I have clocked around 15 shots and still struggling to achieve créma. I am using a Mignon grinder but don’t have the feel for how much resistance I should get. From when the burrs touch how many turns do I need and also how had do I need to pull the lever?

How much coffee are you putting in the portafilter, how much are you getting in the cup and how long is it taking?

You don't need to force the lever down it's a gentle push.

if its a brand new pav you may find that the grease on the seals makes all the crema disappear - crema is overrated and tastes of nothing, its a bit of a myth, however I think you probably need to grind finer, some reckon you should be pulling about 30lb pressure on the handle but like many things its not that simple - and for gods sake don't watch the pavoni guide to using it

and let it heat up for 15 mins and purge the boiler air from the steam wand ;)

keep calm and grind flat

I use about 12/13g of coffee

The prob is going finer will block the Mignon. Does anyone use this setup and achieve great shots?

I use about 12/13g of coffee

The prob is going finer will block the Mignon. Does anyone use this setup and achieve great shots?

Are you guessing or measuring? Consistency is key with Pavoni's. I've never used a mignon but no reason you can't achieve good results with it.

I measure but the retention is quite bad on the mignon so I am getting 12 to 13g on the filter.

I would grind into a cup, then place your basket on the scales and pour the coffee in. Put the same amount in every time. If one shot you're putting in 12g and the next 13g, that will give very different results.

If your basket comfortably takes 13g stick with that for now, tamp but don't go crazy, once the machine is up to temperature put your cup on the scales, pull the lever all the way up and allow it to pre infuse for 10 seconds and then pull it down. Stop once you get to 26g in the cup, see how long that took and what it tastes like. If it was under 20 seconds an the coffee is sour, grind finer. If it took over 30 seconds and tastes bitter go coarser.

In 25sec I get 28g coffee has always been good but crema is like the price! And would be cool to achieve it. On my Gaggia there is no prob I can achieve it

I'm dosing up between 15 and 16g in the basket for 30-32 out (depending on the coffee). I'm hand grinding with a Feldgrind and grinding pretty fine and tamping pretty light.

After a fair bit of messing about I'm doing a couple of little 'mini-pumps', then levering enough to get a covering in the bottom of the cup and then putting the lever to the top again, counting to 3 and then pulling the shot.

I remember being hugely disappointed when I bought mine. With the same grinder I had been making some cracking coffee in an aeropress and it took me at least a year to really feel good with my output on my Stradaveri.

La Pavoni Stradaveri, 2x Aeropress, 2x Feldgrind

With some beans you don't get a lot of crema, especially light roasts. If the coffee is good then enjoy it. Retention on the mignon shouldn't be that bad if you tip it forward and tap it on the back. If you're single dosing you'll get a better grind by filling the hopper and purging a few grams before your first shot. As for how hard you have to pull the lever, I used a luggage scale and trained myself to push down for 30 seconds to achieve a force equal to 13-15kg, but you can mess around with pressure profiling.

Expobar DB Office Leva IV, La Pavoni Professional -- FOR SALE: MBK HEFT, Torr Goldfinger Titan Convex & 58.55 Flat -- Ceado E8, Lido E, Pharos VDD -- 2 and 5 cup Syphons; Vintage Nicro Metal Filter -- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

Deleted

Expobar DB Office Leva IV, La Pavoni Professional -- FOR SALE: MBK HEFT, Torr Goldfinger Titan Convex & 58.55 Flat -- Ceado E8, Lido E, Pharos VDD -- 2 and 5 cup Syphons; Vintage Nicro Metal Filter -- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

I'm dosing up between 15 and 16g in the basket for 30-32 out (depending on the coffee). I'm hand grinding with a Feldgrind and grinding pretty fine and tamping pretty light.

After a fair bit of messing about I'm doing a couple of little 'mini-pumps', then levering enough to get a covering in the bottom of the cup and then putting the lever to the top again, counting to 3 and then pulling the shot.

I remember being hugely disappointed when I bought mine. With the same grinder I had been making some cracking coffee in an aeropress and it took me at least a year to really feel good with my output on my Stradaveri.

Very encouraging so I LL keep playing with the variables

With some beans you don't get a lot of crema, especially light roasts. If the coffee is good then enjoy it. Retention on the mignon shouldn't be that bad if you tip it forward and tap it on the back. If you're single dosing you'll get a better grind by filling the hopper and purging a few grams before your first shot. As for how hard you have to pull the lever, I used a luggage scale and trained myself to push down for 30 seconds to achieve a force equal to 13-15kg, but you can mess around with pressure profiling.

The shots I have pulled today were very good and syrupy. So happy with the taste. Will try different beans next week

And

I’ll start my espresso making workout as a New Year résolution .

Mines a millennium version and can easily take 15g, but usually go for 16g - it depends on the beans and whether you are getting an imprint from the shower screen (which you don’t want as you need a bit of head-space)

If you are getting tasty shots, then don’t get hung up on crema. Some scoop it off anyway as it can apparently be bitter.

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Did finer grind this am and finally got créma. I think I was to gentle with the machine and was not getting enough resistance.

@Rhys indeed the crema adds bitterness to the coffee. So nice only for photo-shots!

Thank you all!

Just got a La Pavoni and all this information is helpful. My big question is how to get the puck out of the filter basket without burning my fingers. You can’t knock it out like the standard PF.

Can’t find anything on YT or forums.

6916aea8ca6d6328551aa71bae2834a0.jpg

Mission accomplished thank you all.

Nice one, just takes a bit of time to get there. Now you can play about with the extraction and make some great tasting shots.

Just got a La Pavoni and all this information is helpful. My big question is how to get the puck out of the filter basket without burning my fingers. You can’t knock it out like the standard PF.

Can’t find anything on YT or forums.

You either need to let it cool down or if you want to make another one straight away run it under cold water.

Welcome to the club, they're great machines!