jlarkin

Wow, that website, bag, cup is lovely and here is why...

Hi All, I'm in research mode currently. I've looked at a lot of websites and other media - from speciality coffee companies - over the years and I have a few thoughts myself on ones that I've really enjoyed.

So I wondered what company or companies have you been really impressed by?

I love a cup of good coffee but just for this thread, I'm less interested in how delicious it was eventually (unless it was a jarring disconnect between marketing and end product?) than what marketing or information you were impressed by or that made you buy that coffee in the first place.

-------------------

I'll start - I really enjoyed Tom's video on the craft house coffee website. I had already ordered before but I enjoyed how personable he seemed right from the off - that opening question and response just dragged me in: https://www.crafthousecoffee.co.uk/pages/the-roastery first video on this page.

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

Foundry for me. Great coffee, Lee is always very responsive, knowledgable and helpful. I sometimes feel bad about abusing the free shipping and CFUK discount. I usually don’t order that many beans, but it becomes really good value if you get it just over £30.

I really liked Avenue Coffee, but mainly because it used to be 5 minutes away from home, had great coffee and the staff was brilliant. Unfortunately, most of those folk left and the shop is closed for now.

Thanks Paul for your thoughts.

I have to say, this didn't quite take off like I hoped :-)

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

Thanks Paul for your thoughts.

I have to say, this didn't quite take off like I hoped :-)

Talor and Jorgesen? Love the simplicity.

Atkinsons new website is clean looking.

Although there used to be way too much info before you got to tasting notes. Not looked hard enough yet to see if they have rectified this.

They were filming new clips that will appear on there soon.

Always had a soft spot for square mile website.

The HasBean bags branding is iconic and eye catching. Although they never seem to reseal very well.

I like the style of the gardelli retail bags, the shape (pouch like).

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Ditto re. Talor & Jorgen, at a glance you can pick coffees by taste notes. A lot of other sites have impressive detail & selection, but it can be a chore clicking on every country of origin, then every farm, then every process just to see what the taste notes are. Some sites are more like a level in the Crystal Maze.

I tend to go for coffee that will actually fit through my letterbox if ordering a delivery by post, bizarre how many companies cannot post you a bag of coffee, a recent delivery of 250g could have had a briefcase in it. Hasbean, James Gourmet, Union, Workshop are a few I can think of off the top of my head, that fit through a letterbox.

Wasteful packaging irritates me (boxes in boxes, bags wrapped in tissue).

Gardelli bags - hmmm, I like the look, size & shape, but boy did I feel a bit of a twit when I pulled the little tab & it came off in my hand...leaving me needing a knife to open the bag! :-)

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

I’ve been having a think.

The new Dog & Hat Founder Member's sub drew me in, and they delivered! Good info, excellent beans, well packed but not overly so, good communication with a personal touch (just the right level). I hope they keep living up to such a good start!

Naturally Foundry, no explanation needed!

Square Mile, reliable, excellent beans, good packaging (I’m not bothered about it fitting through the letter box as we don’t have one).

Round Hill - ordered after a fab LSOL bean and not disappointed.

I need to think back a bit further and come back . . .

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles  /  1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  /  Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1  /  Kalita wave  /  Stag kettle  /  OCD  /  Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer  /  gold B Plus stirrer  /  Push Tamper  /  Puqpress  /  15g & 18g vst  /  IMS 35μM  /  LDT  /  Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers  /  LW Bean Cellars & Caddy  /  Decent thermometer  /  Acme Evo 150ml cups  /  Espazzola  /  Hottop  /  Acme and Loveramics cups /  embroidered by me bar towels  /  coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  /  in the cellars: North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass  /  6 gorgeous guineas  /  a dog  /  a very lovely and understanding husband 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MildredsBarTowels

I like dog and hat’s website and their approach. Su was excellent when I had an issue (not their fault) with my first delivery and that sort of service will keep my loyalty to a product/brand.

Im new to speciality coffee but from what I’ve learnt in a short amount of time there are hundreds of sources of good coffee just in the UK and to be honest nobody ever needs to order from the same one twice as there is so much choice. The key of success in this business long term (and most businesses) has to be repeat business although the speciality coffee scene seems to be enjoying a huge growth stage so new customers are keeping the tills ringing for many I’m sure.

So for me the ones that stand out have something else to offer me. That could be videos on YouTube, detailed info on the coffees origin on their website, active social media presence and therefore customer interaction, strong branding - square mile, hasbean and Foundry meet a lot of these for me. Foundry’s site doesn’t seem to work well on mobile though (iOS) which is annoying.

R58, Niche (midnight black), IMS screen, VST Basket, Acaia Pearl, Torr GF, Feldgrind, V60, Kalita 185 and loads of other stuff I probably don't need :)

For me Drop Coffee wins the packaging award. The simplistic cardboard boxes with the "Drop blue" bag inside just feels premium, stylish yet also environmentally friendly.

The Foundry "letterbox friendly" outer boxes win the best postage box award for actually fitting 350G through my letterbox! Genius!

In terms of website, Has Bean really sets the bar for me with excellent product pages, videos, brew guides and full cupping scores for each coffee.

Im really impressed by quality of CoffeeCompass' beans and their customer service speed. I contacted them twice and they replied within 5minutes. Good choice of beans and cfuk discount makes it even better value.

Gaggia Classic 2010 PID(IMS 200µm shower screen&Brass Dispersion Plate&OPV&Steam Wand Modded) | Kinu M47 V3 Niche Zero White | Bottomless Portafilter&VST Ridgeless 15gr and 18gr  | MouMou 58mm Distribution Tool | 2X 64oz Airscapes & CoffeeVac

I think the question needs Re iterating again.

It's not who you buy from and how tasty or cheap they are but what about their marketing, social media presence, merchandise, or website that drew you to em in the first place.

It's kinda given that you enjoy who you buy from and the beans are tasty.

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Interesting question

my thoughts in no particlualr order...

I tend not to order from SQM but I do find their website great to use and do like the overall design, simplicity and branding

Extract is another that have a very clean, user friendly website and put effort into marketing

Dark arts is an interesting brand but doesn’t really appeal to me

I find the HasBean website has a bit too much choice for my liking - never know which one to order as there are so many

Roundhill’s (fairly new) packaging is nice and goes down well with the wife

Foundry and CHC have a certain personal feel about them from the founders which gives me a sense of loyalty towards them (both through interactions here and social media)

i almost once ordered from Dark woods as I knew my wife would love the packaging (high delivery charge stopped me)

North star seem to be building a decent brand up in Leeds with the launch of their cafe

Same with Caravan and their roll out in London - I find their website feels like they are trying to be cool a bit too much, but well designed nonetheless

I follow a lot of roasters on instagram which I find very interesting. La Marzocco seem to be really jacking up their marketing here in the UK (following a big effort in the states). I do love the brand

LM Linea Mini, Mythos

Talor and Jorgesen? Love the simplicity.

Atkinsons new website is clean looking.

Although there used to be way too much info before you got to tasting notes. Not looked hard enough yet to see if they have rectified this.

They were filming new clips that will appear on there soon.

Always had a soft spot for square mile website.

The HasBean bags branding is iconic and eye catching. Although they never seem to reseal very well.

I like the style of the gardelli retail bags, the shape (pouch like).

I agree on T&J, love the simplicity and flavour-led approach. Just noticed they state their purchase cost which is something I’ve never seen before

LM Linea Mini, Mythos

as a non-UK resident, I am impressed with the cheap SQM shipping (when ordering under 800g), actually cheaper or the same like some shops/roasters within the country

and I know I'll get a really nice beans

I also liked to shop with Foundry

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, MaraXprofitec, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air, Niche Zero, Aergrind, IMS and VST baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, modded Gene Cafe CBR 101, BWT Bestmax PREMIUM V

The Square Mile website is really simple to use and I really love their packaging.

DE1+, Monolith conical

The Square Mile website is really simple to use and I really love their packaging.

It IS! A friend ebays tractor parts and loves our SQM boxes :)

While I love everything about Foundry, I wish their website didn’t have their logo filling the top half of the screen on every page. Only a minor niggle and not a criticism.

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles  /  1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  /  Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1  /  Kalita wave  /  Stag kettle  /  OCD  /  Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer  /  gold B Plus stirrer  /  Push Tamper  /  Puqpress  /  15g & 18g vst  /  IMS 35μM  /  LDT  /  Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers  /  LW Bean Cellars & Caddy  /  Decent thermometer  /  Acme Evo 150ml cups  /  Espazzola  /  Hottop  /  Acme and Loveramics cups /  embroidered by me bar towels  /  coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  /  in the cellars: North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass  /  6 gorgeous guineas  /  a dog  /  a very lovely and understanding husband 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MildredsBarTowels

It IS! A friend ebays tractor parts and loves our SQM boxes :)

While I love everything about Foundry, I wish their website didn’t have their logo filling the top half of the screen on every page. Only a minor niggle and not a criticism.

doesn’t work well on mobile either which is a shame

R58, Niche (midnight black), IMS screen, VST Basket, Acaia Pearl, Torr GF, Feldgrind, V60, Kalita 185 and loads of other stuff I probably don't need :)

For me SQM always understood simplicity and design quite well, I like the packaging, like the boxes, like their logo and website. Call me an SQM fan boy, but if I want a reliable bean which tastes good I go with them and it just works.

T.

Espresso: Londinium L1, ZR-71 grinder

Photography: Flickr