Coffee Forums banner

Grinder adjustment

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  stuey 
#1 ·
How often should i have to adjust the fineness/coarseness of my grinder ? it was fine last night pulled a shot today and it was way to quick im using the sage smart grinder and the same fill of beans

#2 ·
Don't forget that the odd quick flow can be caused by water channeling ... aka dodgy distribution / tamp

So just to be sure, do another at the same setting before altering the grind

#3 ·
you see there is a lot of clumping i try and even it out i noticed some of the used pucks seemed to have dry bits in the middle im using a calibrated tamper so that bit should be ok i know the guy that owns the coffee shop in work has to fine tune his grinder after he refills the hopper but its only a small adjustment and at times he said he don't have to touch it im using the same coffee beans as him thow hes using a mazzer major grinder

#9 ·
icom102 said:
i keep my beans in their bag and just weight out the amount i need each time
You will still need to adjust every couple of days or sooner, I believe the steps on the sage grinder are quite large so may not be the best for fine tuning but if you are consistently (try to get around 3 shots out on the same grind just be sure that its actually too coarse and its not channeling) getting shots that are too fast then you will need to adjust. There are too many variables that will cause the need to adjust grind daily (temperature, humidity, storage, staling) that it is more convenient to just adjust grind then try to lock down these variables.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.