u2jewel

ECM synchronika (changed colour)

When I ordered the Synchronika, I had no idea that anthracite (Black) finish was an option. I only saw pictures of the black version once I had received my regular SS version.

I'm happy with my Synchronika. Being still newish, I take great joy in keeping it looking new.

But in the back of my mind, everyday I'm kicking myself for not diving deeper into the internet to fully know my options. Stainless steel is shiny and beautiful, but a real handful to keep it streaks and smudge free. Being a clean-freak, I spend too much time polishing my machine after every use.. My wife thought I'd gone crazy.

Yesterday I dismantled my Grouphead for thorough greasing, and while I was at it, I was super scared of scratching my spotless SS and chrome finish. I decided enough is enough,so decided to wrap it.

Took the panels off, drove to Honda dealer across the street and asked them to wrap it for me. Here is the transformation.

Nearly identical finish to the frame (in anthracite from factory)

But here's the best part.... It cost me $8 and 20 minutes of waiting. Plus I now have far less surface area to keep polished, AND it provides scratch protection!

Going to be a bit of a hassle, but if I were to remove the Grouphead, steam and hot water wand off, I could take the front panel and have that covered too. I won't be scared of channelling if I do so...

Should I, or leave the front shiny? 3e8e595764be4d826d28e3ab9c7ed5b9.jpg68b87ca5b50d1e8f4c89843e109f6c96.jpg88cb9420bfea58ef28efbfcff125fb5e.jpg

ECM Synchronika + Profitec pro t64

V60 Ice drip + Porlex mini + Hario Buono

Oh.. While I'm at it, here's my latest set up ff9e94855d9341f1f410cea500501921.jpg

@u2jewel that looks immense. Personally I'd leave the front SS for contrast.

What made you go with the ECM out of interest?

Sage Duo Temp Pro and Mazzer Super Jolly (Doserless Mod) | Espresso Addict!

Love it! Yes, leave the front shiny!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

@u2jewel that looks immense. Personally I'd leave the front SS for contrast.

What made you go with the ECM out of interest?

Thanks!

I'm living in Vietnam at the moment, and that had a partial influential role in the decision making.

If I was back in the UK, then repairs would not have been right at the top of the list of factors and priorities.

Having scoured the web, reading everything and watching everything, even though it was marginal, I came to the conclusion that ECM and Profitec stood out in internal design, component quality, layout, and less incidences of malfunctions.

It is a matter of time before I need to replace something internally; in which case, no one locally can repair the machine for me. Ease of access, clean and logical layout kind of won me over.

At first, during the research phase, Rocket was in the lead. Partly because my knowledge of the internals of the espresso machine was still inadequate at the time, but when I saw the inside, I thought "wow! It's like a jungle of copper pipes and wires.." Same for Quickmill and Izzo.. Then I saw ECM.

I wanted a shiny stainless steel machine (contrary to what I did today!) which was an E61. To me, it screamed classic espresso!

Yeah leave it shiney - nice contrast!

Plumbed in Vesuvius - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

Looks excellent!

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

Lime green so as to not feel the odd one out.....

It doesn't matter how you get there it's only the end result that matters

Lime green so as to not feel the odd one out.....
& a fluorescent orange drip tray so your cups don't scratch it.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

That looks awesome! Having the panel around the bottom of the drip tray keeps was a nice touch. But I think I'm with everyone else - I'd keep the front shiny. Saying that, I'd love to see what it looked like if you did have it covered...

Rocket Evoluzione R 2017 | Niche Zero | VST 18g Ridgeless | Acaia Pearl | TORR 58.55mm

That looks awesome! Having the panel around the bottom of the drip tray keeps was a nice touch. But I think I'm with everyone else - I'd keep the front shiny. Saying that, I'd love to see what it looked like if you did have it covered...
Thanks!

Yes, the drip tray is where it is most exposed to abrasion. During the summer, I was pulling shots into glasses; with the bottom being smooth, until a few weeks ago it still looked brand new. Come autumn, more hot drinks (thus use of ceramics) which have a rough bottom acting like sandpaper. So I thought why not?

While I had the side /rear panels off, my intention was to take the front off too, but a few factors like a) I wanted the machine up and running that evening, b) I've had the guys wrap my motorbike before, but wasn't sure about stainless steel and their ability to do it well, and whether it would adhere properly.. A test run to see how it goes, with the intention being this an interim state. Along with everyone else, I've grown fond of this looks

The material used is just like those protective sheets (the white plastic with blue prints) on panels upon delivery when new. It's tough, stretchy and easily affordable and applicable. Just a hair dryer to stretch out the wrinkles, and a sharp razor to cut the edges and burst those small bubbles!

I think this was the picture I saw on the web that got me going.. Black_Mechanika__73567.1395717239.500.659.jpg

Looks fantastic. I have a Sage Dual Boiler. I ordered black for two reasons - easier to keep looking like new and, in black, it was significantly cheaper than the silver version. Matches my kitchen better too... win-win-win. I do love those classic looking European machines in silver(wonderful) but I know I’d scratch them and be continually wiping fingerprint / splash marks off - so went for black. So far, so good.

Love that finish you've currently achieved, I'd be a bit wary of it's longevity, probably no problem on the sides, but the front with perhaps more localised heat it may bubble or discolour.

All that said if you did it (Nothing lost) and with the passage of time it suffered you can remove it and still have the former .... go on try it ... you won't be happy till you have.

Jon.

One Life this is it, it's not a rehearsal so enjoy it best you can - Have some fun, buy a coffee machine.;)

ECM Synchronika - ECM V-Titan 64 Grinder - EXPOBAR MEGGACREM 2 Group - MAZZER Super Jolly grinder with doser -  AMIR Scales and they work fine - 15-18-20-22-25g VST Filter Baskets - Several MOTTA Jugs and a Home Made Knock Box. - Useful contributions from the Family.