fatboyslim

LSOL November - Drop Coffee [Stockholm]

I keep hearing hibiscus mentioned, not just here but on several roasters websites. Isn't it a flower? I have no clue what that would taste like, although I think people do make hibiscus tea.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

I keep hearing hibiscus mentioned, not just here but on several roasters websites. Isn't it a flower? I have no clue what that would taste like, although I think people do make hibiscus tea.
Buy a cheap box of fruit tea... They are mostly bulked with hibiscus and that is the overriding flavour of them.

Did someone say coffee?

:Gaggia Classic--> Nuova Simonelli Oscar--> fracino Cherub:Mazzer SuperJolly:Hario V60+aeropress+french press:

Oh is *that* hibiscus? I must admit that might be why I thought all fruit teas taste the same! I'm terrible for noticing 'signatures' and commonalities instead of the differences. Well if that's what hibiscus tastes like then yes I can see where it comes in.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Has someone been looking at the Drop website? ;)

Hahaha! No, Step 21 in #170 mentioned it and I thought "there's that flower again" having seen it mentioned in various places recently. Surely our LSOL isn't even on the site is it? If it is I bet everyone's going to go straight there now though haha!

Hahaha! No, Step 21 in #170 mentioned it and I thought "there's that flower again" having seen it mentioned in various places recently. Surely our LSOL isn't even on the site is it? If it is I bet everyone's going to go straight there now though haha!

When I see tasting notes of 'hibiscus' I get the mental image of spitting out mouthfuls of hedge..

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

This coffee was released on their website slightly after we got it, no chance of getting an exclusive on this one. It's probably quite obvious which coffee it is to anyone browsing the Drop site but I ask people to not say too much until we reveal what it is.

When I see tasting notes of 'hibiscus' I get the mental image of spitting out mouthfuls of hedge..

Super tasty and imported hedge?

Thanks FatBoySlim.

@urbanbumpkin - every time I read a post of yours, I think to myself 'I don't recall writing that.'. The great wave has been my phones background for several years now hence associating it with my posts. Anyway, back to coffee...

I'd be keen to hear how you have all been dialling it in for espresso. It turns out I was able to grind much finer than ever before to get little rabbit dropping pellets shooting out the grinder. Combined with much firmer tamping, and increasing dose from typically 12.0-13.0g up to 15g I was able to go to the other end with extractions from 15 seconds up to a minute. So now to find the sweet spot.

Interestingly, although its taking so long (7 shots and counting) to dial this in, not a single shot has been a sink shot. Every one has been lovely, albeit with slightly different nuances. Thats unheard of for me. So I'm finding it far more difficult to dial in but also far more forgiving. Looking forward to finally getting it right!

I read my own posts and think that:)

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

20171125_100533.jpg

I got my beans today after a missed delivery the other day. The first one of many is up.

I've had two brews of this. A kalita and a french press. To me it was sweet, delicate and creamy with flavours of white grape, zesty citrus and florals perhaps hibiscus as others have mentioned.

I've had two brews of this. A kalita and a french press. To me it was sweet, delicate and creamy with flavours of white grape, zesty citrus and florals perhaps hibiscus as others have mentioned.

Pretty much nailed the official descriptors there, great job!

I had a play with this today for espresso going coarser (1.1 on my Major Dial) than previous and upping the temp to 94c.

19g=> 38g 34 secs. Creamy juicy Pink Grapefuit.

Same temp and grind.

18g=> 38g 29sec a bit of citrus but prominent Marzipan.

I might try this tomorrow and drop the temp back to 93.

How's everyone else getting on with spro?

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

I had a chemex of this earlier (first one with a chemex paper in ages)- came in at a lower extraction approx 19.5% EY. Drained significantly quicker than the other brews.

Tasted lovely and sweet, but was noticeably different from previous. What I thought to be hibiscus /rosehip was still there but very much in the background. White wine prominent early in the cup. Very juicy. Not creamy. Just gluggable...

This coffee was released on their website slightly after we got it, no chance of getting an exclusive on this one. It's probably quite obvious which coffee it is to anyone browsing the Drop site but I ask people to not say too much until we reveal what it is.

Super tasty and imported hedge?

Yeah... Mine also has a label under the LSOL label. It's a bit see through. I'm trying hard to not look...

Did someone say coffee?

:Gaggia Classic--> Nuova Simonelli Oscar--> fracino Cherub:Mazzer SuperJolly:Hario V60+aeropress+french press:

Just finishing off a Moka of this 18g and 300g water plus an aeropress filter on the bottom of the top part. Setting 3 on the Major (mid arrow for espresso is 2.2 @urbanbumpkin, usuall espresso setting is 2).

Left it to cool somewhat and got a lovely clean cup. Very little acidity, the white grape that was mentioned coming through. Can’t say I know what hibiscus tastes like but was getting something a bit floral with a hint of lime. Thinking about it makes me want one of those lime sherbert sweets lol.

Anyway, I usually go 20g in the Moka but pulled back a bit so it wasn’t too overbearing. Might go for 15g to see what that’s like next time.

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Tried in CCD this morning. A big cup full of prunes, prune juice. Not so great. Still lovely for espresso

Vesuvius, Monolith Conical, Feldgrind

Tried in CCD this morning. A big cup full of prunes, prune juice. Not so great. Still lovely for espresso

I'm messing around with different water at the moment and I found the wrong combo can give quite an unpleasant brew with all other parameters as consistent as possible.

50:50 Volvic/Glaceau gives outstanding results to my palate.

I'm messing around with different water at the moment and I found the wrong combo can give quite an unpleasant brew with all other parameters as consistent as possible.

Good coffee should be tasty with a nominal water though .

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Yes I agree, I think the water from the BWT filter isn't nominal though. Lacking alkalinity or some such.

It was improved my mixing 50/50 with waitrose essential but still tasted odd.

It was a ‘quick and dirty’ job straight from the kettle (tap water, shock horror!) without much thought for prep. I’m going to try V60 in the morning with a bit more care.

Vesuvius, Monolith Conical, Feldgrind

I think that drop really push the light roasts for soft water thing about as far as it goes.

I enjoy their roasts as filter coffee, but I have similarly tasty light roasts from other roasters which are much easier to run as espresso.

I think this 'difficulty' with drop could be at least in part due to their roasting philosophy ...

I've never made an espresso as good as a filter with some previous beans of theirs...

Other roasters, similar origins, as tasty a filter brew and in my hands, better espressos.

It's probably just me lol.

I wonder if the whole soft water thing is why I'm finding this one absolutely delicious and really forgiving. I suspect living down the road from a water bottling plant does have its advantages...

Did someone say coffee?

I think that drop really push the light roasts for soft water thing about as far as it goes.

I enjoy their roasts as filter coffee, but I have similarly tasty light roasts from other roasters which are much easier to run as espresso.

I think this 'difficulty' with drop could be at least in part due to their roasting philosophy ...

I've never made an espresso as good as a filter with some previous beans of theirs...

Other roasters, similar origins, as tasty a filter brew and in my hands, better espressos.

It's probably just me lol.

What's your thinking re: soft water and their roast?

Interesting...Will give it a go with Deeside tomorrow.

What's your thinking re: soft water and their roast?

This is a very short phone based take in it, but.

Chris Hendon's water for Colonna's coffee says, and scientifically it's pretty sound reading, that carbonate soft water with some magnesium is pretty optimal for extracting desirable flavours from coffee.

Nordic nations broadly have a filter coffee culture and broadly have pretty soft good at extracting water.

Taking this together you have a culture that favours coffee extraction methods (filter coffee) that are flavourful at a broadly lighter roast than contemporaneous espresso culture, and have developed a roasting culture based on soft water extractions being the norm.

Taking roast profiles and flavour preferences from that culture and then extracting it as espresso with a different water chemistry could potentially not be the most sympathetic use of these beans.

I would say that these beans are not impossible to make great espresso from, but if we are dealing with a preperationally demanding bean, that was roast profiled to a specific water chemistry there is a chance that for some home espresso cases we may be starting at a disadvantage with respect to getting the most out of this bean.

This is not true, just conjecture on the influence of culture and surroundings on philosophies and how that may manifest in a final product.