IGNORED

Eureka Mignon XL dial modification

RossP

Why did you decide to go that big?

Go big or go home! I went as big as I could because dialling in requires such tiny adjustments. The bigger the knob, the easier it is to make small adjustments and the more detailed the scale you can use. 20% isn’t a great deal smaller so I think you’d still manage to fit and use a 1-100 scale but any smaller and you’d have to reduce the scale. I might make more in future if there’s demand, and if there’s demand for smaller ones I’d give that a go too.

Was thinking the same about the size. But it's quite subjective. It'll be interesting for you to see how others get on with it over a period of time.

I'll stay tentatively on the list. Since I'll be replacing my Mignon with another grinder in less than a year I won't get my money's worth but I might do it anyway. I applaud your ingenuity.

Go big or go home! I went as big as I could because dialling in requires such tiny adjustments. The bigger the knob, the easier it is to make small adjustments and the more detailed the scale you can use. 20% isn’t a great deal smaller so I think you’d still manage to fit and use a 1-100 scale but any smaller and you’d have to reduce the scale. I might make more in future if there’s demand, and if there’s demand for smaller ones I’d give that a go too.

Fair enough. I'm still in.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the interest, batch of 10 still underway. I’ve got all the materials, just been a bit short on time.

I’ve had mine fitted for 2 months now and I’m delighted with it. It does make life easier when dialling in a new coffee or making small adjustments but the real advantage is being able to switch between grind settings easily. Over Christmas I had a decaf, chocolatey Brazilian and super fruity Ethiopian on the go at the same time. So smug at one stage when I had to make 3 flat whites with each of the different beans but, of course, nobody cared.

Hopefully get looking at it soon.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Yes, still plan to finish these off at some stage. Running out of excuses now! The arrival of our second child had a much greater impact on my free time than I would have guessed. I’ve got a bit more time now but a couple of other projects have jumped the queue. Hope to have an update soon.