CageyH

My ECM Synchronika journey

Cagey might correct me, but I think it's the h28.5

I'm just going by the looks of the basket. And if it is that, then yeah, at the current grind size, needs quite a bit more.

Like 20g and over. But only if it is the basket I think it is.

There is laser inscription on the side

If the basket is h28.5, it's supposed to take anything from 18g to 22g.

ECM Synchronika + Profitec pro t64

V60 Ice drip + Porlex mini + Hario Buono

(hiccup)

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

If the basket is h28.5, it's supposed to take anything from 18g to 22g.

I'm not sure if you can say 'anything between', more like from 18g of a very dark roast to 22g of very light roast :)

I've used the same with Rancilio Silvia and usually dosed 20g of the medium roasts

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

It’s a IMS E61 Competition Filter Basket 16/20g - B702TCH26E basket - to give it the full description.

ECM Synkronika

Mazzer Mini E Model A

Cupboard full of beans

Depends on the roast level and headroom to the shower screen then..you'll have to experiment what works best. I'd suggest 18 g of medium roast.

I have upped the dose to 18g, and it seems to be a bit better combined with a finer grind.

Thanks for the help.

ECM Synkronika

Mazzer Mini E Model A

Cupboard full of beans

Sme more visitors stayed last night, so I did the coffee this morning.

Americanos, lattes and espressos. Not a single complaint.

It has led me to the conclusion that the easiest way of avoiding the "burnt coffee" taste is to upgrade the wife.

Now THAT upgrade can be the most expensive upgrade of all!

ECM Synchronika, Olympus 75E, and, er..... stuff.

It is just over a year since the machine was delivered.

The wife still prefers my old machine, but that now lives at work.

i really think it may be down to the switch from conical to flat grinder, so I am tempted by a Niche.

The only thing stopping me is that I like the coffee, so I am reluctant to change anything.

The machine has been faultless and has averaged about 4 coffees a day.

Not a lot of use, but weekdays it only normally does the first coffee of the day.

ECM Synkronika

Mazzer Mini E Model A

Cupboard full of beans

Great read and great machine - congrats, I’ve had mine for just over a year now too.

I read a few times in this thread that someone suggested to forget about the single dose basket. With the size cup I use the single basket provides the perfect strength coffee so it was something that I needed to master. Not only that I only use half the coffee so it works out cheaper.

To get the single dose to work you need to get everything close to perfect and get an intimate feel for the relationship between the bean type, grind size, humidity, tamping pressure and weight. I had to purchase an accurate scale and ended up getting the Brewista, I also purchased a tamper that tamps to 30lbs. Generally the weight that works for me is 9.6 grams (note: this doesn’t produce enough grounds to be level with the top of the basket (before tamping)).

The weight varies slightly depending on humidity and time since roasted, but it usually doesn’t vary enough to cause a failed shot. I purchase the same blend of beans from a local roaster who knows the importance of consistency and roasts this blend fresh every day. 750 grams lasts me roughly two weeks, and that is sealed in air tight packaging.

I had to replace the original black gasket for the blue after finding the red not quite thick enough. The blue actually made a difference to the final shot of coffee, so seals in this case do matter because they serve to keep the porter-filter a certain distance from the screen. The original black gasket shrunk enough to allow the coffee to touch the screen which caused problems for the single shot. Once I installed the blue gasket the porter-filter handle was tight at 6 o’clock and the coffee no longer touched the screen.

So with this set up I’m able to get a consistently great tasting single dose. W.

ECM Synchronika Espresso Machine, Profitec Pro T64 Grinder, 30lb Espro Tamper, Brewista Scale.

Hello Wayne.

Its a good idea to list your equipment in your profile, it helps in respect of people giving advice and the like.

Is it a Sychronika that you have ?.

Jon.

One Life this is it, it's not a rehearsal so enjoy it best you can - Have some fun, buy a coffee machine.;)

ECM Synchronika - ECM V-Titan 64 Grinder - AMIR Scales and they work fine - 15-18-20-22-25g VST Filter Baskets - Several Jugs and a Home Made Knock Box. - Useful contributions from the Family.

Hi Jon, Indeed it’s a Synchronika.

ECM Synchronika Espresso Machine, Profitec Pro T64 Grinder, 30lb Espro Tamper, Brewista Scale.

Hi Jon, Indeed it’s a Synchronika.

Welcome to our world ... a tad belated but it'll soon be Christmas :time-out:.

Jon.

One Life this is it, it's not a rehearsal so enjoy it best you can - Have some fun, buy a coffee machine.;)

ECM Synchronika - ECM V-Titan 64 Grinder - AMIR Scales and they work fine - 15-18-20-22-25g VST Filter Baskets - Several Jugs and a Home Made Knock Box. - Useful contributions from the Family.

The wife has just shattered my world.

She has finally told me that she does not like the coffee I made her!

Apparently it is too strong and she prefers the old machine. I think I need to pour a longer shot for her, as this was a 30ml espresso shot.

I know exactly how you feel. Took me months to get it to the liking of my wife!

ECM Elektronika, Grinder #1: Eureka Mignon Specialita 16CR, Grinder #2: Eureka Mignon Mk2, Decent tamper V2, Decent funnel, Decent portafilter stand, ECM tamping station, ECM Knockbox drawer, Decent milk jugs, Decent milk thermometer, Loveramics cups

Posted (edited)
It is just over a year since the machine was delivered.

The wife still prefers my old machine, but that now lives at work.

I know exactly how you feel. Took me months to get it to the liking of my wife!

Eventually I finally solved the discrepancy in our coffees, or should I say the consistency of Madams by using a pair of scales.

I6GwvYwl.jpg

Depending how her taste buds are on any particular day I can adjust the next brew either way, its worked for us.

Incidentally I changed the double outlet socket with a one fitted with USB outputs to power the scales and the scales ideally slip under the machine perfectly.

Jon.

Edited by xpresso
more info

Great idea!

What was the discrepancy? Just different weights? How do you adjust it differently for your wife separately from your own?

Those scales look neat - what are they?

ECM Elektronika, Grinder #1: Eureka Mignon Specialita 16CR, Grinder #2: Eureka Mignon Mk2, Decent tamper V2, Decent funnel, Decent portafilter stand, ECM tamping station, ECM Knockbox drawer, Decent milk jugs, Decent milk thermometer, Loveramics cups

Posted (edited)

Morning Alex. the system works well for us as Madam does not like her coffee to strong.

I have two of theses .......

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Backlight-0-01-500g-Operated-Jewellery/dp/B07L2SNGPQ/ref=pd_sbs_107_40?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07L2SNGPQ&pd_rd_r=2983552b-4633-11e9-a7db-130ec618c342&pd_rd_w=jRzlb&pd_rd_wg=QPBcG&pf_rd_p=18edf98b-139a-41ee-bb40-d725dd59d1d3&pf_rd_r=VX157KCV70Z4B9P3V2X2&psc=1&refRID=VX157KCV70Z4B9P3V2X2

(Where's Ash when I need him)

They really go under the name of 'Digital scale' and then many of the suppliers apply their name and charge what they think the market will stand or what profit they are content with.

Like I said they slip under the machine very neatly, the difficulty I had was getting L/H out mini USB cables, I had to settle for white in the end and not the best of cable, so that search goes on.

Our current 'Fix' is 22g in a 20g VST basket, double spout P.F. and when Madams cup reaches 12g @ 20 sec, I slide my cup and scale across to enjoy the rest at approx 45g @ 40 sec.

It really helps the atmosphere and Marg is quite happy that any change in supposed strength are where her taste buds are subject to what she may have consumed earlier.

She will comment if I change the beans and ask me to adjust either way which I find 2g works fine.

Jon.

Edited by xpresso
text

Morning Alex. the system works well for us as Madam does like her coffee to strong.

I have two of theses .......

(Where's Ash when I need him)

They really go under the name of 'Digital scale' and then many of the suppliers apply their name and charge what they think the market will stand or what profit they are content with.

Like I said they slip under the machine very neatly, the difficulty I had was getting L/H out mini USB cables, I had to settle for white in the end and not the best of cable, so that search goes on.

Our current 'Fix' is 22g in a 20g VST basket, double spout P.F. and when Madams cup reaches 12g @ 20 sec, I slide my cup and scale across to enjoy the rest at approx 45g @ 40 sec.

It really helps the atmosphere and Marg is quite happy that any change in supposed strength are where her taste buds are subject to what she may have consumed earlier.

She will comment if I change the beans and ask me to adjust either way which I find 2g works fine.

Jon.

You rang?

Laissez les bons temps rouler

You rang?

A message from Heaven to realise a gross error in my wording, or the omission of said ' Madam does like her coffee to strong' SHOULD READ ' Madam, (Marg) DOESN'T like her coffee to strong' ....... hence I can vary subject to feed back, between 8 - 12g for Marg's cup, as usual I get the dregs !!!.

Thank You Ash for allowing me to put the record straight :starving: .... not till breakfast.

Jon.