

Social aspect is great too, looking forward to the general resting period ending and seeing people's tasting notes, methods etc.

Odd one this...Picked mine up yesterday, brought it home, then slept.

This morning as it happened my grinders hopper was empty. So after a quick clean out I actually dumped one of the bags straight in. I am these days a bit averse to 'the wait and rest' I charged the grind chamber and got a short change delivery (expected), so I went for an extra 1 second grind and used that as a base for a flapachino. It was nice, but not worth extended analysis.

Hour or so later, grinder settings unchanged, I ran to 18g and pushed the volvic through it to 37g in the cup (was close to a minute though). Took that one as an espresso. This was a surprise to me. I tasted almonds, beautiful! The one and only time I got that taste before was at the LCF 2016 on Colonna's stand (Which was from Rwanda))

I have no clue where this LSOL might have been sourced from, I do know though that it is a quality offering - IMO - and might well be the best of the coffee I tasted in the last 6 months.

Now....I need to run a brewed drink on this...anyone found a good stating point ? Happy to try Aeropress/V60/Siphon/FPress

Beans arrived and not a moment too late since I am totally out. Smells fantastic but unfortunately I have been fiddling with my machine too much and put it out of action. Looking forward to trying aeropress tomorrow. Thanks again for organising.

Gaggia Classic with arduino PID neural network

Mazzer Super Jolly

Aergrind

Gave in and tried a cheeky spro. 18=>36 38secs. Sweet milk choc, sweet fruit and a slight nutty almond taste. Really nice. Needs another couple of days rest IMO.

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

Gave in and tried a cheeky spro. 18=>36 38secs. Sweet milk choc, sweet fruit and a slight nutty almond taste. Really nice. Needs another couple of days rest IMO.

Nout better than a cheeky 'spro. I'm really enjoying my sample as a cheeky 'spro. Was roasted about a week before the LSOL.

Currently drinking other stuff at the min while these rest. I’ve managed to finish 3 bags of beans which is a record for me... One of them (Ato) was roasted this month!!

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Yummy December brew of my sample, roasted a week earlier. 14g into 230ml in 2:40 setting #2 and 3:2 Deeside to Glaceau.

The approximate region or continent should be fairly obvious ;)

Still sitting on these, figuratively. Close to finishing a couple of other bags then these are getting opened!

R58, Niche (midnight black), IMS screen, VST Basket, Acaia Pearl, Torr GF, Feldgrind, V60, Kalita 185 and loads of other stuff I probably don't need :)

45 min steep in the CCD this morning, getting more of a brown sugar vibe from that.

Enjoying espresso & filter 

Made an aeropress with these last night on setting 1.11 aergrind which consistently gives me tds 1.30 on foundry Ethiopians. This came out at tds 1.20 although I really felt it was going to be closer to 1.40 taste wise. Got darker molasses/liquorice sort of flavours with a hint of apricot perhaps.

Will try going fine to see if I can get past the slight roast flavour but feel I may have to coarsen up for this one.

Thank you for organising guys!

LR - EK43S; Ceado E37S; Aergrind; Comandante MK3 - Syphon & V60 - patience

yep tried to sit on these but had just about run down my other beans, Great in milk, complex full of flavour, also part way through a cold so my taste buds are shot, and the beans are tiny hmmm

keep calm and grind flat

Aeropress. .. 1.11 aergrind which ...t ds 1.30 on foundry Ethiopians.

Will try going fine to see if I can get past the slight roast flavour but feel I may have to coarsen up for this one.

Keep us posted. I'm a way off cracking into these, having gone from famine to feast recently with a few offers, but having nearly finished some Foundry Duromina in my Aeropress (and I'm also using the Aergrind) your settings and recipe will be of interest.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Keep us posted. I'm a way off cracking into these, having gone from famine to feast recently with a few offers, but having nearly finished some Foundry Duromina in my Aeropress (and I'm also using the Aergrind) your settings and recipe will be of interest.[/quote @hotmetal it was actually a kg of Duromina that I just finished off as well which was pretty decent both by aeropress and espresso, find it got bit lost in milk. For aeropress I settled on a tds of 1.31-1.33 which I could get at aergrind setting 1.11 (mine zeroes at pretty much zero). Any finer or coarser had a significant impact on flavour. Here are my rough notes when dialing it in.

Duromina inverted aeropress: 14.5g coffee, WE water 45sec off boil, 30g bloom+ stir for 20sec, 240g at 30sec, at 1:15 plunge until 1:30

Aer 2.6 tds 1.16 sour and bitter underextracted

Aer 2.6 (20 min steep) tds 1.50 bitter, not pleasant

Aer 2.3 tds 1.26 bit better but still sourness, underextracted

Aer 2.0 tds 1.33 can taste pims, creamier, bit bitter on cooling, maybe just over

Aer 1.11 tds 1.31 smooth, fruity

Aer 1.10 tds 1.38 roasty, not nice

Aer 1.12 (2) tds 1.29 ok, tiny bit tart, underextracted

Aer 1.11 tds 1.32 ok, quite good

Now for the LSOL, tried again this evening. Tightened up grind to 1.9 and made aeropress using foundry recipe as with all the rest. Took quite some strength to plunge but to my surprise the tds was a measly 1.21 (quite a grind change for just 0.01 tds increase)! It's as if extraction has plateaued! On the nose it was like a hot dark chocolate. On the tongue still the molasses with maybe some prune. Bit bitter/roasty aftertaste on cooling. Will see if I can push through to higher extracting before starting to go the other way.

Keen to hear how you get on!

LR - EK43S; Ceado E37S; Aergrind; Comandante MK3 - Syphon & V60 - patience

Thanks for the info. I tried a similar method with my Duromina to yours (14.5g, inverted 2 minute inc 30" bloom) but I ended up getting more fruit, acidity and sweetness by going finer (1.7) and steeping for longer (14.5g, 1.7 on Aergrind, inverted, 30g bloom stirring for 20" then fill up (255g total), expel air and leave for 10 mins, then turn right way up, leave for 5 mins, remove plunger to allow it to drip, then plunge the rest slowly.

I should say my Aergrind shows '1' in the notch when fully locked.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

I've got my beans and just sipping my first brew. Its good! I'm getting some darker funky fruit flavours. I wonder if its a natural :secret:

2479CF89-3D0F-4010-B49E-8812C6CBA6BA.jpg

First brew of the notes LSOL. V60 using 15:250 ratio and Matt Perger’s method. Dry bed in 2:42 so room to go a bit finer and think it needs it. It’s a very delicate brew, nothing really jumping out at me but there’s a brown sugar sweetness in there, a hint of acidity and no bitterness. That’s all I’ve got for now. Will report back once had another with a finer grind aiming for around 3 mins to dry bed to give me room to go finer again if needed

R58, Niche (midnight black), IMS screen, VST Basket, Acaia Pearl, Torr GF, Feldgrind, V60, Kalita 185 and loads of other stuff I probably don't need :)

Cinder toffee some vanilla and smoky - but I still have a cold -booo

keep calm and grind flat

I'm so impatient! Same method V60 as above but used the feldgrind on 1+8. Dry bed took 3:20 seconds so a lot finer grind than the last brew. Still getting brown sugar but that's it. It is nice however. Might give it a few more days rest then revisit.

We are in! Stuck to 15.4/40s/33g with the grinder on the same as for the D&G Chinese bean. I can’t tell you what I’m getting, no real fruitiness but I like it all the same. The shot had a very bright orange crema, a gloopy body. Drinking it now. As it cools I’m getting a dry (currant?) taste . . .

Looking forward to another go tomorrow :)

25119049177_001166f7fa_z.jpg

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

I'm in!

16.5 > 36 > about 40 seconds.

Absolutely beautiful pour to watch. Really nailed it with this one.

Getting a really distinctive taste but I don't know what it is haha. I'm useless. Delicious though and looking forward to getting home from work already

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

2 tries today 18g=>36g 32 secs milk choc and brown sugar.

18g=>43g 36secs less mouthfeel but with citrus.

The first more of a conventional “Brazilian Spro” , but both really nice, going finer though.

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

I'm three brews into this. I've been using my v60 with a ratio of 65 g/L. I've been making brews with 22.7 g to 350 ml or 27 g to 450 ml with a 50 ml bloom and the rest of the water divided into 3 pours at 30 second intervals. Brew times have been ~3:30.

I'm enjoying this one a lot. I think its a real crowd pleaser. To me its sweet, clean and quite smooth with a mild acidity. I've been getting flavours of chocolate, dark fruit like plums or berries and grape tang.

As for processing I think it is a washed coffee. For origin my hunch is towards the Americas because of its mild acidity, large beans and that its not that slow draining. I think maybe El Salvador, Costa Rica or Columbia as it really reminds me of one I had from Django Coffee in December but I'm not confident :p

I'm three brews into this. I've been using my v60 with a ratio of 65 g/L. I've been making brews with 22.7 g to 350 ml or 27 g to 450 ml with a 50 ml bloom and the rest of the water divided into 3 pours at 30 second intervals. Brew times have been ~3:30.

I'm enjoying this one a lot. I think its a real crowd pleaser. To me its sweet, clean and quite smooth with a mild acidity. I've been getting flavours of chocolate, dark fruit like plums or berries and grape tang.

As for processing I think it is a washed coffee. For origin my hunch is towards the Americas because of its mild acidity, large beans and that its not that slow draining. I think maybe El Salvador, Costa Rica or Columbia as it really reminds me of one I had from Django Coffee in December but I'm not confident :p

I was thinking washed south american as well. It's a bit like the Columbian Popayan that Django did in the Dog & Hat sub but I got a bit more depth from that. I'm wondering if I need to strength up a bit as I've been brewing V60 at 15:250 from 2:42 up to 3:30 minute brews and it's still a bit delicate for me. It smells amazing like a kinder egg once ground, sweet milk chocolate which is what led me to South America but I can't get that sweetness in the cup yet but I'm sure it's there. I don't get any fruits from it, definitely not that dark fruit tang. It's an interesting one.