fatboyslim

LSOL October - Round Hill Roastery

Made another brew this morning. Much less enjoyable, astringent finish and lacking in depth. Given that my brew yesterday with this bean was absolutely delightful, this is without doubt operator error. Was trying to squeeze a bit more from it but I guess I was in a really sweet spot yesterday after the first attempt.

Using a new V60 method for this. Yesterday’s was 14g Coffee, 50g water, agitate. Then at 30 seconds pour another 200g water, finishing the pour after around 70 seconds total. Total brew time 2 mins 35.

Using a new V60 method for this. Yesterday’s was 14g Coffee, 50g water, agitate. Then at 30 seconds pour another 200g water, finishing the pour after around 70 seconds total. Total brew time 2 mins 35.

Might just give it a whirl now...

Lelit Mara 62, Niche Grinder, Decent Espresso tamper, V60, CCD, Aeropress, French Press, Moka pot, Kinu M47, Feldgrind, Porlex Mini, Kawasaki Versys 650 mk1

Yup...delicious (total brew time 3:30)

Edited by salty

Lelit Mara 62, Niche Grinder, Decent Espresso tamper, V60, CCD, Aeropress, French Press, Moka pot, Kinu M47, Feldgrind, Porlex Mini, Kawasaki Versys 650 mk1

LOL

I actually didn't spot that on the packet at all, I'm so blind!

and the 1st post was 2 weeks ago, long forgotten....

Yuxo09y.jpg

First attempt via Chemex - extraction yield came in at a tad under 21%. Gentle grape like acidity and sweet with a very long finish.

Going to give it a Sowden long steep next to see how it performs.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

LOL

I actually didn't spot that on the packet at all, I'm so blind!

and the 1st post was 2 weeks ago, long forgotten....

So back to my question (Which was a real question not, unusually perhaps, sarcasm)...

What made you think Pink=Espresso and Blue=Filter?

Did (or do) the beans look different? Smell?

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Manic Obsession"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expobar Brewtus DB, Mazzer SJ, Sowden, V60, Aeropress and all sorts

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently enjoying LSOL

So back to my question (Which was a real question not, unusually perhaps, sarcasm)...

Subconsciously remembering the post from earlier on, maybe?

When I opened mine, I thought, 'Oh good, pink!', and then I thought it MUST be a flowery flavour . . . I can’t wait until Sunday (ish) to try it!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

Coffee ritual now is on an evening I'll measure out doses for the following morning. 15g espresso roast, and 18g filter roast. Water ready in the Moka pot base, and in my pouring kettle.

Also, V60 ready on stand with washed filter and large milk pitcher ready underneath.

Morning time.. Auto mode.. blunder into kitchen at 5am.. Grinder on... settings are straight up on the EK for both. Induction hob on to boil for my kettle. Filter roast ground and tipped into V60, scales switched on.. Espresso ground and added to Moka basket (washed AeroPress filter already fitted to underside of top part on the metal filter. Top on and put on hob as kettle now boiled. Make filter coffee, pour into travel mug.. Moka ready and poured.. sit at table, eat breakfast and drink coffee.. Leave house, drink filter on way to work..

Today... Get to work, job at an old customers house.. Yay, he likes his coffee.. (home roasted Colombian IIRC, just passed second crack. Sit down and enjoy a flat white before anything else..

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Had a lovely french press at work this morning, really tasty, caramel and brown sugar.

Vesuvius, Monolith Conical, Feldgrind

Who will be the first to dive into the espresso!?!?

I’m already using it in my Moka Pot

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

I'm just finishing off some coffee compass then I'll dig in. Most likely in the morning

home - Sage dual boiler & Compak E8

work - Sage bambino plus & smart grinder

@SkateReclaimCreate

Sunday treat here :)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

I've just finished a first v60 with the filter roast. Thoroughly enjoyed it but I think I need to open the grind a bit. 18g > 300g. 30s bloom and total time of 3:30ish.

I'm no good at tasting notes but I reckon I could hazard a guess at origin. A pretty distinctive and recognizable smell hit me when I opened the bag.

I've been wrong before..

ACS Minima, Motta Tamper, Naked Portafilter + 18g VST, Baratza Sette 270, Brewista Scales

Hario V60 (02), Hario Skerton, Aeropress, Porlex

I thought there were slightly more lighter coloured beans in 1 of the packets which made me thought it was filter.

had a 1st chemex this morning, when it was very hot there was a lot of caramel, with a background of red berries, as it cooled this was flipped the other way. massively long finish on this, as I'm writing this it's almost 30 mins since I drank it and can still get it on my palate.

1 observation was that the grind produced a lot of chaff, I was able to remove almost all of it from my brew, hopefully that helped it a lot.

Yuxo09y.jpg

I'm in! My only complaint is that I'm using the beans to (finally) christen the pink filter wonder, (with a temporary funnel!) and the bags are the wrong way round. d1aebbf17af345b3b741aadfdbe6749e.jpgb124d6ad1197921c94129015fb4d2cf4.jpg

Did someone say coffee?

:Gaggia Classic--> Nuova Simonelli Oscar--> fracino Cherub:Mazzer SuperJolly:Hario V60+aeropress+french press:

I'm in again with a cappa.

20g >60g @ 24.15% ext :eek:

had a quick taste of the spro and it's very similar taste profile to the filter, the funk comes out a lot more.

in milk I'm still getting the red berries coming through, but every now and again I get a faint suggestion of something like horlicks.

this is a pretty cool bean, very fun to taste both filter and spro together.

so far I think I like it best as spro, will try it again this PM as a spro on it's own. suspect I hit the mark on the 1st shot but might try going 1 finer to see, I'm on 2.0 on the 3FE EK dial for those using it.

Yuxo09y.jpg

Seeing as my Aergrind is alleged to be coming next week, I'm beginning to think I should have asked for at least one bag of filter. Then again I haven't actually got a brewer yet either! I'm probably going to get an Aeropress and it's probably not fair to crucify good beans with untrained new methods. It'll be a week before I get onto my pink bags but the anticipation is building with every post I read.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

If anyone is still waiting for theirs to be delivered can you PM me please ASAP. Ta

Rocket Giotto Evo, Mythos, Torr x 2, Rapha Chris King Tamper (coz they are cool), VST's, Hausgrind, Airgrind, Hario Slim, Chemex, Aeropress, Oomph, Puck Puck, Bialetti, Black Acaia scales, Acia Lunas,fresh beans

Blah Blah Blah - it makes coffee

Seeing as my Aergrind is alleged to be coming next week, I'm beginning to think I should have asked for at least one bag of filter. Then again I haven't actually got a brewer yet either! I'm probably going to get an Aeropress and it's probably not fair to crucify good beans with untrained new methods. It'll be a week before I get onto my pink bags but the anticipation is building with every post I read.

you've actually made me wonder what the spro roast would taste like as filter, I might give it a try and do aside by side comparison out of interest.

Yuxo09y.jpg

What, you mean try both colour bags as filter to see the difference, or try the pink bag as spro and filter for comparison? Interesting either way, report back!

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

yes you could do it either way, but I'm thinking trying both colour bags as filter, more specifically I think I'll do them as CCDs, will get more consistent results I think that way to allow them to be compared.

I wish I had 2 of the same brewers so I could do them at the same time, maybe I'll go and borrow 1 of my brothers

Yuxo09y.jpg

40 min steep through CCD - sweet red berry acidity. Interestingly, finish not as long as with Chemex - enjoyable.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

yes you could do it either way, but I'm thinking trying both colour bags as filter, more specifically I think I'll do them as CCDs, will get more consistent results I think that way to allow them to be compared.

I wish I had 2 of the same brewers so I could do them at the same time, maybe I'll go and borrow 1 of my brothers

Please (everybody) Please....

a) Try the pink as espresso and as filter/various brews

b) Try the blue as espresso and as filter/various brews

I really want to know if anybody can give me any evidence to support there being a noticeable difference in the two profiles for different methods

On the basis that there are two profiles I am expecting some reported differences.....

BUT it is the "Pink is for espresso" " Blue is for filter" that I want to explore.....

What is is that makes the Pink "best" for espresso and blue "best" for brewed??

I can easily see that "someone" might prefer a specific profile for one or the other....

I can easily see that "someone" might like a specific profile for "any" method...

But what I really don't understand is what characteristics pre-define that a specific profile is best for one or the other...

I am hoping that Round Hill and/or other roasters might chip in here.......

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Manic Obsession"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expobar Brewtus DB, Mazzer SJ, Sowden, V60, Aeropress and all sorts

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently enjoying LSOL