Obnic

Managing Nipper’s Internet Experience

Looking for some advice.

My two girls are great kids but internet-naive and young. Today they told me excitedly that they’d just watched Pitch Perfect 3 (streamed pirate copy it seems). A few months back we (parents) had several kids engaging in a chat forum that clearly had some undesirable members - it was all embedded in a game about princesses.

I want to be able to limit their exposure a bit, not just to avoid explicit or illegal stuff and malware, but also to channel their internet experience away from mind-numbing, time-burning blockworldtube flotsam.

We are an exclusively Apple house with iMacs, iPads and iPhones. I’m looking for central management of all devices if possible. The router is provided by my ISP so limited functionality.

I am looking at Qustodio at the moment. What have you guys deployed?

Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.

Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

Good question. I have boys 5 and 7 and they have discovered the delights of minecraft. Slippery slope ahead...

I think basic Apple or ISP family safety settings wise but nothing out there is foolproof IMHO. The rule in our house is that anything connected is used in public rooms only when a parent is about.

Internet access only allowed when in view of the rest of the (adult) house goes a long way to preventing problems. Or at least nipping them in the bud.

ie no access in bedrooms etc.

In our case, our lasses son (who is 19 next week) lives on online games. He is probably more clued up with computers than most people (and is currently at uni doing computer programming..) so we can't do owt as he'll simply bypass it in minutes :rolleyes: On the upside, if anything happens with our computers/internet, he's the one that usually fixes it.

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Niche

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

.... and if you want access to places you don't want them to go then configure your computer to use a different dns server

If you fancy getting quite technical then there is a raspberry pi solution called pi-hole.

Originally designed to combat all the advertising that slows down your internet experience and uses bandwidth, it might work well for this.

To deploy I feel you will need to build and learn quite a bit about raspberry-pi but hey it was designed to help kids learn wasn't it 33ytjiv.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/

https://pi-hole.net/

+1 for OpenDNS. I've used it for years at home and professionally. It's free for home use and it will apply to any machine on your wifi, including your children's friends' phones.

Of course if any of them understands DNS this won't work.

As you're an Apple home, you could also have a look at the profile options they provide. It'll take a little reading but it's not complicated. You could deploy a profile which contains the WiFi connection password, but also enforces other settings such as your DNS settings.

Or get your hands on their devices and use restrictions, with a password only you know: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201304

"Coffee: The Good, The Bad, and The Ayurvedic Perspective"

Behave yourself.

Qostodio working very nicely. You should have heard the howls of frustration as they tried to access blockprincessworld instead of doing prep. My work here is done.

Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.

Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler