IGNORED

Sage DTP pump pressure control mod

joey24dirt

I had a seed planted firmly in my head recently about whether you could get some form of pressure profiling on the go with the DTP. It turns out you can so here's a quick write up of how I carried out my mod and how it performs.

First I wanted to install gauge so I could see what pressure I had going to the pf. This was a simple enough task and I just added a T piece to the line coming out of the pump.

cf4e3215f3a9faf42192da8835b5cdcc.jpg

The pipework is 4mm plastic. Parts are readily available to use push-fit fittings so that's what I did. I decided that to cause the least disruption I would use the tamper dock for my gauge.

9b594c53619064707de4a37d5adfe14f.jpg

The gauge is obviously upside down but it doesn't matter. It actually makes it easier to read rather than stooping down to look.

09cb3aca1e59cc384d43ff0f022aad69.jpg

------------------------------------------

Next I ordered up a voltage regulator from overseas

148c52089f1d13ebc6542f273b88beda.jpg

Simple enough to fit, just slip it in there before the pump and take control over the voltage going to it.

Location was decided by the space inside. Looking back if I were to do another, I would remove the adjusting pot and add some lengths of wire. That way the control dial could be mounted in other locations away from the main board.

46e9c2849f48d25dd63cb775e2844857.jpg

First of all I did a dry run to check it worked. Once happy I started to chop up and drill my machine

504466023d307edc81398bee999a412f.jpg

24907a4f200204b332663d18552e0bf8.jpg

Controller in place it's now time for wiring.

***please ensure you have the machine isolated from the mains before starting any of this work. Probably should've mentioned this at the start***

Remove connections from pump and direct these into the controller. Then make up some more wiring to go from the controller into the pump.

5ccd5c19ac913f865b44b65aa9a04c10.jpg

You should be now in a position to test this now. Literally just run the machine and turn the dial. You should now be able to control the voltage going into the pump.

I can go into further details later, I just wanted to get the thread started off and then get into it properly. This opening post is long enough haha

Cheers

Edited by joey24dirt
  • Like 1

I don’t have a DTP but I’m totally engrossed in the project and in awe of your technical skills, spirit of adventure and bravery when it comes to chopping up your pride and joy[emoji1303]. And all while feeding your kids and making a nice flat white for Mrs Joey complete with latte art #whataguy

I don’t have a DTP but I’m totally engrossed in the project and in awe of your technical skills, spirit of adventure and bravery when it comes to chopping up your pride and joy[emoji1303]. And all while feeding your kids and making a nice flat white for Mrs Joey complete with latte art #whataguy

Very kind words indeed. I have this constant urge to fettle things and put to good use some bits I've learnt so far in life. I blame my grandad who passed when I was a lad. He's was the same from what I remember [emoji106]

The finished product is a nice looking little dial that is easy to get at [emoji51][emoji106]

8728b6515812342e79a095763ac9fcb8.jpg

7f65a3b3929b94910ed0492cfbe61839.jpg

I've just took a quick video of it in operation so I'll get that uploaded. Just shows a basic adjustment (definitely not the best cameraman)

One thing I've found is that if you adjust the voltage down before the pre-infusion has finished, you get a temporary pump stall. It's a split second so hopefully won't cause any long term effects.

That's them [emoji106] like I say I think having the pot on a separate loom would be way easier. Chopping through that composite plastic shite was a nightmare that could've been avoided [emoji23]

Great vid & mod. Can't wait for you to get bored & turn a new knob out of an old scateboard. [emoji16]

Haha which one? The middle sage one?

I'm going to do a few for the aergrinds soon when I get chance so might pop a few on the forum if people are interested [emoji4]

Great mod Joey! Are you guessing the dial before each shot or have you got a marker/line to square it up with? I see you then the dial back at the end, is this to put it back to full for the pre-infusion of the next cup? Cheers buddy :good:

Great mod Joey! Are you guessing the dial before each shot or have you got a marker/line to square it up with? I see you then the dial back at the end, is this to put it back to full for the pre-infusion of the next cup? Cheers buddy :good:

Cheers mate. I haven't had much of a play with it so I'd need to figure out maybe marking it up like you say, so I can set it before starting.

I returned it back to normal at the end for steaming. I'm guessing it would need full pump voltage to keep the steam as it should be.

I need like a numbered disk don't I to stick behind the dial. Would look better than I marker pen haha

Looks great.

Is there a way to turn the guilt in pre-infusion off? Feels like you'd have more control and repeatability if you could just start the process of brew with the voltage regulator turned down low, then slowly turn it up.

Either way, well done, makes me want to try the mod on my classic!

Looks great.

Is there a way to turn the guilt in pre-infusion off? Feels like you'd have more control and repeatability if you could just start the process of brew with the voltage regulator turned down low, then slowly turn it up.

Either way, well done, makes me want to try the mod on my classic!

I'm not sure to be honest. There's a few circuit boards inside to control the pre-infusion. My guess is it's just on a timer but I'm not too sure if I would be brave enough to try and by-pass this.

I've I'd have bagged one of the £100 DTP's from Debenhams then it might have been a different story, at least I'd have had a spare haha

Ahh yes steam! Lol have you tried out the minimum and maximum settings on it? Would be interesting to see the range in bar pressure these can do!

Was there a noticeable difference in taste at 4 bar?

And yeah a numbered dial would be perfect.. could even have it orientated to bar pressure as well!

Ahh yes steam! Lol have you tried out the minimum and maximum settings on it? Would be interesting to see the range in bar pressure these can do!

Was there a noticeable difference in taste at 4 bar?

And yeah a numbered dial would be perfect.. could even have it orientated to bar pressure as well!

Who do we know on here who does laser etching??!! [emoji4]

I'll have to have a look for a dial.

With regards to taste and texture, I definitely feel it's made a positive difference. It's probably opened a huge can of worms also haha!

I need to have a play about with it and try it at different pressures. I'm about to run out of the beans I'm using so I'll wait until I start my next bag to get right into it.

So far so good though [emoji106]

Who do we know on here who does laser etching??!! [emoji4]

I'll have to have a look for a dial.

With regards to taste and texture, I definitely feel it's made a positive difference. It's probably opened a huge can of worms also haha!

I need to have a play about with it and try it at different pressures. I'm about to run out of the beans I'm using so I'll wait until I start my next bag to get right into it.

So far so good though [emoji106]

Haha fantastic.. as long as you taste a difference for the better.. it's been worth it lol.

As for the dial, if you just made a template and scribed some lines on for different bar pressure, you could post it over and I could try knock you one up no problem.:good:

Haha fantastic.. as long as you taste a difference for the better.. it's been worth it lol.

As for the dial, if you just made a template and scribed some lines on for different bar pressure, you could post it over and I could try knock you one up no problem.:good:

I'll see what I can do. We use dosing pumps at work that have dials on that are about that size so I may steal one of those haha.

The same part can be bought with the pot on flying leads

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075QFQN7S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Or much cheaper from Hong Kong etc on ebay. I have one to fit to my popcorn machine for bean roasting. So far it's gained a switch to select blow and heat or just blow on it's own.

I wonder what happened to the OPV mod ? The dual boiler machine clearly uses 10 bar or more. Going on another thread the single basket on that holds well over 10g - ;) maybe dual boiler owners deserve stronger coffee 'cause they paid more. It sounds like the single on these is at least 12g. Now aint that weird. It's what I reckon I can't live without and adding a 14g as well would be even better.

From my experience on the BE an 8 1/2 bar setting would be a big help but based on an assumption that the ticks on the gauge are bar and the rate the drip tray fills up is due to the OPV opening. I can't help wondering why they have set it lower but it seems Gaggia do the same thing on their small model. I wondered if it was down to strength of the plastic grouphead but have my doubts. That could be beefed up anyway by adding the sort of wire or lightweight circlips cars use on rubber coolant pipes around the existing metal trim. They tend to offer more even pressure than the usual sort.

:o The BE uses a fixed 10 sec infusion.

I just ran a cleaning cycle on it. The fact that the tablet is in the central depression on the rubber disk does seem to initially allow it to generate higher pressure until it's washed away.

John

-

Haha which one? The middle sage one?

I'm going to do a few for the aergrinds soon when I get chance so might pop a few on the forum if people are interested [emoji4]

Please put me on the list for an aergrind handle joey ;-)

Congratulations on the mod - amazing what you’ve done. I just hope breville/sage are watching.