Rancilio - Will adjusting pressure affect the frothing ?

Hi All

I have been finally measuring my pressure on my Rancilio Espresso Machine, which was reading around 10 to 11 bar and have adjusted it to around 8.5 bar. Seems to be extracting a bit better now.

I find however now, when trying to froth milk, it is still very liquid and not frothy enough, yet has reached it's temperature during frothing.

Anything to do with the pressure on this? Any ideas how I can improve this? It has the single hole nozzle.

Thanks

I personally do not expect the pressure has an effect as it is for the brewing not for the steam coming out. Someone might shed more light on it.

Nothing succeeds as planned.

ACS Vesuvius, Nuova Simonelli Apia I 1 gr, San Remo 1 gr., Bezzera BZ35e, Fracino Heavenly, Saeco Via Veneto Combi de Luxe, Mythos Plus Nuova Simonelli, Anfim Super Lusso, Cunill Space, Gene Cafe

I agree on comment above. What type of milk you are using? Full fat, semi skimmed or skimmed?

Gaggia Classic 2010 PID(IMS 200µm shower screen&Brass Dispersion Plate&OPV and Steam Wand Modded) | Kinu M47 V3 Niche Zero White | Bottomless Portafilter&VST Ridgeless 18gr & 22gr  | MouMou 58mm Distribution Tool | 2X 64oz Airscapes & CoffeeVac

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply here. Thanks for the above feedback which is useful to know. I pretty much just get it switched on and let it warm up till the amber light switches off. I use full fat milk in a metal beaker and then dip the froth wand into it, about half way to 2/3rd way in and open up. it's rather noisy on the Rancilio. Heats up the milk pretty fast but hardly frothes it. What could this be down to?

Technique or something else?

Thanks

Sorry for the late reply here. Thanks for the above feedback which is useful to know. I pretty much just get it switched on and let it warm up till the amber light switches off. I use full fat milk in a metal beaker and then dip the froth wand into it, about half way to 2/3rd way in and open up. it's rather noisy on the Rancilio. Heats up the milk pretty fast but hardly frothes it. What could this be down to?

Technique or something else?

Thanks

Technique I would say, don't get too deep.....

I usually submerge to about the first line of the wand (the start of the thread when the tip's removed) to get some air in, then as the milk gets a bit warmer go a little deeper but no more than the second line (where the tip narrows and is attached to the wand).....

I also get the milk rolling horizontally in the jug rather than a vertical vortex.....

Ice cold full fat milk works best too....

Good luck.

Might also be a temperature issue as orange light off for the first time may not be hot enough to sustain decent steam. How long is it in minutes before you then start to pull a shot / steam from machine switch on?

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 105Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

a short

shoving frothing with a single hole tip

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, MaraXprofitec, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air, Niche Zero, Aergrind, IMS and VST baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, modded Gene Cafe CBR 101, BWT Bestmax PREMIUM V