IGNORED

LSOL November - Drop Coffee [Stockholm]

Just pulled an espresso at 1:2 after a week of having it as V60 (started using MWJB's technique with the aeropress and metal filter as a way to pour the water, very recommended!).

It came out real fast but wow it's delicious and so different from the pourover. More intensely limey, really creamy and the real aftertaste of hibiscus that almost reminds me of those little violet sweets that you had as a kid.

Wasn't expecting much for the first shot after hearing how difficult others were finding it but wow it's good.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can buy Volvic for boilers. You can buy a 'normal/average' water for your country (in the UK that might be Highland Spring/Tesco every day/Lidl Chase spring - none of which I'd recommend as typical UK/US water is on the hard side). Otherwise buy/mix/make what makes your coffee taste nice.

Stockholm water seems to dovetail with Schulman, SCAA, SCAE, Water for Coffee, Pergwater target zone (GH:KH of around 2:1). Seems also broadly similar to Has Bean roastery water.

Looking here:

http://www.stockholmvattenochavfall.se/globalassets/pdf1/rapporter/dricksvatten/dricksvattenkvalitet/kval-dekl-lov-2016-med-logga-2017-03-30.pdf

Alkalinity/ KH: 68ppm

Mg:4,4mg/L

Ca: 30mg/L

Total Hardness: 93ppm

Aha! Thanks, looks like less Mg than I anticipated from looking here: http://www.helsinki.fi/envirohist/seaandcities//articles/StoL.pdf

Oh la la! I decided to go half a big setting coarser on standard EK dial but kept brew time around 2:45. The floral hibiscus notes are now much more prominent with a really juicy citrus flavour coming through that adds so much balance. This is the first time I've really got this particular citrus flavour (different to the limes) and the first brew where the hibiscus has been so apparent. It feels like unlocking the next level on a computer game! If I had to give it a descriptor myself I'd say more pink grapefruit than limes. Goes so so well with the hibiscus. Need more!!!

Grind was #7 on standard EK dial (espresso starts at 1.1-1.2). Water was 50:50 Glaceau/Volvic.

Maintaining longer brew time was achieved by using setting #1 on the December. Really loving the brewer!

Definitely the best cup I've had of this coffee yet!

I'm a bit late to the party with these beans.

Finally got them in the hopper (ok - some in the freezer as well)

Lots of talk about grinding fine so I set the Mythos to 'gnats chuff' tight

Nice even extraction, 16-32g in 40 seconds

First thoughts

Creamy

Delicate

Touch of tannin / tea like

As it cooled

Juicy - mouth-wateringly so

Apricot/nectarine

Great as espresso and long black

Will try Mrs WDs flat white tomorrow

I'm going to have to wait for the espresso on this one until my second bag comes out of the freezer. Just deep cleaned the E8 and don't want to rock the boat now the hopper is loaded and dialed in with Foundry FSF.

I did try the Drop soon after it arrived but wasn't getting good results. For a while I'd been making do with filter and AP using Aldi chase spring and tap water (flipping hard) but after reading some of the early comments put the rest aside and focused on finishing other beans and sorting the new grinder.

Having sent the long suffering Mrs Vee to the supermarket with a long list (I earned the title Water [email protected]@ker, she has a point) I'm ready to try this again. Got plenty of tea like florals and sweetness last time and as mentioned before this seemed to hold well against over extraction (using my ridonculously hard water) so will be interested to see what a more careful approach to water will do.

Going to try the 1:1 glaceau volvic as a starter.

When the E8 is ready for a top up I will get the other bag out of the freezer and dare the espresso as I like the sound of the strawberry Starburst.

Edited by Flying_Vee

finished my 500g this morning :(

huge thanks to @fatboyslim and @Daren for this month's lsol - i've really enjoyed it a lot, a really interesting coffee and one i probably wouldn't normally have picked myself going on the tast description from the drop website. that's one of the things that's so good about lsol, you end up trying beans you'd never normally go for (or have the chance to try) and expanding your horizons.

like many others, ended up going way finer than usual for espresso - pretty close to the chirrup point on the e8. got the lime acidity and a sort of herbal aftertaste which i assume is the hibiscus that most people mentioned (i've no idea what hibiscus tastes like!). found more of a wine/apple acidity with a slightly coarser grind, but too fine and i got the unpleasant woody characteristics that urbanbumpkin described.

i found the video on the drop website worth a watch as well if you haven't watched it.

can't wait for the next lsol! you've set the bar high though...

Tried Mrs WDs flat white today and the milk overpowers the coffee in an 8oz cup - just getting malted milk

Will try again in less milk

I suspect that this coffee is best for me as espresso or long black

I'm not really loving this as brewed, but the two espressos I've had so far have been really good - juicy and sweet.

How are you not loving it as brewed! One of my favourite brews of the year. Try grinding coarser and drawing out the brew time doing smaller pours.

How are you not loving it as brewed! One of my favourite brews of the year. Try grinding coarser and drawing out the brew time doing smaller pours.

Sorry, this coffee was not for me as brewed either ( and I do not do espresso ) . yes i went fine and coarse , and yes i do small pours .

After alot of anticipation , this was one of the more disappointing coffe's for me , though i put this down to the hibiscus , lime , grape combo . Those aren't notes that rock my word at the best of times.

People whose taste I respect dig it ( TSK ) so am happy to put it down to not meeting my preferences.

Glad everyone else liked it though , it's great to try these roasters as a group . so cheers for the hard work getting this stuff.

I've finished my last bag of this. Definitely flavour notes I'm not sure I would have chosen myself but I enjoyed it overall. I think it was well roasted coffee that was easy to brew with. I'd rate it 4 out of 5 but its purely down to personal taste. The standout feature of it for me was its juiciness and creamy body. I wish I'd had it during the summer as I enjoy this most when cooled almost right down to being lukewarm. I'd happily get beans from Drop again. Thanks to Drop and to Daren and Fatboyslim for arranging this!

I will buy this again, we really rated it. I don’t know if I was plain lucky but it just seemed to work right from the start. I’m a bit put off by the cost of buying a couple of bags (postage these days, UK and Europe, has rocketed) so I am even more grateful we could try it at such a good price via the LSOL and everyone who makes it possible - Thank you very much :)

Brewed one up in a V60 this afternoon and while sipping I noticed I was pretty much bang on the recipe in the Pdf drop provided (in part due to an overshoot on the last pour but I'm claiming it).

Nicer than yesterdays effort which was too coarse and ran through quick resulting in bland.

Tightened the grind today (equal parts glaceau, Waitrose and tap) and everything looked good on the pour.

In the cup I'm getting whiffs of jasmine and good body and sweetness but there's a crappy dryness. I tend to find a lot of silty fines on the coffee bed using my astro 12, should I try a fine sieve to even out the grind or just accept the grinder is more suited to espresso and buy an Mbk?

I used to sieve grinds from a Krupps at work but it wastes a lot of coffee.

Will trying going midway between the above two attempts tomorrow. I'm definitely already a fair way coarser than an espresso grind which surprises me given people have talked about how fine they've needed to go with this bean.

(and there was me thinking I had an excuse to buy a new hand grinder )

Edited by Flying_Vee

I only do brewed and found I really liked the majority of the brews, especially at the start, when I wasn't getting limes!

I think brewing with relatively cooler water changed the fruit flavour profile toward lime.

If I was browsing the roasters site and saw lime/hibiscus I wouldn't have gone for it. Interesting coffee and nice to have sampled Drop and I'd be keen to try something else from them in the future.

Thanks to the LSOL team!

All my manual brews were 'good' at the least. The coffee was easy/normal to extract, thankfully I didn't get any noticeable lime, mostly peach/nectarine, some grape in FP & espresso, florals, occasional mint, fairly sweet. Quite subtle in flavour (though I didn't feel I needed to updose). As @Step21 says, I wouldn't have gone for it based on the notes, but I did enjoy it. Mind you, I don't always find coffees I have picked based on the notes more enjoyable than those I buy blind.

Perhaps not the most wild & crazy, smack in the mouth coffee, but I thought it was a good, well roasted, solid performer (this alone makes it preferable to more than half the coffees I have tried this year) & I appreciated the opportunity to try it.

Perhaps not the most wild & crazy, smack in the mouth coffee, but I thought it was a good, well roasted, solid performer (this alone makes it preferable to more than half the coffees I have tried this year) & I appreciated the opportunity to try it.

I strongly agree with you there. The fact that everyone of my brews were good raises it above a number of bags from new roasters to me.

My favourite things about LSOL are the opportunity to try new coffees, roasters and reading everyone's thoughts.