Phil104

London Coffee Festival 2018

No - remarkably little. Very few roaster brought any. The only one I'd recommend is Union Rwanda. Taylor St Columbian was delicious, but they didn't have any bags for sale on the stand. I scrounged some by goodwill. I was after single origins. There were four or five blends which I passed over. Union's bags were £5 but some roasters were charging as much as £10 for 250g.

£10 per bag seems par for the course sadly. eliminates the need to keep change, and maybe other reasons.

Anyone been there today? I am reasonably local and was thinking of going from 2pm to 4pm tomorrow, but wondering about crowd density.

Trick is I will be looking after my 4 month old son who i would be carrying in his sling. He would love going I’m sure (had him out for 4 hours in it today, and he just loves such outings) but if the crowds are really elbow to elbow (as opposed to just having queues for things, which is fine) it could be a bit naff. Also how loud is it there?

thanks.

Fracino Ariete (Classico nowadays), Niche Zero, VST 15g; for work an Aeropress, but still seeking a hand grinder for it...

Anyone been there today? I am reasonably local and was thinking of going from 2pm to 4pm tomorrow, but wondering about crowd density.

Trick is I will be looking after my 4 month old son who i would be carrying in his sling. He would love going I’m sure (had him out for 4 hours in it today, and he just loves such outings) but if the crowds are really elbow to elbow (as opposed to just having queues for things, which is fine) it could be a bit naff. Also how loud is it there?

thanks.

They had a band today in one part but the place is on 3 floors at least and the rest of it was just a medium loud bustle, with some quieter seating areas. The problem you might get is that there's a lot of jostling in the aisles, which are only just wide enough for people to pass both ways when you have people standing there as well. If you have your son in one of those bag things in front of you it should work. There were some young children there and buggies as well.

Gaggia Baby 2002 and 2005, Mazzer Major, Motta 58.4mm tamper

Yeah I went today. Met Martin and his wife. Got to play with the niche grinder as well. I was quite impressed with how simple it is to use. Looks even better in person.

They had a band today in one part but the place is on 3 floors at least and the rest of it was just a medium loud bustle, with some quieter seating areas. The problem you might get is that there's a lot of jostling in the aisles, which are only just wide enough for people to pass both ways when you have people standing there as well. If you have your son in one of those bag things in front of you it should work. There were some young children there and buggies as well.

Perfect info, thanks Les, should work for me then. Bag-thing it is!

If I get a ticket for 1 - 4 and get there at 2:30pm, do they really kick you out at 4pm, or how does that work?

Fracino Ariete (Classico nowadays), Niche Zero, VST 15g; for work an Aeropress, but still seeking a hand grinder for it...

Yeah I went today. Met Martin and his wife. Got to play with the niche grinder as well. I was quite impressed with how simple it is to use. Looks even better in person.

I would love to meet them and have a chat. Probably one of the most interesting reasons for me to go (I have enough coffee already!).

Anyone else on the forum planning to be there in the afternoon?

OK so I bought a ticket from their website. It says I must print it. Seriously? What millennium are they in? Can anyone confirm if showing the barcode on your phone is good enough. Printing will require me to waste 45m tomorrow (walk to work, print, walk back). But that’s better than being reshuffled entry.

OK so I bought a ticket from their website. It says I must print it. Seriously? What millennium are they in? Can anyone confirm if showing the barcode on your phone is good enough. Printing will require me to waste 45m tomorrow (walk to work, print, walk back). But that’s better than being reshuffled entry.

good - the stewards are very relaxed and informal, and have to move people through quickly because of the queues

problem? - they tear the ticket at the barcode to show they've seen it.

Don't actually know the answer but may well be OK, guessing since the stewards are so relaxed, mostly in their 20s and in a good mood. Sun was shining today, Sat, it was lovely.

Gaggia Baby 2002 and 2005, Mazzer Major, Motta 58.4mm tamper

I went with my brother. Both of us had pdf tickets on mobile. Not wasting paper unless absolutely necessary! You should definitely meet them and hear their story. Wonderful people.

I went with my brother. Both of us had pdf tickets on mobile. Not wasting paper unless absolutely necessary! You should definitely meet them and hear their story. Wonderful people.

That’s good to hear, thanks. I guess I’ll chance that the stewards I meet are as nice as the ones you did. Still unimpressed they don’t just say that’s okay though! How much paper is being wasted by bad instructions?

That’s good to hear, thanks. I guess I’ll chance that the stewards I meet are as nice as the ones you did. Still unimpressed they don’t just say that’s okay though! How much paper is being wasted by bad instructions?

No problem for me either, they took the pdf.

Did anyone go visit the Niche booth there? Was Martin there in person?

He was indeed, I had a good chat with him about it and he did a great few demos with it. Thoroughly impressed and glad I'm getting one!

These are the pics I took yesterday, & I paid a visit to Hasbean's pop up market round the corner as well. I had a pretty OK time, met up with a few of my twitter peeps too. Had a bit of a scare when I thought I'd lost my car keys at one point while I was in there.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/T17PoSqHIkvlltep2

grimleyplex = 2002-2019 R.I.P. :(

Thanks for the photos @Grimley. Am surprised how empty the venue looks. I was there for the Lunch session yesterday and it was much busier.

Great pictures Grimley... saw you met up with Brian and spotted Gwilym. I will get round to doing a note of my day (brilliant) and putting up some pictures. I think it was the best ever, helped by spreading onto the fourth floor and some wonderful chance encounters.

I would love to meet them and have a chat. Probably one of the most interesting reasons for me to go (I have enough coffee already!).

Anyone else on the forum planning to be there in the afternoon?

Even if you have enough coffee, taste and talk - no one expects you to buy anything and everyone is happy, happy to talk about their passion. Go and find the Colonna stand (it's by the VIP entrance - and see the Peak water filter jug. Dave Stanton and Crankhouse, by Origin and Push tampers and Bake for Syria...all up on the 4th floor (where the VIP lounge is), quieter and lighter but it's all amazing.

My Pleasure. I wanted to make sure that everyone here who couldn't or didnt want to go, got a sense of what its like in the festival. I did take a fair few of them straight away & I was one of the first in too before the 'hordes' stampede into the place & make it manic. The ground floor was OK but the first & second floors were packed like sardines in places. I left about 1.15 as I'd been round the festival a few times by then, I didn't want any more coffee before I left until I had something to eat (I was starving) & I had some weekend chores to do too before going home.

Great pictures Grimley... saw you met up with Brian and spotted Gwilym. I will get round to doing a note of my day (brilliant) and putting up some pictures. I think it was the best ever, helped by spreading onto the fourth floor and some wonderful chance encounters.

I met up with brian as I wanted him to sign a copy of his new book. said copy is being auctioned for charity later in the year. If it falls short of its reserve I'll sell it on here with the proceeds going to the same charity (with @Glenn permission)

I met up with brian as I wanted him to sign a copy of his new book. said copy is being auctioned for charity later in the year. If it falls short of its reserve I'll sell it on here with the proceeds going to the same charity (with @Glenn permission)

We (my daughter and I) did the same although less altruistically, we wanted personal copies plus a copy for one of my mates. In any event, I'm a regular reader of the Coffee Spot and wanted a chance to say, 'hello', which we did. He is a really friendly, interesting bloke isn't he? We may have overlapped, then, although since I was wearing my Forum T-shirt, you will have spotted me.

These are the pics I took yesterday, & I paid a visit to Hasbean's pop up market round the corner as well. I had a pretty OK time, met up with a few of my twitter peeps too. Had a bit of a scare when I thought I'd lost my car keys at one point while I was in there.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/T17PoSqHIkvlltep2

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing :)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

My picks of the day. Met Eddie from round hill again, Dave from cranckhouse and picked up some Bailies on @Scotford 's recommendation. They had sold out of the Ethiopian guji unfortunately. All three of these guys are brilliant. Loved chatting to them.

Also, got to see the Niche. It's awesome! Got him to take burrs out to see retention. Nothing there! Wish I'd ordered one too!

And got to play with the Marzocco leva. Completely personal opinion here but it ruins every aspect of a lever for me..

Top tasting coffee of the day for me was Panama geisha from Clifton roasters, Panama from @Redemptionroasters and actually Panama again from union. Strawberries and bananas galore. All were filter. aa14a0652d7429cc7a96334febf87976.jpg

LR - EK43S; Ceado E37S; Aergrind; Comandante MK3 - Syphon & V60 - patience

@Grimley - thanks for sharing the pics, I’ve yet again managed to have something on over LCF, so living vicariously through others in this instance!

As an aside, if anyone has a tote that is surplus to requirements/heading for the bin, I’d happily take it off your hands

V60 - Sage DTP - Sette 270 - Feldgrind

I think my highlight was probably chance encounter with @Scotford

Close second meeting Tom from Craft House Coffee and the ice cream from the Has Bean pop up was delicious. UKBC Sig drink as an ice cream.

IMG_20180413_103819.jpg

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

I think my highlight was probably chance encounter with @Scotford

AWWWW! Not gonna lie, I ended up hammering it a bit too much after catching up with all that I needed to! Stayed until about 5 in the end. Good to catch up with you too!

'it's all about the microbubbubbles'