fatboyslim

LSOL November - Drop Coffee [Stockholm]

Back to 93c today. I think I've found the sweeter spot.

19=> 37g 28 secs. Citrus up front, creamy then mixed sort of stone fruit.

19=>42g 28 secs (same grind setting!?!) less acidity, sweeter, a more balanced shot more fruit coming through, creamy and a floral element to it. I'm crap at trying to describe tastes, I do t know hibiscus tastes like but I'm sure it's in the.;)

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

For all of the Mazzer users out there I'm grinding a full 1 notch finer than my normal espresso range.

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

Huge change for me this morning.

The first shot was a bland sink shot.

Then I dropped the fineness of the grind a touch to bring out a little more flavour. A little less tamping and increased to a 13.5g dose

Result = 27.0 and 27.5g out over 32s.

Both shots were hugely punchy with lime yet creamy and sweet.

Really lovely.

I want to play around a little more, but its great!

Likewise - no idea what hibiscus tastes like.

I'm not a fan of the hugely bright and acidic apple-ish coffees so its a surprise to find myself liking something with a bright element to it. Perhaps the balance of the creamy sweetness helps.

Its been a great experience. Thanks to Drop and those of you at coffee forums who set this up and made it happen.

La Pavoni Europiccola Millenium - Porlex mini - Eureka Mignon Mk2

Managed to get this dialed in using an R120 and Londinium L1-P at the forum day. Very tasty and creamy. Was a good few notches finer usual range.

Someone mentioned that extracting longer than 1:2 might still be quite tasty. Going to try this tomorrow.

2nd attempt at espresso.. I always tend to go long with milk so this was 15.5g>40g in 35s +12s pi, finer grind (feld 1.2) longer pull (at lower more ideal temp) getting much less acidity, not huge body, still bright but actually quite creamy now and very gluggable with milk. Very different to the bright acidic previous attempt at my usual grind setting of 1.4 but that got a bit messed up (was distracted and missed out the flush which magically became the pi.. pull was a bit easy at 25s and temp a bit high).

pavoni europiccola + niche zero / feld47 : now using James Bond's *coffee* steaming technique

Managed to get this dialed in using an R120 and Londinium L1-P at the forum day. Very tasty and creamy. Was a good few notches finer usual range.

Someone mentioned that extracting longer than 1:2 might still be quite tasty. Going to try this tomorrow.

I did an experimental/accidental 1:3 and found it bland. It was the first shot of the day though and for the pavoni, that means she can be a bit temperamental. It will be interesting to see how you get on.

2nd attempt at espresso.. I always tend to go long with milk so this was 15.5g>40g in 35s +12s pi, finer grind (feld 1.2) longer pull (at lower more ideal temp) getting much less acidity, not huge body, still bright but actually quite creamy now and very gluggable with milk. Very different to the bright acidic previous attempt at my usual grind setting of 1.4 but that got a bit messed up (was distracted and missed out the flush which magically became the pi.. pull was a bit easy at 25s and temp a bit high).

15.5g

Thats interesting.

My best shots with this coffee have been 13.5g in my europiccola, and ground finer than anything I've had before.

Normally, I'm 12-13g as over comes into contact with the shower screen and things get messy and have never produced a good drink for me.

Yesterdays was ground finer, 12.5g and a very firm tamp. results were less acidity & more creaminess.

Lets see what tomorrow brings... ;)

I've been experimenting within my usual range of grind settings for Chemex and other pour over methods for the past week but I've yet to reveal any truly discernible flavour notes. It's perfectly pleasant to drink, but am I missing something? (P.S. Vario grinder and good old Edinburgh tap water)

I've been experimenting within my usual range of grind settings for Chemex and other pour over methods for the past week but I've yet to reveal any truly discernible flavour notes. It's perfectly pleasant to drink, but am I missing something? (P.S. Vario grinder and good old Edinburgh tap water)
Your water is too hard. This coffee is very sensitive to sub-nominal water...

Can you tell us anything about your brew recipes (weights, timings, pour regime)?

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Handgrinding these beans for espresso is a suicide mission. It’s like grinding rocks.

Had few espressos and a flat white, but didn’t find it too exciting. I had some Foundry’s San Francisco and few other exciting beans I was finishing off, so it’s hard to compete with one of the most favourite beans of the year.

Been running through this both as flat whites and V60.

Got the lime through the flat white this morning, and definitely see the hibiscus (which is a flavour I happen to like - fruit teas are always a winner with me) through the V60.

Finding the draw through time on the V60 is a bit longer than usual.

Second bag is frozen, so will see how that fares when I come to it.

V60 - Sage DTP - Sette 270 - Feldgrind

15.5g

Thats interesting.

My best shots with this coffee have been 13.5g in my europiccola, and ground finer than anything I've had before.

Normally, I'm 12-13g as over comes into contact with the shower screen and things get messy and have never produced a good drink for me.

Yesterdays was ground finer, 12.5g and a very firm tamp. results were less acidity & more creaminess.

Lets see what tomorrow brings... ;)

Good point! I use an Edesia basket which is 3mm deeper but still fits the standard portafilter and allows about 2g more coffee. It's still stated as 14g same as the original but is more like 16g with the extra height. I've had success with up to 18g but have settled on 15.5-16g.

Interesting that you use a very firm tamp as mine always chokes with anything more than a fairly light tamp. I could be wrong but I think the consensus around here for the Eurpiccola seems to be to use a light tamp. I've seen on youtube where people put a lot of weight behind the tamp and don't quite understand how they get away with it, unless they are using a courser grind. My feld is already at the coarse end of the recommended setting for espresso and still have to use a light tamp or I end up hanging off the handle. I've seen some use 0.11 for espresso for other machines but I can't get close to using that, I was a bit surprised I got away with 1.2. I would like to try a finer grind so maybe I should just experiment more or something. Btw it was the same with the original basket so I don't think it's related to that, although I can see it might be worth trying a smaller dose. You've got me thinking now, thanks! :)

pavoni europiccola + niche zero / feld47 : now using James Bond's *coffee* steaming technique

Can you tell us anything about your brew recipes (weights, timings, pour regime)?

I've been sticking to 60g per litre ratio. So, 30g to 500ml in Chemex. Water at 94 degrees via Brewista electric gooseneck. 60ml for 30 seconds bloom (no agitation) then three further pours to 200ml, 350ml and 500ml. All in by 3.00 minutes. Through by about 4.45 (with a finer grind than recent beans e.g. last LSOL)

I've been sticking to 60g per litre ratio. So, 30g to 500ml in Chemex. Water at 94 degrees via Brewista electric gooseneck. 60ml for 30 seconds bloom (no agitation) then three further pours to 200ml, 350ml and 500ml. All in by 3.00 minutes. Through by about 4.45 (with a finer grind than recent beans e.g. last LSOL)

So 30sec bloom, then ~150g added every 1:00 thereafter? 4:45 is when you see a dry bed (then left to drip for a bit)? If so, timings look broadly OK.

Use boiling water. I'd maybe try 32.5g of coffee (it's quite a delicate coffee, so this will lift the intensity), stir the bloom quickly & briefly.

If you need to grind finer for this bean, then you probably should be finer generally for all beans & this recipe.

In a lot of the drip brews I've had more nectarine/peach like acidity, sweetness & floral notes, sometimes a light minty aftertaste. More towards grape & no mint in French press & espresso.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

@Gerrard Burrard I'm enjoying it using Edinburgh water but as mentioned, bottled water does provide consistency. In addition to what MWJB says I find this is one of those coffees that needs to be left to cool. When its hot, the flavours just aren't there for me. It is a subtle coffee.

Down to the last drop of Drop here tonight. I don’t know if it’s down to luck but we’ve enjoyed virtually every cup. Tonight it is delicate again, with that subtle taste going on on a different level. It has a lovely body too. And yes, it benefits from being at just the correct temperature.

38683733111_a3f5d5b641_z.jpg

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

Wow....just wow. This really exceeds all my expectations. Joanna, owner of drop, has written this just for us! I'm totally in awe!

Click the link to read the pdf.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CJqhrBj7IluVxTnOYRPW_ADa0c1FaHLF/view?usp=drivesdk

Link to the coffee on their website

https://www.dropcoffee.com/collections/beans/products/los-andes-washed-sl28-el-salvador

I've only had one cup of this so far as I'm waiting for my EK43 to be back, should be this week. Very intrigued as to what I'll find given all the comments, my water is harder than bottled water so should be interesting.

Wow....just wow. This really exceeds all my expectations. Joanna, owner of drop, has written this just for us! I'm totally in awe!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CJqhrBj7IluVxTnOYRPW_ADa0c1FaHLF/view?usp=drivesdk

https://www.dropcoffee.com/collections/beans/products/los-andes-washed-sl28-el-salvador

Wow indeed! I knew it was special! And I kept saying I was tasting two tastes! What a fabulous treat.

Pretty much stuck with 15.5g (15g basket)

And mostly:

8s pi

26s

34g

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

Interesting that they target only a 19% EY. I've noticed Wendelboe said something similar in a video I saw. Wonder if this is to do with scandi water, or maybe they all use Roburs or something

Interesting that they target only a 19% EY. I've noticed Wendelboe said something similar in a video I saw. Wonder if this is to do with scandi water, or maybe they all use Roburs or something

I got closest to the tasting notes with Chemex which came in at 19.5%. The higher extraction s of V60/Wave that I got were just as delicious though. Who cares as long as it tastes good?

I tried Deeside yesterday and lost the sweetness, so I'm back to my usual 120 TDS water today, approx 70/50 GH/KH and back on track.

Thats awesome!!

Vesuvius Dual Boiler / Ceado E37S / KvdW Shower Screen / VST Precision baskets / Torr Tamper / Motta Champion Milk Pitchers / Stretton Hills (Waitrose) Water /

I got closest to the tasting notes with Chemex which came in at 19.5%. The higher extraction s of V60/Wave that I got were just as delicious though. Who cares as long as it tastes good?

I tried Deeside yesterday and lost the sweetness, so I'm back to my usual 120 TDS water today, approx 70/50 GH/KH and back on track.

I quite agree, but I'd be amazed if a 19% shot through my EK would be that great. Stilll, I'll give it a go and see.