fatboyslim

LSOL November - Drop Coffee [Stockholm]

That, or will it actually make it easier to hand grind? Not sure whether the pre-breaking or fine grinding is more difficult to grind.

I woke up this morning and realised that if the pre-breaking was that made it difficult to grind, then grinding coarse would still be hard.

So I am not sold that grinding it first with an electric grinder coarse will make much difference.

I woke up this morning and realised that if the pre-breaking was that made it difficult to grind, then grinding coarse would still be hard.

So I am not sold that grinding it first with an electric grinder coarse will make much difference.

Maybe, but I guess it depends how aggressive the pre breaker has to be? Maybe nibbling more at coarser settings, rather than crunching through them at fine settings.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Maybe, but I guess it depends how aggressive the pre breaker has to be? Maybe nibbling more at coarser settings, rather than crunching through them at fine settings.

Don’t know, really. I never found hand grinding for espresso a problem (apart from one bean) and wouldn’t bother with some magic methods. I just can’t see the grind distribution to be the same so you’d get reproducible results.

But then I’m happy with E37s and can’t see coming back to hand grinding for espresso again. Unless I get Kinu M68/HG-One, that is.

I hope all current subscribers will be joining us again for next quarter. If you haven't already paid Daren, please do so in an expedient fashion or indicate your non-committal intent.

Paid for next quarter.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

I hope all current subscribers will be joining us again for next quarter. If you haven't already paid Daren, please do so in an expedient fashion or indicate your non-committal intent.

Paid up, looking forward to trying some new coffees in the new year. Cheers for sorting

All paid. Looking forward to seeing what the next 3 months will bring

Porlex Hand Grinder | ROK Espresso Maker | Bodum French Press

I still have 250g bag in the freezer, saving it for the family coming over at Christmas (as well as some Foundry Rocko Mountain that should arrive today/tomorrow)

Mr LSOL - October offering here -> Clicky <-

Don’t know, really. I never found hand grinding for espresso a problem (apart from one bean) and wouldn’t bother with some magic methods. I just can’t see the grind distribution to be the same so you’d get reproducible results.

But then I’m happy with E37s and can’t see coming back to hand grinding for espresso again. Unless I get Kinu M68/HG-One, that is.

As I said, I don’t have an issue with other beans for espresso , just that the Drop were very tough to get through with the feld at fine settings and when I was trying to dial in, and therefore having to grind multiple 17g doses it was a lot of effort. So I abandoned using Drop for espresso and just used it for brewed, using the Wilfa. But I really wanted to try it for espresso again before my LSOL supply disappeared.

Have to say that the pre-grind in the Wilfa at coarsest setting followed by the Feld make the feld part of the operation a breeze.

Lelit Mara 62, Niche Grinder, Decent Espresso tamper, V60, CCD, Aeropress, French Press, Moka pot, Kinu M47, Feldgrind, Porlex Mini, Kawasaki Versys 650 mk1

A delivery from Drop arrived here today along with this handy little tasting notes book. Nice touch :)

25270077248_25e37982f6.jpg

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

6 weeks past roast! Just made a 6:30 brew in the December using 100% Deeside...dare I say it, one of the best brews I've had of this coffee!

That was the last of it unfortunately :(

Anyone still got some?

Hey guys I may have missed it but any idea when the next coffee might be coming etc?

Mid-to-late January. Can't say for sure at this stage.

6 weeks past roast! Just made a 6:30 brew in the December using 100% Deeside...dare I say it, one of the best brews I've had of this coffee!

Anyone still got some?

Got some left in the freezer. Black Friday and a few other purchases mean that I have too much coffee in the freezer right now.

a grinder a lever and some beans

Got some left in the freezer. Black Friday and a few other purchases mean that I have too much coffee in the freezer right now.
No such thing as too much coffee!

Rocket Giotto Evo, Mythos, Torr x 2, Rapha Chris King Tamper (coz they are cool), VST's, Hausgrind, Airgrind, Hario Slim, Chemex, Aeropress, Oomph, Puck Puck, Bialetti, Black Acaia scales, Acia Lunas,fresh beans

Blah Blah Blah - it makes coffee

No such thing as too much coffee!

I find it difficult to argue against this

a grinder a lever and some beans

@EricC have you tried this yet?

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Anyone still got some?

Yes, just a little left. Been coming back and leaving it a bit longer. Will have a brew tomorrow and report back if anything new.

I had a CCD of these this morning that I left for 90 mins (with a tea cosy) and had a lovely clear, clean tasty, cup with bags of milk chocolate and a lovely mild nutty aftertaste.

Just drinking a V60 where I tightened the Wilfa grind up and it is equally good.

Still great beans (*pulled from the freezer boxing day)

Mr LSOL - October offering here -> Clicky <-

Beans from the freezer. Tried an espresso this morning 19g=>35g 25 secs , I was getting peach.

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

Finished the last of the Drop today (vac frozen) with a lovely cappuccino, anyone still going with this?! :)

Its been a really good learning experience and especially enjoyable towards the end as I got more of a hang of it. The very light roast was quite a challenge, first the hand grinding which was among the toughest I've experienced, quite a workout with the aergrind and a real test of the grinder itself (it survived!) The results seem to have been best for me at slightly higher temp and a slightly finer grind seemed to help too. I think that's the conventional wisdom for light roasts so it was nice to get some idea of the difference these things can make. Despite the challenges its been really enjoyable and was so interesting to experience what a really light Scandi roast style is all about. After really enjoying the Dark Arts lsol I was thinking maybe I prefer darker roasts but now I feel I can enjoy both and would happily look forwards to trying more super light roasts. Many thanks to all involved!

pavoni europiccola + niche zero / feld47 : now using James Bond's *coffee* steaming technique

I'm 2/3 of the way through this and really enjoying it. I'm grinding at the tiniest fraction over the zero point of the EK and dosing 20g into an 18g VST and it's still fairly fast. Currently I'm starting with a preinfusion at 2 bar which then ramps to 9 bar then switching to a 6 bar flat profile as the flow accelerates and settling on 20 to 44. I think it's around 30s total shot time but 13s of that is the preinfusion.

Home: Sage Dual Boiler, Probat EK43 & Feldgind

Work: Sage Dual Boiler & Niche Zero