alster

Supermarket beans

Does anyone know how long ago Starbucks beans are roasted before getting to the UK? Presuming they are roasted in the USA.

Simple www research suggests that Starbucks has a roastery in The Netherlands.

https://uk.investinholland.com/success-stories/starbucks/

So probably only a few hours to UK...if you really must!

Whole Foods in Kensington roast their own beans on site for you to bag up yourself, which I've always been pretty impressed by. Will definitely start to work my way through some of the varieties on offer and will report back.

Interesting thread!

I've been using pre ground Taylor's Italian coffee which I enjoyed in the aeropress. Recently got a hario mill to try on the whole beans but after cupping discovered its predominant flavour was ashy.

Not sure if it's my ground profile, over extracting etc. But wasn't pleasant at all

Interesting thread!

I've been using pre ground Taylor's Italian coffee which I enjoyed in the aeropress. Recently got a hario mill to try on the whole beans but after cupping discovered its predominant flavour was ashy.

Not sure if it's my ground profile, over extracting etc. But wasn't pleasant at all

its the beans

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

its the beans
@luke

I think this could be the perfect 3 word incisive answer from MrBoots.

There are so many on-line options for you to try, and the aeropress is a great device to show you all the variations.

I often enjoy beans form Climpson and Sons, but currently I am on the dregs of last months LSOL from Notes at work with aeropress - it has been great, look it up.

Would recommend you try something from @foundrycoffeeroasters...The Rocko mountain if they have any left is a blinder for me...but it might be one where you need to set your expectations to one side, because it is a little off from the mainstream.

Today I saw @Scotford hype the Curve Kayon mountain, and that left me (unfairly) damning recent purchasing choices...he gives his recommendations not lightly, and everything from curve for me has always been above the median.

experiment, find what you like, focus on it...then shift in a different direction and repeat!

Whole Foods in Kensington roast their own beans on site for you to bag up yourself, which I've always been pretty impressed by. Will definitely start to work my way through some of the varieties on offer and will report back.

Sounds like an innovative idea but, out of interest, how do they store the beans prior to you bagging your own, I wonder.

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband / 

Sounds like an innovative idea but, out of interest, how do they store the beans prior to you bagging your own, I wonder.

my bold guess: they vacuum pack individual beans

:D

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

I only drink decaf, so that narrows the choice. However, I bought a bag of ground House Decaf from M&S and ground it finer for espresso, and it's been delicious. Columbian arabica. I was surprised at how we'll it stood up to the freshly roasted beans I get from roasters. And also just £3.50 a bag. I'll definitely put this one on repeat.

Gaggia Baby 2002 and 2005, Mazzer Major, Motta 58.4mm tamper

The day we bought our machine (on impulse) we were desperate to try it out but had no whole beans at all so being Sunday we headed for Waitrose (very mindful of supermarket bean horror stories gleaned from my entire weeks worth of internet research). Our closest Waitrose in Weston super Mare did in fact have some whole beans from Roastworks in Devon and they were the only beans we found there with a roasted-on date. Some bags were 2-3 months old but a few were about 20 days so we grabbed one and that was the raw fuel for our first ever extractions :) Have since sourced from the internet (Bean Shot in Somerset and Bella Barista for the Green Bean Techno-Wok roasting experiments) and Dart Farm near Exeter who had Exe Coffee Roasters and several others some in date many not.

Head down, boogying, in a mindless, no-nonsense sort of way...

Sage Dual Boiler, Sage Smart Grinder Pro, techno-wok roaster

i tried one of these a while back (forgotten which variety im afraid) and i have to say it was almost undrinkable. i think they do it for the sake of the display, dont think they really know what they are doing coffee wise.

I got a bag of the Whole Foods Decaf. Not very fresh and very meh. M&S Decaf House 4 blend much better. Tesco Taylors decaf pretty meh as well. These are all "course" espresso ground, so I grind them finer. At least the M&S works and at £3.50 a bag it's something to keep for in between beans.

Gaggia Baby 2002 and 2005, Mazzer Major, Motta 58.4mm tamper

Has anyone tried any beans from Costco? Not sure if they sell any, but they tend to sell good quality stuff.

Why would you? if any beans Union from waitrose. some have mentioned others read the thread.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Best beans from supermarkets = none

Sourcing online = OK, but choose the right roasters and ones that put a roasted on date on the coffee.

Agree, people with supermarket beans always have problems with espresso :-D

Basic info I’ve found out- if the beans have got a best before date=avoid.

Well, that usually applies to all supermarket beans - and it might even be the law in other parts of the world.

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

As already mentioned by at least one other poster Lavazza Rosa is the only bean that behaves similar to a fresh one with a chocolaty taste if done right and decent crema. A sound back up or a cheap stock.

£3.50 to £3.70 is some supermarkets for 250g.

£7 to £9 in costco for 1kg.

I have tried many other supermarket beans...they have been all quite atrocious in particular their own brands.

Sage Duo Temp - La Cimbali 6/S A 64mm flat burr + numerous projects: Sunbeam, Ascaso, Gaggia

Around here in Austria you'll get Illy whole beans by the tin (250g I believe) everywhere - cost a fortune (a 10er or so) but work well...

says Hasi.

I've recently had Taylor's Lazy Sunday Beans, they were nicest I've had yet but I am only new to it

I second this. Good for aeropress... not awful for Espresso. In my opinion.

As others have mentioned if you need to buy in a supermarket Union Coffee available at Waitrose have a "roasted on" date on the packaging. Buy ones that are as freshly roasted as possible, the bags at the front are sometime 14 days since roasting but my store often has bags only 7 days since roast. I'm not aware of any other brands in UK supermarkets who advertise a roasted on date which is a shame.

I'm not aware of any other brands in UK supermarkets who advertise a roasted on date which is a shame.

See post #3 from Glenn - Modern Standard from Sainsbury's. Usual rules apply; go through all the bags to find the ones roasted most recently (they do provide a roast date). Having messed up my bean ordering once or twice, I have tried Modern Standard Ethiopian and Union from Waitrose (can't remember which bean). Both were alright and tided me over till my internet order arrived.

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Fully agreed here, Lavazza Rosa taste even better than many “Freshly roast” beans , but yeah depends on personal preference too. For me are the best espresso beans.