MildredM

Monolith Owners Division

Just sharing a shot pulled tonight. 

It is the Costa Rica Finca Licho yellow honey processed bean from HasBean. Purchased in March at the start of lockdown and vac packed for the freezer a week after roasting, it has been a real treat to enjoy this last couple of days.

Using the MAX, dosing 16g, tamping 10kg, 15s pi, 50s, 36g. I’m using the baskets that came with the L-R now which I think, from the top of my head, were 16g baskets. The top of the puck is slightly lower than in my 15g VST baskets.

• Like 3

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles  /  1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip, tamper and stand, portafilter stand  /  Monolith Titan MAX and something or other on order  / HG-1  /  Kalita wave  /  Stag kettle  /  OCD  /  Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer  /  gold B Plus stirrer  /  Push Tamper  /  Puqpress  /  EPHQ 14g baskets & 15g & 18g vst  /  IMS 35μM  /  LDT  /  Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers  /  LW Bean Cellars & Caddy  /  Decent thermometer  /  Acme Evo 150ml cups  /  Espazzola  /  Hottop  /  embroidered by me bar towels  /  coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  /  in the cellars: HasBean, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, Craft House sub  /  6 gorgeous guineas  /  a dog  /  a very lovely and understanding husband 

Towel Vendor / KafaTek and Londinium Fan

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MildredsBarTowels

@MildredM is that this one? https://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/costa-rica-finca-licho-yellow-honey-villa-sarchi

Was commenting that this sounded like it'd make a killer flat white to someone the other day...

/\_/\ .。oO(Vesuvius, Niche Zero, V60)
   >^.^<.---.
  _'-`-'     )\
 (--\ |--\ (`.`-.
     --'  --'  ``-'

Are you saying you are not getting this?

Are you saying you are not getting this?

I do get that but once inserted it sits without moving with the funnel.8fb302e8e6cafd7709d4badf8ba13ce0.jpg
191d323fc529e9921a01d8a37b5147ff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, catpuccino said:

@MildredM is that this one? https://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/costa-rica-finca-licho-yellow-honey-villa-sarchi

Was commenting that this sounded like it'd make a killer flat white to someone the other day...

Yes, I think so 😁 just slightly different notes but so similar 😁 flat white or straight, this one's delicious!

3C057885-E811-4F3C-8AD3-006789842878.jpeg

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles  /  1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip, tamper and stand, portafilter stand  /  Monolith Titan MAX and something or other on order  / HG-1  /  Kalita wave  /  Stag kettle  /  OCD  /  Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer  /  gold B Plus stirrer  /  Push Tamper  /  Puqpress  /  EPHQ 14g baskets & 15g & 18g vst  /  IMS 35μM  /  LDT  /  Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers  /  LW Bean Cellars & Caddy  /  Decent thermometer  /  Acme Evo 150ml cups  /  Espazzola  /  Hottop  /  embroidered by me bar towels  /  coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  /  in the cellars: HasBean, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, Craft House sub  /  6 gorgeous guineas  /  a dog  /  a very lovely and understanding husband 

15 hours ago, MildredM said:

Just sharing a shot pulled tonight. 

It is the Costa Rica Finca Licho yellow honey processed bean from HasBean. Purchased in March at the start of lockdown and vac packed for the freezer a week after roasting, it has been a real treat to enjoy this last couple of days.

Using the MAX, dosing 16g, tamping 10kg, 15s pi, 50s, 36g. I’m using the baskets that came with the L-R now which I think, from the top of my head, were 16g baskets. The top of the puck is slightly lower than in my 15g VST baskets.

Wow, really long extraction time, I'd never think to pull a shot that slow, must go try it. What preinfusion pressure were you using for this?

• Like 1

That lucky Londinium R, Kafatek Max and MC3

11 minutes ago, RobW said:

Wow, really long extraction time, I'd never think to pull a shot that slow, must go try it. What preinfusion pressure were you using for this?

I was on 4.5bar for this shot. It really worked for that bean 😁 

Often at 15s to 20s PI here with a 30s extraction, typically between 3.5 and 5 bar depending on bean. Higher for the lighter roasts. I typically grind for a target 34g in 30s from 16.5g dose. The PI is what it is so to speak. Taste then adjust. Had some really long extractions at the 40s mark and still good.
Got to go with the bean[emoji1303]

• Like 1

On 01/08/2020 at 10:42, MildredM said:

I was on 4.5bar for this shot. It really worked for that bean 😁 

Even using the EPHQ basket (which looks identical to the Londinium stock basket) I can't get a total (PI + shot time) of more than 30 seconds with the burrs starting to chirp. I wonder if the burrs are different on these latest batches? I have to admit to being a bit disappointed at the moment. I put 3kg of beans through it to start with and maybe another kg since, so it should be reasonably seasoned by now. The tightness of the espresso range and the inability to grind fine enough makes it challenging.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, RobW said:

Even using the EPHQ basket (which looks identical to the Londinium stock basket) I can't get a total (PI + shot time) of more than 30 seconds with the burrs starting to chirp. I wonder if the burrs are different on these latest batches? I have to admit to being a bit disappointed at the moment. I put 3kg of beans through it to start with and maybe another kg since, so it should be reasonably seasoned by now. The tightness of the espresso range and the inability to grind fine enough makes it challenging.

What dose are you using and its with the updated Londinium ?

Edited by Mrboots2u

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

I had exactly the same issues Rob. Mine was from the February 2020 batch and think there have already been a few burr swaps by Denis in the versions released since this. Which to me highlighted a few issues or inconsistencies with those burrs.

I ran close to 20kg through them and although the grind became more consistent. As the burrs seasoned more the inability to grind finer and finer reduced without burrs chirping. I was struggling to get a shot time on my max and LR exceeding about 25 seconds.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, RobW said:

That sounds frustrating. Have a word with Denis for some advice. Not sure if I said I am dosing 16g now (was always 15g) and also using the EPHQ baskets now. I like the taste more than from the VST (and they were tricky to get really right.) Keep trying, changing dose etc. And talk to Denis ;)

Have you access to an alternative grinder to benchmark the bean with?

Does seem like a problem.

I can choke the Londinium with masses of adjustment left on my C#%*do (not sure I should mention it in this thread[emoji6])

But the same with my (ex Mildred) conic. I’ve had to coursen that off quite a lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrboots2u said:

What dose are you using and its with the updated Londinium ?

18g dose, which is a bit tight in the EPHQ basket but just about fits. Normally dose 18g in an 18g VST basket.

My LR has digital preinfusion.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Planter said:

I had exactly the same issues Rob. Mine was from the February 2020 batch and think there have already been a few burr swaps by Denis in the versions released since this. Which to me highlighted a few issues or inconsistencies with those burrs.

I ran close to 20kg through them and although the grind became more consistent. As the burrs seasoned more the inability to grind finer and finer reduced without burrs chirping. I was struggling to get a shot time on my max and LR exceeding about 25 seconds.

Interesting to hear that others have had issues. I'll get in touch with Denis and see what he says. How did you resolve this in your case?

1 hour ago, Chainlinephil said:

Have you access to an alternative grinder to benchmark the bean with?

Does seem like a problem.

I can choke the Londinium with masses of adjustment left on my C#%*do (not sure I should mention it in this threademoji6.png)

But the same with my (ex Mildred) conic. I’ve had to coursen that off quite a lot.

I have access to an MC3 😁. Same beans are perfectly fine through that, not even at the bottom of the range I typically find. On the MC3 I have a range of roughly 2 to 5.5, these beans are at 3. 

Conic produce more fines and for them is easy to achieve slow extractions.

CFBG Team

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

Just now, L&R said:

Conic produce more fines and for them is easy to achieve slow extractions.

I know this, but I did not expect to be getting <20 second gushers at burr touch. As others have said, on previous flats it was perfectly possible to choke the machine well away from burr touch. These burrs are supposed to be optimised for espresso.

What does Denis say about this, he is usually very responsive?

CFBG Team

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

1 minute ago, L&R said:

What does Denis say about this, he is usually very responsive?

Just emailing him now, he is very responsive 👍

Interesting to hear that others have had issues. I'll get in touch with Denis and see what he says. How did you resolve this in your case?
I'll fire a PM to you Rob

I had a prompt response from Denis. He confirmed there has been a change in coating and finish on the burrs, resulting in less fines which will be the reason for the disparity between my grinder and ones from previous batches. He said on this iteration grinding close to 0 is expected.

He also suggested updosing to 18g and really thorough WDT.

I'll give them some more time, but might be tempted to experiment with different burrs. These low uniformity burrs certainly take some getting used to!

• Like 1

I  have had the Max since the beginning  of May 20 with about 9/10 kilo thru it .. Currently between 1.5 to 2 with burr touch at 0.5 now .. I am using it with a E61 with flow control , although I’ve stopped using the flow control as it adds nothing to improvement in taste that it did with the Monolith flat  or HG1 . I still have the flat and HG1 that I use occasionally.

My burrs are the same as those in the last release I believe , a reddy yellow SSP . The February release possibly had a mixture of different burrs . I taste every shot before I add milk and even the 20 second gushers have been great ..

I am still using the Eazytamp pro tamper with the 15kg spring in it .

Overall I am very happy with the improvement in taste .. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicknak said:

I am still using the Eazytamp pro tamper with the 15kg spring in it

I'd forgotten they were 15kg. Made me look what we were tamping at. Changed it to 14kg for this afternoons shots, from 12kg this morning :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MildredM said:

I'd forgotten they were 15kg. Made me look what we were tamping at. Changed it to 14kg for this afternoons shots, from 12kg this morning :)

Did you notice much of a difference ? It did come with a 10kg and 5kg springs ..