IGNORED

Type RR45 grinders ?

I may be able to get one of these. They seem be available with more than one make but look the same. This one is Brasilia. Are they any good?

They look to use flat burrs I assume these are ok at all grind levels?

I probably also need to know if dosers can be removed from them.

John

-

They are decent, not quite as well put together as a Mazzer SJ but they produce a similar quality of grind.

They can be absolute static beasts - and this can make it very difficult to use with any mods that remove the doser. There are a few threads from a while back about solutions to this, most involve placing a flap in front of the grind chute to allow the coffee to clump together and the static to disperse. A fair amount of voodoo is involved however.

The 'camera lens hood' mod does not work as well on them as it does on the Mazzer SJ (guessing the grind chamber is less sealed) so the few grams of retention in the exit chute often just need purging.

Some (not all) of them have stepped adjustment - if the 'correct' grind setting is between two steps you have to play with up and down dosing to get your desired extraction.

Thanks. I'll give it a miss. The appeal was that it was local and probably cheap. I noticed some "catalogue returns" on ebay. Not the Sage one that I'd ideally want as it has the display etc rather than a knob and dial but the price was right. Also if problems none with returns unlike the Graef one I bought. Sellers seem to be ignoring me. Bought directly from retailer so guess I'll have to find some way to get PayPal to help.

The Graef is a shame really. Great design in many ways, well made but I suspect that the burrs are poorly designed or the adjustment to coarse. 40 settings, chokes up on the finest and is way to coarse at 15.

John

-

They are stepped though. 2 variations, 40 step and 80 step. Not bad grinders, I had one ages ago.

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Customised Mazzer Major + Niche

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

I bought a Sage Smart Grinder Pro instead :o. There is a man on ebay selling factory reconditioned ones. Lots have gone. The recon. seems to mean comes with some coffee grinds so may be a test following a return or maybe some one used it. Hard to be sure but the burrs are still shiny. Seems that the same outfit sell a number of things from Sage. Usually factory recons or tested so probably returns. The only penalty is 12 months return to base warrantee. It will be a lot easier to sort out weight along with grinding on this and means I can have 2 beans about without messing about.

John

-