thesmileyone

Had one cup of coffee since July...

So my Dehlonghi gets choked by the Eureka Mignon mk2 on a fine grind. If I grind coarser, the coffee tastes sour and disgusting.

As a result I have only had one cup of coffee from this setup. It was a bit yuk, very acidic. My favorite beans too although they could be gone off by now I guess.

I have (well, about to exchange cash for) just bought a Gaggia Classic with OPV mod and stuff. Will this keep up with the mignon mk2?

Thanks

No. I bought some scales and of course they didn't work, the readings were all over the place. Tbh I am not as hardcore as doing that. I just always put the same amount of grind in, tamp it the same way, etc.

The dehlonghi was doing wierd stuff like the whole extraction time would run and no coffee would come out. Then a few mins later when it had turned off, all the (now cold) coffee would shoot out of one of the ports at high pressure.

No. I bought some scales and of course they didn't work, the readings were all over the place. Tbh I am not as hardcore as doing that. I just always put the same amount of grind in, tamp it the same way, etc.

The dehlonghi was doing wierd stuff like the whole extraction time would run and no coffee would come out. Then a few mins later when it had turned off, all the (now cold) coffee would shoot out of one of the ports at high pressure.

No scales will mean inconsistent at best, bad at worst coffee no matter what machine...

Simple truth....

What u Re doing isn't working, so try scales and a better technique. A gaggia or any machine won't magically make better coffee for you.

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

What scales do you recommend that arent £100 upwards?

I spent £20 and put my basket on it: when I press Tare it goes to 0.00 and then when I put the coffee in the basket it gives me the weight of the basket and the coffee.

Then it does the same again for the actual shot.

Useless.

2kg 2000g/0.1g Household Mini Kitchen Scales LCD Display Scale Digital Electronic Kitchen Food Diet Balance Pocket Scales https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MZB0UTK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_s6h0zbQ6B9SBN

These are the scales I use. They do the job perfectly well.

home - Sage dual boiler & Compak E8

work - Commandante C40 and aeropress 

please don’t ask me to mod your sage portafilter

@SkateReclaimCreate

@thesmileyone

So reading your scales issue above are we right to assume that although you tare the scales prior to putting coffee in the basket thus zero that somehow they then revert to weighing not just the ground coffee but the weight of the basket as well? When pouring your shot you have tared the scales to zero with the cup in place (below the now locked in portafilter) and somehow the scales register the cup[ weight plus the coffee?

If the above is correct and assuming that the scales are not being overloaded at point of taring i.e. designed to take max 500g and you exceeding this weight with either portafilter handle or cup, you are not moving the scales once tared are you? (if you are that may explain why your weights are all over the shop?)

Just thoughts and trying to rule out a few things

John

p.s.

Weigh ground coffee in / weigh liquid coffee into cup. Full stop. (all other routes lead to inconsistency / pain / head scratching / going round in circles/ wondering why you spent you money on a tricked up classic, delete whichever appropriate) time is less important, use as a guide, if tasty at 50 seconds, great, if not, grind coarser till you find the sweet spot.

Edited by johnealey
added tag

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 90Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

To be fair that upgrade was going to happen anyway, it is a stopgap untill I can find what I want on the second hand market (NS Mythos, LM GS3 MP).

I use maths for work every day. I don't want to turn my kitchen into a math lab just to make a decent shot. Does that make sense?

I see people on youtube all the time doing it without scales. How do these people manage?

To be fair that upgrade was going to happen anyway, it is a stopgap untill I can find what I want on the second hand market (NS Mythos, LM GS3 MP).

I use maths for work every day. I don't want to turn my kitchen into a math lab just to make a decent shot. Does that make sense?

No, it doesn't make any sense. I don't think reading a number off a scale really qualifies as maths. You are preparing a food product, in the shortest time possible, with the smallest amount of beverage out. Food preparation normally requires a recipe (weights of ingredients, heat, time...and in the case of coffee: grind), that's all you're supposed to be doing. Non-volumetric machines will need you to do this.

You have gone 2 months without coffee because you don't have an idea as to why your recipe isn't working. We don't know why either, because you cannot tell us what you have done.

If you just want to watch videos of nice looking shots go ahead, but none of us know what those shots taste like.

Edited by MWJB

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Coarse grinding is often used when you are preparing coffee in a coffee press machine. Perhaps, you need to adjust the coffee grounds.

I see people on youtube all the time doing it without scales. How do these people manage?

Honestly buying a gs3 and a mythos , wont help, people can and will make bad coffee with em . Plenty of cafes do .

Perhaps you see people in cafes or youtube who have made 1000's of shots of the same coffee over and over again . I guarantee that at some point they will have weighed a dose and weighed the output to get there .

You came here asking for advice on why your coffee isn not tasty, you got sound advice , for whatever reason you dont want to try it , up to you again . and i say this in a friendly manner, honestly , what you are doing isnt working , more expensive equipment will not magically make better coffee , it's easier to use for sure but unless you get a free barista with it it wont be a magic bullet.

I hope you find what you are looking for and what you want in the cup , throwing money at the problem though is IMHO not gonna solve your issues.

Edited by Mrboots2u

Instagram - rjw_inc

I've been using the same £4 eBay 0.01 digital jewellery scales for years.

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

You still need to dial it in with scales.

This is the guy from La Marzocco , they make the GS3....and the other guy is US Barista champ ...

Advice on how to make great shots ...

use scales ....

Instagram - rjw_inc

As others have said try something simpler with scales.

I find the weighing therapeutic! Much more consistent since I weighed in and out. Can also play around with the brew ratio to change the flavour (as mentioned in the video). I just treat it, as previously mentioned, like a good recipie. Well worth the effort

Tried mine again today, I weighed a 1g item and it said it was 0.70g. Also, TARE did not work again.

They are these ones https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMIR-High-precision-Multifunctional-Stainless-Batteries/dp/B01JKX4QAC/

So as I asked before, any suggestions for some proper ones that don't cost £100 each?

I used these for some time before getting silly scales. The good thing about these is that they come with a plastic protector which works perfectly as a tray to stop 'em getting wet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IZ1YHZK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Home: Vesuvius + EK

Work: Aeropress + EK

Founder of upgradeitis anonymous - "The first step is admitting you no longer have any money"

Have you tried recalibrating them?

Tried mine again today, I weighed a 1g item and it said it was 0.70g. Also, TARE did not work again.

They are these ones https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMIR-High-precision-Multifunctional-Stainless-Batteries/dp/B01JKX4QAC/

So as I asked before, any suggestions for some proper ones that don't cost £100 each?

Laissez les bons temps rouler

I've never spent £100 on a single set of scales. £8.99 is suspiciously cheap for 0.01g scales, 500g is suspiciously high a total weight for 0.01g resolution, normally 0.01g scales are 200-300g total weight...looks like they read to 0.01g but 0.3g accuracy isn't a typical for 0.1g scales.

Worry more about how repeatable the weight readings are, if the 1g load reads as 0.7g all the time, that's still useful for consistency.

Try CoffeeHit for proven sets around £20.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/