Moka pot - a few questions

5 hours ago, Catlady101 said:

So, the whole grinder thing went in a completely different direction...

An artist friend of mine has just finished somehting that is utterly awesome and so that is going to be delivered by pixies as they much prefer to give art than - well, " a bit of kitchen equipment" as one of them so wonderfully put it😅

So left to my own devices I completely moved away from the aergrind @Stu Beck, just becasue if something goes wrong, I would really like some help, and after falling down the video rabbit hole of @DavecUK (was watching your video from the steam thing, and then another and then came across the reiew you did of the JX series) combined with Amazon doint virtually £50 off the simple JX (not the pro) ...well I just bought one, we'll see if I can get a proper use of it, I am so new to all of this I might not get the best of it for a while, but I have so , so very much to learn, I think it will do me for a bit.

Thank-you for your help, as always, you are super helpful.

I have been thinking a lot about the grinder... I created a post and with everyone's opinion decided to either get the wilfa or a hand grinder.

After speaking with my missus we decided to go for a manual and also got scared with all the coments about aergrind so after checking and reading I decided to go for the JX as the comandante is almost double the price but I was thinking there could be a Black Friday discount? Is it worth to wait? Or shall I go while I can?

There are also good comments about the JS but it is more difficult to get as is mainly for Asian market.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, the whole grinder thing went in a completely different direction... An artist friend of mine has just finished somehting that is utterly awesome and so that is going to be delivered by pixies

To obtain proper extraction one should fill filter basket full or close to it. That is why it's important to choose correct volume/size of your moka. Here are some italian tips https://caffetti

I've added an aeropress paper on top of the coffee, so between the upper part and the coffee, so no sediments go to the upper chamber. I was impressed with the result!

5 hours ago, DavecUK said:

JX is effectively the same grinder as the JX Pro (just has the different adjuster bit on it), it has less fine adjustment, although I believe they recently added a few more adjustment points on the JX, at least that's what one of my subscribers said.

yeah, as far as I read, there was a black model with 24 and now it went to 30. JX-pro has 40 and a different system to adjust if I am not wrong..

5 hours ago, Folinho said:

There are also good comments about the JS but it is more difficult to get as is mainly for Asian market

Ordering direct from the 1z website was straightforward if you like that model? Delivered by FedEx in about 1 week, around £20 in import tax and fees.

5 hours ago, Folinho said:

could be a Black Friday discount?

Maybe, but seeing as demand for home brewing equipment is so high this year I wouldn't be too hopeful of a bargain! Not too long to wait now...

• Like 1

Last time I checked was "not available" in the website.. I read about sending and email to them but it is gonna be more tricky with the taxes when it gets here, plus I am a newbie on this, it's gonna be my first hand grinder and I think there will be more JX users to get help from... thanks anyways :)

I am gonna se around these days if I go for it or I wait till BF. @Catlady101, let us know when u get it and how it goes :) Enjoy it !

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Folinho said:

I have been thinking a lot about the grinder... I created a post and with everyone's opinion decided to either get the wilfa or a hand grinder.

After speaking with my missus we decided to go for a manual and also got scared with all the coments about aergrind so after checking and reading I decided to go for the JX as the comandante is almost double the price but I was thinking there could be a Black Friday discount? Is it worth to wait? Or shall I go while I can?

There are also good comments about the JS but it is more difficult to get as is mainly for Asian market.

I had the same dilemma, I thought should I wait for black friday - it is only a few weeks away, but then when I went to look at the same one (jx, not pro) on other retailer sites it was £50 more than on Amazon, and well, I just went for it.

Apparently it is coming from America ( bought on amazon.co.uk but they are shipping from the US) and should be with me in two weeks from order, so that is pretty fast I think, and also if I have any problems ,with buying from Amazon I can always return it easily.

I will be looking at it in the sales, just because I would like to know if I made the right choice, and kicking myself if I did not, but have, in the past, noticed something I have on my wishlist, when in the sale, was the same price as when I had added it months before, it appears it had gotten more expensive just before the sale?

With the Aergrind, if Knock were offering proper support, I think that would have swung it for me, as then it is in the UK, and parts etc available easily as opposed to it coming (technically) from an Asian company with no presence in the UK, but I have read some reviews of the service from Knock for the aergrind, the feldgrind and the aerspeed, that suggests that their grinders are really well made, usually, but if you have a problem the company is rather pants at getting back to anyone let alone providing support, so that took it out of the running for me. That may or may not be the case but just the idea that I could be sitting there unable to use my wonderful hand machine simply becuse no one replied, put me off.

The timemore chestnut x is one I considered simply because it has really good reviews as far as functionality, and for me it is good looking, but again, the price is much higher. Timemore (or TiMo as I have seen the company called on some youtube videos) does sell through UK based companies - roasters and suppliers of coffee equipment, so that would provide a local team to offer help if needed. For me, for my abilities now, it was too expensive a buy, its abilities would be wasted on me right now, as I know nothing.

hope that helps give you an idea of my thought processes in choosing the izpress JX (not pro one)  for mokka pot brewing- I did not choose the pro one, as I am not looking to make espresso now, or in any near future ( but I would really like one of those 9bar stove tops - at some point in the future) and for me, my skills, and what I am doing with my coffee set up - the JX seems, on paper, to be the next step for me - will be interested how the settings on the JX compare to my little grinder I have now, and if I can get some consistency out of it, will probably need to practice and definitely adjust grind, water, and brew times😁

• Like 1

I know nothing 😜

I am really scared of waiting and becoming more expensive or out of stock but I think I am going to wait and if that goes wrong I can always delay a bit the purchase... or ending up buying another grinder.

Timemore G1? I thought about the slim to fit in the AP but I kinda like the idea of bigger and faster now.

With Knock, really like them and nearly bought them when I saw the 2nd minor with the discount but had the same concern and as the timemore, like JX's speed.

We can maybe talk in the future about our JX´s and moka recipes hehehhee :)

@Folinho

Update:

There are 2 issues with buying from Amazon as I have done;

1: The price has gone up by £20ish so is  now £120, plus £6.00 prime shipping, Plus the import fee that amazon hold in case of import fees ( you get it back if not used, or if only partially used you get partial refund) of £21 - makes it about the same price as just buying it in the UK.

This may change back after black Friday but that leads me onto ..

2: I bought mine on the 14th from amazon UK, sold by amazon UK, fulfilled by Amazon global, delivered from Amazon in the USA. The delivery date set is between the 25th and 30th of November. 

I logged in just now to see the tracking and if it had cleared customs yet, and the tracking is saying it hasn't even been dispatched yet!

I got Amazon to call me ( you have to go through a multitude of steps and dropdowns that are not geared for this) and the helpful lady (love that they are taking calls at this hour) said that this is something amazon global needs to deal with but that they are not open 24/7 and that she would arrange a call back tomorrow.

Now, it may be that the dispatchers forgot to enter it as dispatched and therefore there is no tracking information, but it may be that they have a stock / shipping issue and that it really hasn't been dispatched a week after I paid for it. The Llady on the phone thouhgt it odd as she would have expected it to be dispatched on the next day - 15th - but until tomorrow - no clue.

SO...

I may well end upcancelling my order with Amazon after all and buying it in the UK at the higher price ( I paid £99 ish all in ), if they do indeed have stock / shipment issues.

I mention al lthis detail in case it is useful, it may be that you are fine with the faffle or it may be that this would drive you potty but thought I should let you know as you might be interested in one yourself and did not want to lead you downthe wrong path by initially siggesting amazon would be an easy option ( due to prime delivery and free returns)

I know nothing 😜

Thanks a lot for the update!

I have been regreting a bit lately cause as you said it is £20 more expensive and the shipping went from 6 to 12... but so sad to hear that is not as easy as we'd all expect through amazon.

I was waiting for BF and see how it was on amazon or get it either from aliexpress or 1zpresso website directly.. cause in the UK the cheapest I found it was £150

Hope tomorrow you get good news :)

@ Folihno - it arrived!!! - I was going to  put pictures in the "What did thePostie bring you today" section, but it now says " this tpic is closed to further replies"?? just let me check it is not something I am doing ( error behind keyboard as my son calls it).

It was shipped Tuesday am US time, and got here about an hour ago.

I have yet to make any coffee with it - will update you then, am fiddling with setting right now😺

Edited by Catlady101
place I was going to post photos is closed

I know nothing 😜

9 minutes ago, Folinho said:

I will let you know when it arrives and how... 

yes please - it would be super helpful to compare the two side by side ( the process not hte grinder as hopefully they are identical) so other can see what might suit them best - and also for me as haveonly ever bought one thing from Aliexpress ( a set of lock picks) and it took 3 months and a credit card payment retraction to get the item - but that was years and years ago, and I keep seeing things there i would like and am too chicken to try again.

Thank-you

I know nothing 😜

Well, the only time I ordered from aliexpress with my friends we had problems as well (2010).. so I haven't ordered there ever ever but my sistes does quite regular so I asked her to proceed.

It will be send to the small city I am from, so that could make things slower comparing to send it to London..

With nowadays conversion rate and vat+taxes will be around 111Gbp, pretty much as it was on Amazon before. 

The other thing is the cat, I don't know if the one from aliexpress also comes with the optional cat hahahhahaa. Love the picture :D

4 hours ago, Folinho said:

@Catlady101 How you doing with the new adquisition? As good as expected? 

I just saw it on Amazon and it is only available from another seller.. and it'd be 190 + 15 delivery...

I am having fun dialling in my new settings!

so - I have a spreadsheet, yes I am one of those, for all the grind settings and water volume ratio, water type, temperature of brewing, time of brewing etc that I made up using my old grinder.

Now I am having to change everything, because the new grinder has so many more settings, and , the best bit for me, is when it grinds, it grinds far more evenly than my little cheap one I had before. No more sifting, and rolling on paper towels to remove the chunky grinds and the fines!

I am only on coffee bean number 3 so far, as I am having to try out different grind settings, AND different brew settings, zbut so far I have not deviated too far from the recommendations on the card that came with it ( it says 1:18 - which is one full turn from "0" which in my case is 6, plus 9 clicks) -one coffee is that, one is 2 full turns and the third - I am not sure , I like it at 2 full turns and 1 click, but I tried going the other way and liked it also at 1:16 (so one full turn and 8 clicks), but it is a coffee that I had been struggling with before on my old grinder, so I have ordered some more of my most used coffee, and will experiment with that first and then go back to this Brazilian, which is driving me potty, I can feel there is more to the flavour, but am struggling to get those notes to come forward past the roast.

So - as you can see, getting a new grinder means brewing and drinking and tinkering a lot😁

I did try just one revolution - boy was that difficult to grind, and it was no good for me or the bean, over extracted right away - you could smell it as soon as it percolated through - yuch!

so - the finer you go, the tougher it is to grind - that is you need to put more welly into it.

Also - the grind, when I find one I like - takes a little longer than my cheapie grinder, but then I am getting all the beans ground exactly the same, not some right, some too big, and some too fine - goldilocks style😄

You will have so much fun when you get yours - just have plenty of beans on hand!

Also - don;t throw your old grinder away - compare and contrast as they say - I found it super helpful to brew what I used to , and hte new grind side by side to compare.

Edited by Catlady101

I know nothing 😜

Thanks for all the info! 

I never had a hand grinder before. My previous grinder was a KG79 and sold it with the machine as a set... I will have even more things to play with and to learn! hehehehe