Coffee Forums banner
824 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  MWJB 
#1 ·
I'm using a Sage DTP in combination with a Mazzer SJ. I'm pretty happy with the results. I drink almost exclusively (black) Americano. I'm sort of dialled in and getting a good crema with no bitterness or sourness. I use scales and aim for a 1:2 bean weight to espresso weight ratio (usually going over by 1 or 2 g). My question is, after having dialled in to this extent, do you attempt to 'fine tune' the dialling to seek to improve the flavour extraction - or do you relax and enjoy your brew without being too OCD about it
:)
? (I'm experimenting with Rave beans and am currently on Italian Job, having also tried their house special (can't remember what it's called!), and next I'll be trying Colombian Suarez.)

See less See more
#2 ·
Depends on how much more you think you might enjoy your cups. If you can't find anything wrong with them, then there's little incentive to upset the apple cart, there will be a little variation cup to cup anyway.

Maybe stick where you are for a while & think about anything you might find, that is consistent across a range of beans, that you might want to eliminate/improve?

That said, if you mostly drink Americano, you are freer to adjust your brew ratio to the longer side, as there is no real reason to stick at 1:2.

#3 ·
That's interesting what you say about extending the brew ratio. I had (probably mistakenly) thought that to do so would potentially adversely affect the flavour (i.e. assuming there was something 'magical' about this ratio, which was deemed to be the ideal to be strived for in terms of flavour extraction). So I will try that - thank you.

#4 ·
Banjoman said:
That's interesting what you say about extending the brew ratio. I had (probably mistakenly) thought that to do so would potentially adversely affect the flavour (i.e. assuming there was something 'magical' about this ratio, which was deemed to be the ideal to be strived for in terms of flavour extraction). So I will try that - thank you.
You can hit the same extraction at a huge rage of ratios. 1:2 mostly relates to a given strength in the cup. Putting more water through the puck may allow you to get higher extractions (may not, if are already in the ball park), or hit the same extraction with a weaker cup (not an issue if you are further diluting the shot).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.