fatboyslim

LSOL October - Round Hill Roastery

YAY!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

..I got it wrong :rolleyes:

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

If there's a winner already it saves me from embarrassing myself with a wrong guess. Still got a bag left. I reckon washed Rwanda fwiw. Congratulations to the mystery correct guesser. Curious for the reveal.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

If there's a winner already it saves me from embarrassing myself with a wrong guess. Still got a bag left. I reckon washed Rwanda fwiw. Congratulations to the mystery correct guesser. Curious for the reveal.

Great minds......

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

Hello LSOL,

SOOOOOOOO, the coffee you have been drinking is

https://roundhillroastery.com/collections/coffee/products/magarissa?variant=1874665734174

We have really enjoyed reading your feedback about this coffee, this might be one of the most Kenyan Like Ethiopias we have ever bought. A very juicy coffee, with some berry notes, a bit winey, that tomato note which many of you picked up on can be there quite a bit too. We chose this coffee because it is one which we have bought for many years but this year in particular it tasted so very different we knew it would be a challenge for you.

https://hub.cropster.com/store/listings/2046

This link gives you a lot more information about the coffee which we chose to purchase and roast for this project.

--

I am delighted to announce the winner of the competition is Flying Vee.

We have extended our 15% discount an all coffee and brewing equipment for you until November 30th just type LSOL at the checkout.

Many Many thanks from Eddie and the team at Round Hill Roastery.

Edited by Round Hill Roastery

No way! It even smells like Kenyan...

Congrats to the winner. I was way off. My guess was washed Rwandan

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

Well done flying vee I was 50% right in that I got Ethiopia but that successful guess was in fairness completely wiped out by my guess on process which was pulped natural - probably as far as it’s possible to get from washed.

As ever thanks daren and fatboyslim for organising. I’m really enjoying the opportunity and the banter. And of course Round Hill for the coffee!

Lelit Mara 62, Niche Grinder, Decent Espresso tamper, V60, CCD, Aeropress, French Press, Moka pot, Kinu M47, Feldgrind, Porlex Mini, Kawasaki Versys 650 mk1

https://roundhillroastery.com/collections/coffee/products/magarissa?variant=1874665734174

We have really enjoyed reading your feedback about this coffee, this might be one of the most Kenyan Like Ethiopias we have ever bought. A very juicy coffee, with some berry notes, a bit winey, that tomato note which many of you picked up on can be there quite a bit too. We chose this coffee because it is one which we have bought for many years but this year in particular it tasted so very different we knew it would be a challenge for you.

https://hub.cropster.com/store/listings/2046

This link gives you a lot more information about the coffee which we chose to purchase and roast for this project.

Gobsmacked and celebrating with an AP of the stuff.

I'd like to take this moment to thank... Oh wait this isn't the oscars. I do like that I was right when even the tasting notes say it tastes Kenyan

Great coffee @Round Hill Roastery and pleased it was a local roaster (for local people) this month . I see you've got some recipes on the website, have you tried Aeropress with this one. I'm favouring coarser grind and longer brew times although that's often where I end up. Any tips?

b753068816f004c7954bcb371896dc77.jpg

Congrat Flying_vee

And Thanks again, Round Hill Roastery and everyone involved. This really was a superb Ethiopian!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

interesting to hear that you're running 2bar pre & flat 9bar, is this your go to profile now?

It's too early for that as I've only just started trying it. I've been struggling with consistency and was reading an article by a champion barista saying they preinfuse then guessing by their maching I assume a flat profile thereafter and probably 9 bar so I thought I'd try it.

I'll try increasing the output to 40g tomorrow as per Round Hill's recipe.

Home: Sage Dual Boiler, Probat EK43 & Feldgind

Work: Sage Dual Boiler & Niche Zero

Well, think I mentioned something about it can't be a Kenyan to Daren lol. I thought it was a pulped natural as well, since I've got some washed beans and they don't have a strong smell, and it wasn't funky enough to be a full natural. Just shows doesn't it...

On a personal note, I've just measured out 2 lots of 16g of the espresso roast and pulled it through the Pavoni (output 31 and 32g respectively), then emptied the last of the filter roast out, and topped it off with the last few bits from the espresso roast to get 17g. Ground it a lot finer, dribbled water on from the grouphead and did a slow infusion, a longish pre-infusion (started dribbling) and pulled a 35g. Flattied it and had a lovely last brew of this.. I have to say this is one of those very rare occasions for me that I've actually finished the full 500g!! Been having V60's and Moka Pots and really enjoyed it. Loved my 'Baked bean sandwiches' in a cup on a morning (..thought I was going to have the pee taken out of me when I said I'd got baked beans! Don't think anyone else has put that on tasting notes before :rolleyes: Glad others thought the same - at least I wasn't going mad :popcorn:)

Thanks to @Round Hill Roastery @fatboyslim & @Daren for this.. Now then.. How are you going to beat this? It must be a Tony Hancock moment in that you must now top this performance. I'm sure you can and look forward to the next one when it 'Drops' :)

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Congratulations @Flying_Vee

PM me with your address so that I can sort out your fantastic prize

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

Me too!

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

I can get washed ethiopian, but boy oh boy am I far off these tasting notes :D

this has been a challenging coffee for me, lots of changes and not something that I would normally buy for myself - I think I've enjoyed the ride for these reasons, great fun (even the tomato!)

Yuxo09y.jpg

On the last of my first bag, really enjoyed the initially ‘tomato’ flavours but then is started lacking a bit for me.

Decided to coursen up the grind for today’s brews, sticking with the 20min+ aeropress brew. It’s resulted in a fantastic coffee.

Really happy I’ve still got another bag to play with

Porlex Hand Grinder | ROK Espresso Maker | Bodum French Press

I've one shot in the throat left (I think) and then it's onto the Union Bobolink - vainly hoping I can make 200g last until the Drop drops.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

I've one shot in the throat left (I think) and then it's onto the Union Bobolink - vainly hoping I can make 200g last until the Drop drops.

If you lived in York you could have your coffee today (Thursday) :)

Ha! Cheers FBS, the eagle has landed?! Unfortunately I'm down here in the Queen's back garden. Grinder will be cleaned tonight and in with the Bobo, should give me a few days. At least the Drop will be rested by then!

This eagle landed this morning. Thanks to @Daren @fatboyslim @Glenn for arranging the coffee and prize.

Had to chuckle when when it fell open on this page.

And the E8 arrived last night so a great 24hrs in all.

Time to sit down with a Finca San Francisco for a read. I mean do some work!f697d455eee063bdc208b7bb759bfdc4.jpg

This eagle landed this morning. Thanks to @Daren @fatboyslim @Glenn for arranging the coffee and prize.

Had to chuckle when when it fell open on this page.

And the E8 arrived last night so a great 24hrs in all.

Time to sit down with a Finca San Francisco for a read. I mean do some work!f697d455eee063bdc208b7bb759bfdc4.jpg

Well done again for correctly guessing. I think we'd all the be interested to hear your views on the book once you've had it for a bit.

Lovely write up in the new edition of Standart @Round Hill Roastery :)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband