fatboyslim

LSOL November - Drop Coffee [Stockholm]

On with mine today. Tightened the grinder slightly based on others' experiences. Pretty good first cup. 15.5g (in my 15g vst) 8s pi, 30s/32g made into a flat white.

Yes, it’s light, but all the better for it in my opinion. It’s tasty, sweet but not overly so, and I’m not sure if it could be apricots. It reminds me of something I had ages ago. Not much help then!

37708803225_6661655855_z.jpg

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

38596895371_6721f64156_z.jpg

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

I find that the acidity does indeed cut through the milk. This, for me, makes a very '3rd wave' flat white.

Sweet milk, and bright bean making a balanced drink, but for me, this was less tasty and less interesting than the brewed results with this bean.

On with my second cup now. It really is lovely. I wish I could describe what I’m tasting. Anyway, even though I can’t I know I like it :)

I went with 16.5g which seems a good starting point!

having to up dose to 20g is because of how the EK grinds, you shouldn't need to up dose as much with the Ceado I would have thought, though 15g is a bit on the low side.

I'd give 18g a go maybe 1st.

Vesuvius Dual Boiler / Ceado E37S / KvdW Shower Screen / VST Precision baskets / Torr Tamper / Motta Champion Milk Pitchers / Stretton Hills (Waitrose) Water /

I went half a point finer on EK (6.5 to 6) and kept the December at 1 so brew time remained at 2:50.

This is a sensational brewed coffee. I'm slightly less thrilled about it as espresso (still running fast).

I mean....I just finished a brew and I immediately want another one! Mind-blowing balance of sweetness, acidity and creamy body.

Floral aftertaste anyone???

My first brew was too fine yesterday and gave me a Sad face. I'll go to chemex today and hope for better.

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

This is a sensational brewed coffee.

I mean....I just finished a brew and I immediately want another one! Mind-blowing balance of sweetness, acidity and creamy body.

Floral aftertaste anyone???

My 250g guest bag arrived today. Many thanks to you for your hard work.

So first brew in the Bonavita threw up more questions than answers. Not a natural and not heirloom varietals. Light roast. Easy extracter. Delicious complex acidity but hard to pin down. Elements of stone fruit with a "higher" berry/floral sweetness. Violet? Really smooth body, didn't detect creaminess. Sweet. I thought there might be some Bergamot? Very tasty for sure!

Made an espresso yesterday evening and it didn't run fast at all. Though I'm used to grinding for decaf and set the Major for that without thinking. Pretty smooth, so probably about there. Tightened very slightly and made an Americano (ran off some water from the grouphead before pulling). Didn't enjoy it as much, so will probably brew this as I'm brewing more than pulling shots now.

Will probably give it another go as an espresso later on, but more than likely the V60 will come out instead. Not tried a Moka yet though.. Just reminded me, I need some sphon papers or a cloth filter.

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Only 2 attempts with this but not there yet. V60 13.5-226 multiple 25g pours with brew time about 2:57. Tasted but bitter but in the underextracted bitter kind of way. No fruit just maybe very weak diluted stewed fruit juice. TDS was 1.19. Did this side by side (exact same grind etc) with foundry Rocko which at tds 1.20 tasted like strawberry tea.

Same thing with aeropress, side by side and Drop was a bit empty at same grind setting as Rocko. I guess it's time to go finer as you lovely people suggest!

LR - EK43S; Ceado E37S; Aergrind; Comandante MK3 - Syphon & V60 - patience

Got this dialled in pretty much perfect now and it's an incredible espresso, this is the best espresso for me this year. Gentle brown sugar sweetness, nectarines, peaches and a floral violet after note.

Beans>Grinders>Machines

This is a really wild coffee. It just keeps exploding as espresso, but then produces a really soft delicate cup that tastes nothing like "coffee" it's floral and fruity and delicious and j feel like it's got more to give if only I could get it dialled in to a slower rate!!

Did someone say coffee?

:Gaggia Classic--> Nuova Simonelli Oscar--> fracino Cherub:Mazzer SuperJolly:Hario V60+aeropress+french press:

Thanks @fatboyslim for sorting this. Chemex at work, then a Kalita Uno brew at home: Delicate, sweet, peachy, floral...anyone else getting a minty aftertaste?

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Got this dialled in pretty much perfect now and it's an incredible espresso, this is the best espresso for me this year. Gentle brown sugar sweetness, nectarines, peaches and a floral violet after note.

dialled in how please? in gr out gr, other parameters you defined? SuperJolly? would love to hear this, I am too worried to run through calibration from scratch, I only have a small quantity so any pointers gratefully received.

dialled in how please? in gr out gr, other parameters you defined? SuperJolly? would love to hear this, I am too worried to run through calibration from scratch, I only have a small quantity so any pointers gratefully received.
On a super jolly go as fine as you think it would be... then go about 4 notches finer. I found it's best 18>36 in around 38s. Don't be worried about wasting it though, I've had minute long shots that still tasted great, it's the fast shots that aren't as good, so try and get it dialled in for the first shot too fine rather than too coarse.

Beans>Grinders>Machines

Just picked up from the depot, my first LSOL and it's straight into the ccd for a long steep. Really lovely.. clean, complex and refined. So much so that I even managed half of it without milk - in the past I've been tempted but never quite interested enough to commit, so quite a thumbs up for these beans already. Only had to switch to milk after the mandatory nomming of something sweet.. With milk it still punched through well, it may be a light roast but it looks to me like it should also have what it takes for my more usual espresso based milk drinks.

Many thanks fbs for all your efforts getting us this lovely coffee, I think I'm going to really enjoy this!

37717245195_f341b3c93a_z.jpg

37717246255_46a3a869ca_z.jpg

pavoni europiccola + niche zero / feld47 : now using James Bond's *coffee* steaming technique

I'm quite enjoying this one. Its remarkably different from anything I've tried before. Its taking a bit of work to slow it down and I've got the Mignon about as fine as I can get it now. Looking forward to dialling it in further tomorrow.

Does anyone know the roast date? I can't locate anything on the (rather dapper) packaging.

La Pavoni Europiccola Millenium - Porlex mini - Eureka Mignon Mk2

I'm quite enjoying this one. Its remarkably different from anything I've tried before. Its taking a bit of work to slow it down and I've got the Mignon about as fine as I can get it now. Looking forward to dialling it in further tomorrow.

Does anyone know the roast date? I can't locate anything on the (rather dapper) packaging.

Roasted 13th November

This is a really wild coffee. It just keeps exploding as espresso, but then produces a really soft delicate cup that tastes nothing like "coffee" it's floral and fruity and delicious and j feel like it's got more to give if only I could get it dialled in to a slower rate!!

What's working for you as espresso. I've had a few attempts going much finer then slackening off. I've had the first shot today that was ok

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

Thanks FatBoySlim.

@urbanbumpkin - every time I read a post of yours, I think to myself 'I don't recall writing that.'. The great wave has been my phones background for several years now hence associating it with my posts. Anyway, back to coffee...

I'd be keen to hear how you have all been dialling it in for espresso. It turns out I was able to grind much finer than ever before to get little rabbit dropping pellets shooting out the grinder. Combined with much firmer tamping, and increasing dose from typically 12.0-13.0g up to 15g I was able to go to the other end with extractions from 15 seconds up to a minute. So now to find the sweet spot.

Interestingly, although its taking so long (7 shots and counting) to dial this in, not a single shot has been a sink shot. Every one has been lovely, albeit with slightly different nuances. Thats unheard of for me. So I'm finding it far more difficult to dial in but also far more forgiving. Looking forward to finally getting it right!

La Pavoni Europiccola Millenium - Porlex mini - Eureka Mignon Mk2

What's working for you as espresso. I've had a few attempts going much finer then slackening off. I've had the first shot today that was ok
Basically it looks like talcum powder.... I'm just off burr chittering on the super jolly (well about 10-15 degrees off) that's added a really smooth creamy caramel base to the fruit and lost the bitterness behind the fruit. (It's a bit like a red starburst, sweet and fruity but smooth)

Did someone say coffee?

:Gaggia Classic--> Nuova Simonelli Oscar--> fracino Cherub:Mazzer SuperJolly:Hario V60+aeropress+french press:

Just picked up from the depot, my first LSOL and it's straight into the ccd for a long steep. Really lovely.. clean, complex and refined. So much so that I even managed half of it without milk - in the past I've been tempted but never quite interested enough to commit, so quite a thumbs up for these beans already. Only had to switch to milk after the mandatory nomming of something sweet.. With milk it still punched through well, it may be a light roast but it looks to me like it should also have what it takes for my more usual espresso based milk drinks.

Many thanks fbs for all your efforts getting us this lovely coffee, I think I'm going to really enjoy this!

37717245195_f341b3c93a_z.jpg

37717246255_46a3a869ca_z.jpg

How much in and out on the CCD? It's maybe not my bag as espresso so may try it brewed instead.

Profitec Pro 800 | Niche Zero | Joey Skateboard Tamper | Espresso Addict!

Basically it looks like talcum powder.... I'm just off burr chittering on the super jolly (well about 10-15 degrees off) that's added a really smooth creamy caramel base to the fruit and lost the bitterness behind the fruit. (It's a bit like a red starburst, sweet and fruity but smooth)

Cheers Missy. What dose, Extraction time

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

Cheers Missy. What dose, Extraction time
Oh yes that might help! (Narrative description is much more "me" than hard data!!) 18.5g> 38g in 28 secs. I pulled to 44g in 32 secs but that was over... I feel like if I'd headed right up to 55-60g there might be another sweet spot, and shorter just didn't work (though looser and quicker to 45g in 18 secs was super fruity but more limes and tropicals)

Did someone say coffee?

Oh yes that might help! (Narrative description is much more "me" than hard data!!) 18.5g> 38g in 28 secs. I pulled to 44g in 32 secs but that was over... I feel like if I'd headed right up to 55-60g there might be another sweet spot, and shorter just didn't work (though looser and quicker to 45g in 18 secs was super fruity but more limes and tropicals)
I was wrong. By 60g (a whopping 50seconds) it just tastes of wet coffee so everything is gone.

Did someone say coffee?