IGNORED

Secondhand Super Jolly - what to check? and will it grind coarsely too?

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade form my Krups GVX2 and after quite a bit of reading I'm concluding that if the ideal home grinder exists, it's not available until next summer. That said, I want to get something sorted sooner, and at the moment I'm leaning towards finding a secondhand Super Jolly, which would fit on my one bit of kitchen counter with unrestricted headroom. What I'm less sure about is how friendly they are to single shots, although I'd have a go at either improving the doser or replacing it with a funnel per some of the posts on here if that's the main change that is needed.

When looking at a machine with unknown history, are there any particular things that it's important to to check/look at?

Also, can they be adjusted easily to grind coarse enough for paper filter or cafetiere use, and back to espresso?

Thanks!

Neil

If your handy with tools then don't be put off by a mazzer refurb. They are pretty basic if you need to replace bearings and things like that.

Edited by joey24dirt

I agree with joey- the motors run forever, bearings are about the most you will need to do. you can mod the doser to do a good job single shots, it will keep its value as well, all parts are available and advice plentiful. If your looking at the Niche next year, it looks promising but sit tight and wait till its had a number of reviews. The jolly is a known quantity and a safe bet.

Check the adjusting collar is not seized. This is not a major problem but it will prevent you from removing the top burr carrier to examine the burr condition ( before you buy) it is also an indication of neglect. As other members have said they are reasonably "bomb proof", but if you immediately need new burr's knock £50 off the price. They do not readily / easily change from F/P pour over to espresso as you need to "tune the grind" as you do with different beans.

Thanks for all the advice, I'll definitely check the adjusting collar and the burrs. I've serviced a fair few woodworking tools already so things like bearing changes shouldn't be an issue for me.

Sounds like it might be better to plan to reserve the Mazzer for espresso and keep using the Krups for F/P and pour-over coffee.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bring back an old post, but I'm just working my way through SJ posts as I (a beginner) learn about my recently obtained one.

I seem to be able to easily adjust from Course to Fine with the collar, so am not understanding why it would be an issue to use for French press or espresso as desired. I just need to remember what position to set it at. 

Edited by HasBean
5 hours ago, HasBean said:

Sorry to bring back an old post, but I'm just working my way through SJ posts as I (a beginner) learn about my recently obtained one.

I seem to be able to easily adjust from Course to Fine with the collar, so am not understanding why it would be an issue to use for French press or espresso as desired. I just need to remember what position to set it at. 

That was a reply to a very old post! ?

To go fine->coarse is easier as the dial can be moved whilst it’s not running but you still need to purge the old fine from the chamber.

Going coarse->fine is harder, you need to do it running if using a hopper or have a stack of beans in the chamber or the motor jams. You still need to purge it as well to get rid of the coarser bits.

The Niche grinder in comparison is  easier to adjust, no purging, almost no retention and only single dosing means swapping settings is easier/less wasteful.

Hope that explanation is useful.

• Thanks 1

The SJ will grind fine or coarse very well.  BUT it is not practical to change between grinds frequently as mentioned above, also resetting to espresso by the number on the collar

may not be exactly the same setting (tolerance in adjustment)  Also wasteful on coffee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Northern_Monkey said:

That was a reply to a very old post! ?

To go fine->coarse is easier as the dial can be moved whilst it’s not running but you still need to purge the old fine from the chamber.

Going coarse->fine is harder, you need to do it running if using a hopper or have a stack of beans in the chamber or the motor jams. You still need to purge it as well to get rid of the coarser bits.

The Niche grinder in comparison is  easier to adjust, no purging, almost no retention and only single dosing means swapping settings is easier/less wasteful.

Hope that explanation is useful.

Thank you. That does help.

I did initially think there was a problem with the grinder when I couldn't return the adjustment from course to fine, but I figured I just needed to return to fine while the grinder was running, which did the trick. Doing that didn't present any issues. 

Setting to fine was only experiment to make sure the SJ I was given was working, as I don't even own an espresso machine. I'm just using this beast for French press. 

It's certainly a talking point in my little kitchen :)

1 hour ago, El carajillo said:

The SJ will grind fine or coarse very well.  BUT it is not practical to change between grinds frequently as mentioned above, also resetting to espresso by the number on the collar

may not be exactly the same setting (tolerance in adjustment)  Also wasteful on coffee.

Thanks for your input. 

Hopefully changing between grinds will be infrequent.

I was originally in the market for a cheap high street electric grinder to replace my little la cafetiere hand grinder. Then I was given this machine!! 

I'll post the story soon :)

Edited by HasBean