MildredM

Monolith Owners Division

Now begins the agonising wait for the next run

Perhaps this will help, arrived todayP1040514.jpg

P1040516.jpg

Pic of first shot which ran slow. second shot was also slow but better.

I will try to run some beans through over the weekend and mess around some more. :)

Londinium I / Monolith Conical / Macap MC4 / Cormorant CR600 Roaster

@iroko. Is that from the current production batch?

Londinium - R, Monolith MC3, Two Jugs, One TempTag, Nine Assorted And Much Sought After MildredM Bar Towels

@mmmatron My understanding is that the current production run is not too far off completion and that there is a smaller, fully subscribed, production run scheduled for delivery in February 2018.

So it could well be the April/May 2018 before the next batch ships.

Previously, email notifications have been sent out declaring that pre-orders are open and typically, the whole allocation of conicals have been snapped up inside four hours. (Flats two days.) So very much a lottery as to how quickly you get to see and respond to the notification email. I've already posted on a previous thread that I had a huge stroke of luck that enabled me to react and secure my pre-order back in June.

Anyway, the good news is that Kafatek will now look to give about one week prior notice when they announce the date that new pre-orders will open. That should give prospective buyers, especially those here in the UK, a far better opportunity to get in there on time !

Londinium - R, Monolith MC3, Two Jugs, One TempTag, Nine Assorted And Much Sought After MildredM Bar Towels

Thanks @Snakehips, I’ll keep an eye out.

I’ve got 4 different bags of beans in my cupboard, I’m looking forward to being able to alternate with ease!

Vesuvius, Monolith Conical, Feldgrind

Some Monolith Conical related waffle…….

Back in February, I was fancying the idea of both single-dosing and trying a conical grinder. That’s when I fist became aware of the Kafatek Monolith grinders, manufactured in Seattle by Denis Basaric. I found the notion of having a grinder that was specifically designed to single-dose very appealing so I registered to receive notification as and when pre-orders opened for the next production batch. As previously posted, I had a big chunk of luck that enabled me to get my name on a conical.

Then followed what seemed like a long wait, with no real indication of how things were progressing. Until, the end of July, when an email advised that components were sourced, machined and finished and that assembly, testing and shipping would soon commence. This was to be done in batches of six machines, alternating between flats and conicals, each in order number sequence. A new webpage became available showing the up to date status of all machines, by order number. I was pleasantly surprised by speed at which final assembly progressed and on 10th August, final payment was requested with a view to the machine being shipped on Friday 11th.

On 12th August I received a test report. My machine had been used to grind a reference bean for several shots pulled on a single group Slayer. The shots were assessed using both refractometer measurement and taste and the grinder had met expectations.

Monday 14th August, just four days after despatch in the US, DHL delivered here in the UK !

The packaging was superb, see MildredM’s photos in post #29, so ‘Monty’ arrived safe and well accompanied by an aluminium portafilter funnel, OCD style levelling tool, WDT tool, RDT spray bottle and a bag of beans. UK customers are advised that they need to supply their own standard PC or kettle, mains lead and if you have that to hand then the grinder is good to go within minutes.

This batch saw the introduction of the new ‘safety hopper’, designed to stop inquisitive children or inebriated home baristas from losing fingers. It is easily removable should anyone wish to revert to using the old open hopper. The previously standard wooden cap for the open hopper is now an optional extra. Even with the addition of the safety hopper the grinder is only 415mm high. The base is just 200mm x 160mm and with the body about 120mm x 90 mm it seemed positively dinkey compared to the Olympus 75e. However it weighs in at a solid and extremely well engineered, 10 kilogram.

fullsizeoutput_705.jpg

I had a somewhat disjointed first week of ownership with circumstances not conducive to me do much other than snatching the odd coffee, to drink. The dark roast coffee that came with the grinder was soon designated as burr seasoning fodder and the notion that I could suddenly switch from my usual 18g vst and double spout to a new 15g vst and naked pf was soon dismissed as extremely foolish thinking. So I was into week two before I was able to give the new machine the attention it deserved.

It really didn’t take much sorting. The main issue was convincing myself that I should need to be grinding a good 7 full marks finer than the setting it arrived with (espresso for the test beans and pulled on the Slayer). Having done so, I removed the original vinyl pointer that was fast disappearing off the scale, and added a new one to give me a fresh mid-scale reference.

This grinder is so quiet. Quiet when grinding and almost silent if running without beans.

It is not a fast grinder. It runs at 144 rpm in order to grind coffee evenly and minimise heating.

Adjustment is step-less and simple. Just ease off the locking screw, rotate the then free-turning hopper then nip up the locking screw. Should you ever forget to re-lock, the direction of rotation will open the burrs, not close, so not likely to do any damage.

The fixed scale,1 -10, is subdivided. Settings are not absolute but relative to the aforementioned pointer which you might typically set at 5 to represent the ‘middle’ of your espresso range. You can go well off scale to achieve courser grinds for brewing or extremely fine grinds if you wish. Maybe if switching regularly from espresso to brewed, have a second, different colour pointer that is on scale for your brew range.

I had imagined myself pre-weighing a day’s worth of beans into cellars but without the pressure to produce several shots back to back, I’m happy to weigh as I go. I actually like the idea of being able to scan the beans for foreign objects as I weigh out.

Grind quality was good from the get go but improved even within the first 5kg or so of throughput.

Depending upon beans and humidity, there is evidence of some static but I have not yet felt the need to use the RDT spray bottle supplied.

It makes sense to use the supplied portafilter funnel when grinding direct into the portafilter. If the supports are set correctly then you can leave the portafilter unattended and grind hands free. I prefer to grind, hands free, but into a catch cup and then tip the grounds into the portafilter. I also routinely use a photo lens puffer that sits nicely in the 19mm hole in the safety hopper. Two or three puffs towards the end of grind ensure maximum output. It varies bean to bean but there will invariably be a small amount of coffee stuck inside the exit chute. The chute is magnetically attached and therefore easily removed. A tap of a finger is enough to quickly clear the chute.

I experience virtually no mess from ground coffee. There appears to be more chaff produced than with my previous grinders and what little mess there is, is from chaff.

fullsizeoutput_704.jpg

I will make a separate post shortly giving some insight into dose consistency and retention values but for now let me just say that I no longer feel the need to weigh the output. Sometimes I do but I don’t need to as I’m confident that it will be well within my acceptable limits.

I do stir the dose as much out of habit as anything else. I have had great tasting coffee both with and without but I like to stir.

So to conclude. I love this grinder. There is nothing in the way that I use it that annoys or frustrates me. I’m not blessed with a particularly educated palate but I do know that I am getting something more from my coffee than ever before. It’s great to be able to flip between different beans at will and extremely satisfying to know that you are not needlessly wasting coffee beans.

Edited by Snakehips

Just which one? The flat is superb

AKA Toffee chips

The Conical isn’t too bad either :)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

Just which one? The flat is superb

Listen, don’t be confusing me

I’m going for the conical...but the flat does look very good...oh bugger!

Some more Monolith Conical related waffle…….

Some observations that hopefully give an idea of the retention I’m getting with my Monolith Conical (TiN Burrs). Measurements taken were never intended to be part of a controlled investigation but none the less, they were taken with care using an Acaia Lunar scale.

Some coffee sticking to the inside of the hopper. Above the burrs so I do wonder if some of this is down to my using the puffer ?

fullsizeoutput_70a.jpg

Undo two socket screws at the rear of the top plate, slightly slacken three screws at top of the back plate and the top burr assembly is easily removed.

Coffee collects in all the usual places. Visually, there appears to be quite a lot !

fullsizeoutput_708.jpg

All the retained coffee bar for whatever small amount might be under the lower burr, was carefully removed and weighed. Total retention after 26 days of use was 1.51g

fullsizeoutput_709.jpg

13 days later a second clear out weighed in at 1.05g

After a further 43 days use the total was 1.54g

I’m happy to regard that as 1.5g total retention and can’t see why that figure would increase!

Not unnaturally, immediately following a clean out, the larger voids in the grind chamber, such as the counter-bores in the top burr, swallow up grounds from the first few doses. Typically, I recorded 0.5g gone missing within the first three, post clean-out, grinds.

However, once settled, I consider dose variance to be within acceptable limits.

Two grinds this morning as a random example…..

First grind : Beans in 18.71g Coffee out 18,62g Coffee AWOL 0.09g

90 Min later : Beans in. 18.67 Coffee out 18.63 Coffee AWOL 0.04g

I’ve had such a high incidence of the grinder yielding what I’ve put in +- 0.20g that I’ve long since stopped making notes. I do the odd spot check on weight out if it takes my fancy. Here are some typical values from back when I did.

IN Out Diff

18.60 18.40 0.20

18.56 18.42 0.14

18.65 18.54 0.11

18.60 18.46 0.14

18.63 18.37 0.26

18.62 18.47 0.15

18.61 18.50 0.11

18.70 18.65 0.05

18.56 18.53 0.03

18.62 18.35 0.27

18.56 18.17 0.39 *after a clean out

18.62 18.50 0.12

18.19 17.93 0.26

Roast level and humidity will be factors that affect dose variance. Often, variance is zero and on occasion you get out more than you put in ! I assume that is down to variance in the ‘exchange’ that DavecUK speaks of in his Niche grinder review.

I do know that if after grinding, I momentarily back off the grind setting then re-set it and run the grinder for a few seconds, I can get anything between 0.00g to 0.30g additional coffee out. I’m assuming that represents a good proportion of the ‘exchange’ coffee? It only takes a few seconds to do but quite frankly, I don’t bother.

End of waffle methinks!

fullsizeoutput_707.jpg

Can’t wait to see this and the flat side by side at the Forum day

AKA Toffee chips

@iroko. Is that from the current production batch?

@Snakehips, Yes It's from the current production batch.

@iroko Are you preferring to use without the safety hopper?

I took It off when first got grinder, haven't tried grinder with It on.

I'm the only one using grinder so really not needed.

I know it's early days but are you pleased with it ?

Very pleased, top quality. I,m going to run some beans through during the week to help season the burrs.

I've only managed to run 4 shots through so far.

Great posts snakehips , conical with real low retention what’s not to like , you said you produce a fair bit of chaf ,is this the same for all the different types of beans you’ve tried.?

cant wait to see both these at the rave day .

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

@mmmatron if you want to have a go with the flat prior to buying one (a kafatek I know you've picked out a conical) you're welcome to take mine for a week or so while Im without machine if you're passing.

Great posts snakehips , conical with real low retention what’s not to like , you said you produce a fair bit of chaf ,is this the same for all the different types of beans you’ve tried.?

cant wait to see both these at the rave day .

@Thecatlinux Thanks.

Good question re the chaff and the honest answer is that I don't know. It's certainly not a big deal but there would appear to be more chaff than I've noticed before and it does find it's way out to either cling to the grinder or onto the worktop. I will now try and establish if it varies much between bean type and will report back.

I've noticed a bit of chaff. In my mind I thought it was more noticable [than other grinders] because everything comes out (bar maybe the odd miniscule of a gram) and that it was probably clogging up the internals of previus grinders I've had.

Some beans are slighly more chaffy than others, in my opinion. Only slightly so - and there's only a slight amount of chaff.

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

I've noticed a bit of chaff. In my mind I thought it was more noticable [than other grinders] because everything comes out (bar maybe the odd miniscule of a gram) and that it was probably clogging up the internals of previus grinders I've had.

Some beans are slighly more chaffy than others, in my opinion. Only slightly so - and there's only a slight amount of chaff.

I get a fair amount of chaff with the HG1 too. I also assumed it was to do with the single dosing nature

Ve ve suvivius.... /E37s/ Eazytamp / tupperware pot / completely healthy relationship with coffee (and bank manager).

Well I've exclusively used the Union Bobolink today and there ain't not no blinkin' chaff to be seen !!!!!

The Bobo is new to my repertoire as of yesterday so it must looks like the chaffers are likely to be amongst my Foundry / Pharmacie beans.

I reckon Rocko Mountain was a chaffer but I have none to hand to prove it.

Never fear, the culprits will be rooted out and named !

@cambosheff that’s a lovely offer, thanks! I’m a bit tied up at the minute but thanks so much for the offer

I got the Bobolink as a gift earlier in the year and loved it. I hope its as good for you.

As for the chaff, in the limited time I used mine (a full two days :) I only noticed the chaff on roasts on the lighter side and usually it was a given as I could see it still on the beans going in. And it usually only made its self visible right at the end of grinding.