alster

Supermarket beans

Have I entered the Twilight Zone and not realised it...people usually talk about whether flat tastes better than conical, the composition of water for taste, dashwoods flipping capsules, the merits of a lever vs a pumped machine.....

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Have I entered the Twilight Zone and not realised it...people usually talk about whether flat tastes better than conical, the composition of water for taste, dashwoods flipping capsules, the merits of a lever vs a pumped machine.....

Ahh, but Union are very reasonable if you don't have a friendly local roaster and don't plan well -- and end up running out! ;)

Espresso: Quick Mill Verona

Grinder: Niche Zero

Brewed: Hario V60, French press

Ahh, but Union are very reasonable if you don't have a friendly local roaster and don't plan well -- and end up running out! ;)

What is running out, I don't understand having never experienced it?

Edited by DavecUK

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

What is running out, I don't understand having never experienced it?
Anyone would think you have a sack or 2 of greens at your disosal.

Personally, on the odd occasion I do run out I prefer to pick some rested beans up from a local decent coffee shop than risk a supermarket having anything recently enough roasted.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Anyone would think you have a sack or 2 of greens at your disosal.

Personally, on the odd occasion I do run out I prefer to pick some rested beans up from a local decent coffee shop than risk a supermarket having anything recently enough roasted.

Well a sensible choice I think, otherwise I would rather go without than drink supermarket beans. tea can suffice for a day or so. In a way this is like being on a high end pen forum and talking about the merits of Bic Biros.

Well a sensible choice I think, otherwise I would rather go without than drink supermarket beans. tea can suffice for a day or so. In a way this is like being on a high end pen forum and talking about the merits of Bic Biros.

What's your favourite bic

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Well this site is rivetting, can you imagine the marketing meetings at Bic

https://www.bicworld.com/en/our-products/what-we-do

The choice is so wide.

• Razors that act like microtomes and would be good for taking skin grafts, probably not even useful for the women to shave their legs
  • Pens that are great in prison for constructing shivs, for writing, not so much. However, I do hear they have a bendy Bic, just for prison use
  • Lighters that are great for crack cocaine or freebasing and don't explode unless you abuse them like Richard Prior

Those 4 colour ones of course.

I loved those 4 coloured ones when I was little

And Etcha Sketches!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

I prefer fine point Sharpies, for drawing faces on over-sized coffee beans (not supermarket beans, obvs.)

I prefer fine point Sharpies, for drawing faces on over-sized coffee beans (not supermarket beans, obvs.)

Cos commercial beanz are not very big

[video=youtube;u1bESN-fP_g]

This thread just got immeasurably better by the unexpected, nay, non sequitur appearance of the Small Faces! Long live Steve Marriott! Now tobacco is on the back foot, maybe Ogden's should do tins of coffee beans?

(er yes I do know he's no longer with us, I met him shortly before)

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

This thread just got immeasurably better by the unexpected, nay, non sequitur appearance of the Small Faces! Long live Steve Marriott! Now tobacco is on the back foot, maybe Ogden's should do tins of coffee beans?

(er yes I do know he's no longer with us, I met him shortly before)

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Erinmores .. Light roast

St Bruno's .. Delight blend

Bulwark Plug .. A roast for men. (Current day discrimination act accepted)

Jon

One Life this is it, it's not a rehearsal so enjoy it best you can - Have some fun, buy a coffee machine.;)

ECM Synchronika - ECM V-Titan 64 Grinder - EXPOBAR MEGGACREM 2 Group - MAZZER Super Jolly grinder with doser -  AMIR Scales and they work fine - 15-18-20-22-25g VST Filter Baskets - Several MOTTA Jugs and a Home Made Knock Box. - Useful contributions from the Family.

Emergency purchase of Aldi Italian No.4 beans: Surprisingly good - tasty & reasonable strength, give a nice crema.

Really mmm

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

I can also recommend Lavazza Oro if you run out and you need something quickly :)

Emergency purchase of Aldi Italian No.4 beans: Surprisingly good - tasty & reasonable strength, give a nice crema.

my response to this and other beanz like Lavaz

Saw something unusual the other day when I was in M&S with my wife, we stopped off at the cafe for a cup of tea and sandwich and I saw them selling single origin Peruvian coffee beans that had a roasted on date on the wrapper. Interestingly enough they listed the altitude the beans came from the flavour notes, the production co-operative but the kicker was the best before date; It listed that as 4 months after the roast date. I have to admit I looked to see when the roast dates were in relation to my visit as it was beginning to sound plausible. The beans had been roasted a month before my visit.

And.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

.... temptation passed and I left them behind on the counter.

And.

They were not expensive enough to be credible :waiting:.

Jon.

One Life this is it, it's not a rehearsal so enjoy it best you can - Have some fun, buy a coffee machine.;)

ECM Synchronika - ECM V-Titan 64 Grinder - EXPOBAR MEGGACREM 2 Group - MAZZER Super Jolly grinder with doser -  AMIR Scales and they work fine - 15-18-20-22-25g VST Filter Baskets - Several MOTTA Jugs and a Home Made Knock Box. - Useful contributions from the Family.

I wondered about that, about £4 for a 227g pack. Not sure who their market is for this kind of bean. I was intrigued because of the roasted on date.

.... temptation passed and I left them behind on the counter.

Two weeks ago I tried one from their barista :)