The best ever milk thermometer is the Mk1 finger and its free.

Method

1. Hold finger tip on jug

2. Steam milk

3. Continue to steam milk

4. Wait until finger is getting rather warm

5. Remove finger from jug

6. Replace finger tip on jug

7. Did you say &*$£""! when carrying out 6, if not goto 5

8. Stop steaming

Subjectivity is a central philosophical concept, related to consciousness, agency, personhood, amount spent, reality and truth which has been defined by various sources.

Thanks for the tips Dave! I'm currently struggling to get good microfoam using my classic (with PID for brew/steaming). Thought it would take temp out of the equation by accurately measuring and also so I can calibrate my finger! At the moment I've managed to get a single cup in about 30 tries where I have got something that resembles proper microfoam. Mostly either getting hot milk or mostly thick foam. I know I need to keep practicing but also wanted to measure the temp so I can change from the 'chirping' noise where I'm creating the bubbles to then dropping the wand a little deeper and start incorporating the bubbles into the milk. Have also been studying lots of youtube videos too but everyone seems to use a slightly different method. I feel I'm pretty close, think to nail it I need an evening spend texturing water with a drop of washing up liquid in it. Although I am quite fond of a hot milk before bed :D

Good foam is an art .. bit like a learner driver trying to listen to the radio, read a map, light a cigarette, reverse around a corner and have a conversation all at the same time, and when it all falls into place you will wonder what the fuss was all about.

Follow the videos on milk quantity and expanding, then drop the tip and go for the swirl to mix it up

Use blue top milk (it expands easier)

Having big jugs is not better.

Subjectivity is a central philosophical concept, related to consciousness, agency, personhood, amount spent, reality and truth which has been defined by various sources.

'Having big jugs is not better', some would probably beg to differ with you on that statement

"I like coffee because it gives me the illusion that I might just be awake."

giphy.gif

I have tried them, lol

giphy.gif

No need to get a temptag - the lag with thermometers is always too slow. As mentioned just hold a jug - ideally a small espro jug or equivalent in the palm of your hand and when it is too hot to hold the milk is done... practice with water with a tiny drop of washing up liquid in it... you can then see if u r creating the spin/vortex required - saves milk...

GS3 and Versalab M3; Vario Home, Aeropress and Kalita Wave

Totally recommend the TempTag

Its consistent and available via Rave or Bella Barista

If you have another regular roaster who you'd like to stock them then get in touch and I will send you a set of TempTags as referral if they order from me

This offer applies to anyone who makes an introduction!

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

Thanks to Glen I’m the proud owner of a temp tag and cannot be happier with it. I was overheating the milk prior to having it and now within a week I can (sort of) create some latte art! My flat whites also taste much better too. cde83eac633ccb257803d68a91c53cfe.jpg

Cheers Glen!

It's amazing how much of an impact they can have.

Glad you like it :)

Basic question but what is the optimum temperature - is it 60degC or can we go hotter?

Also, while on the topic, we tend to use Aria B.O.B (best of both) milk in our house. It is a fat free skimmed milk with added protein to give it a nice taste. It is also filtered so has longer fridge-life. It steams quite well - which I was suprised about. However, I read in "The World Atlas of Coffee" that it is the protein that supports the bubbles, so maybe that explains it. Whole milk is excellent but the B.O.B works better than I thought it would.

I stop at 50 degrees for flat white.

At a training I was told that proteins provide foaming and fat supports the bubbles, so you can make microfoam with skimmed milk but it will not last as long and nice as with full fat

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, MaraXprofitec, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air, Niche Zero, Aergrind, IMS and VST baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, modded Gene Cafe CBR 101, BWT Bestmax PREMIUM V

It's proteins bonded to fat molecules that expand and trap micro bubbles at a certain temperature (around 60°c) that cause the microfoam we know and love. Any higher a temp than that, and the fats start to melt away from the proteins and release all that goodness, causing faster separation of the entire liquid mass and bitterness when they do.

"decaf iced americano, warm half-soy-half-oat floated on the top with 3 shakes cinnamon. I'm in a rush by the way. Oh, make sure it's E̵̘̹͍̒͊X̷̣̍͂t̶̙̽̚R̴̡̯̾͜a̸̡͉͝ ̷̨̪̓́H̵̟̳͋̉o̶̖̊̌͐Ț̷͔͑͜͠"

And higher still you cook (denaturate) the proteins, ending up with a real mess :p

but is it true that the Spanish cafe con leche is supposed to be made with scalded milk? some people apparently like it

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, MaraXprofitec, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air, Niche Zero, Aergrind, IMS and VST baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, modded Gene Cafe CBR 101, BWT Bestmax PREMIUM V

65c is considered optimum for full fat whereas 58c is best for Soy

Most people enjoy their milk-infused coffee 60-65c

You can visibly see the effects when you heat milk to 70c which starts to break down the fats and the liquid becomes watery very quickly

Is there any functional advantage to traditional thermometers verses LCD ones? Or does it purely come down to whichever you feel is more convenient?

Also, is there any difference between brands of LCD thermometers?