bongo

Nothing working bar PID screen.

Morning folks,

Advice please.

My machine is turned on using a time switch so it's nice and hot by the time I get out of bed.

However today, the machine did not heat up.

The PID is stuck saying 20/21 deg. When I open the steam, hot water or brew switches nothing happens at all. From the lack of hot water and steam output this I gather there is no temp/pressure in the boilers thus no flow (correct?). However the pump doesn't work either.

Tried a standard computer reset (turn it off and on again) and nothing.

What I did notice is that a few seconds after turning the machine on I can her something switch (same sound as a trip switch). This happens each time.

Before I spend the weekend opening her up and searching blindly, I would appreciate it if anyone knows what this is likely to be from the description. If there are multiple things to try, what are they and in what order?

Many thanks in advance.

Ghe sboro fioi!

I've now had the machine for about 2-3 years. I got it from a forum member, he got it from Bella Barista.

Ghe sboro fioi!

It may well be worth phoning Bella if its still registered with them - they may be able to give you some advice on diagnostics at least.

What machine is it? I'm presuming here that the PID is powered from the machine, so the main fuse hasn't gone?

I'm not liking that the pump is not working - is it the case that one pump fills the boilers as well providing the pressure for the shot?

Home: Vesuvius + EK

Work: Aeropress + EK

Founder of upgradeitis anonymous - "The first step is admitting you no longer have any money"

Sorry, I've been daft - the machine is an Expobar Leva Dual boiler. Tank only.

Main fuse is fine - i.e., PID turns on.

After turning on the mains there is a clear and audible click. My assumption is this is a for of internal break switch?

I haven't had time to look at one of the exploded diagrams of the internals. So wondered if anyone was any the wiser?

Ghe sboro fioi!

Pump failure? It’s due at 2-3 years.

Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.

Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

There is an automatic cut off on them if it senses low water level. The clicking could be a solenoid or the pressure stat.

Remove and check the boiler fill probe for scale ( check easy items first) . Are you in hard water area ? has it been descaled ?.

There is 240 volts inside !! With the cover / case off switch on and LISTEN for what is clicking.

Do you have a multi meter/ can you use it ?. If so with machine unplugged remove the connections to the pump and connect the meter to the leads you have removed (set to volts) keep hands out then switch on, if meter registers voltage the pump is kaput. SWITCH OFF UNPLUG.

Pump failure? It’s due at 2-3 years.

Really.... If this is the case then Expobar need to sort the pump issues, I would be a bit hacked off if this is true

Really.... If this is the case then Expobar need to sort the pump issues, I would be a bit hacked off if this is true

It’s an easy fix and not too desperately expensive.

Follow Frank’s advice.

Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.

Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

There is an automatic cut off on them if it senses low water level.

You mean a water level sensor in the actual boilers or the switch under the reservoir? The reservoir is now full, but had run low - not enough for it to turn off though. - I guess the feed hose could have moved to allow air entry - i.e., so the pump was sucking in air.... doubtful, but cant rule it out...but maybe that is why it now doesnt pump?....hmmm

The clicking could be a solenoid or the pressure stat.

I'll have a ganders over the weekend...

Remove and check the boiler fill probe for scale ( check easy items first) . Are you in hard water area ? has it been descaled ?

Scale isn't really an issue - I have descaled in the past, but I only use volvic, never tap water etc... will happily double check this though.

Do you have a multi meter/ can you use it ?. If so with machine unplugged remove the connections to the pump and connect the meter to the leads you have removed (set to volts) keep hands out then switch on, if meter registers voltage the pump is kaput. SWITCH OFF UNPLUG.

Yes I've got a decent multimeter and yes I know how to use it. I'll certainly double check the pump...

Thanks for the initial suggestions.

Ghe sboro fioi!

If the pump had been running dry that could cause pump failure.

Check the under tank switch. From your additional information eg d-scale & Volvic unlikely to be boiler probe Also more likely to overfill than not .

Seems to be the pump on initial inspection. Took the machine apart this afternoon and theres no connection between the pump terminals.

Have ordered a replacement and will update with news once I have some.

Ghe sboro fioi!

Seems to be the pump on initial inspection. Took the machine apart this afternoon and theres no connection between the pump terminals.

Have ordered a replacement and will update with news once I have some.

1. If you did what was suggested and got the result you did, I doubt there is anything wrong with the pump....You can confirm this by connecting the pump directly to the mains with a plug and a bit of mains flex. You state it's not heating, so it could be any number of things.

2. You say both boilers are not heating...so that means it's doubtful to be limit stats as they won't both go faulty at the same time (chances are very small).

3. I would look elsewhere for the problems, it also won't be the water level probe in the service boiler as brew boiler would still heat.

Simplest explanation is a faulty water level switch for the tank, or bad wiring from that switch to the Giemme/Gicar control box....that's where I would recommend you concentrate your efforts as I am not sure it has an audible low water alarm and I can't remember if later models after the II even had a low water level light or not. This is because the one thing that would cause it not to heat either boiler and the pump not to run, is if it thinks it has no water in the water tank.

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

I've tested the feed to the motor and the feed is fine. The motor is defo kaput.

Not saying this is the only problem but it's the first one I'm going to fix.

Ghe sboro fioi!

I can confirm that a 'blown' pump was the issue. Ordered a replacement (£15 delivered). Swapped the old for new and instantly solved the issue.

Hope this helps inform someone if they have this issue in the future.

Ghe sboro fioi!

I can confirm that a 'blown' pump was the issue. Ordered a replacement (£15 delivered). Swapped the old for new and instantly solved the issue.

Hope this helps inform someone if they have this issue in the future.

Good. They have a working life of between 2-3 years in my experience. Thank god they’re cheap, and easy to fit.