MildredM

Monolith Owners Division

3739c956e735db8be9cdbe77191aaec9.jpg

68a4785ef6223a9771aaa19cc98bdbc3.jpg

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband / 

I regularly purchase from the US without a hitch, this is the first such failure I've had paying for anything within the past 18 months.

Regardless that is not something one should have to do, when something is in your basket/being paid for the item should be locked down (for a short period of time) - I go back to my loaf of bread analogy.

In fairness Kafatek do seem interested in fixing the (severely) broken system, hopefully it'll end up fairer and more suitable for a product of its price.

I've experienced very recently being locked out of my account while in France, I spent three 15 minute sessions on the phone in an attempt to get it resolved ending with a promise of them contacting me, it was frustrating just waiting for a call that eventually came eighteen hours later, during which time I used an account we have with another bank that given the infrequency of using it, a hic cup was resolved within ten minutes and the security on the second account is more robust and yet easier to solve an issue without needing to sit and wait for ma call.

I'm not one for changing and moving banks but that experience is tipping the scales.

Jon.

One Life this is it, it's not a rehearsal so enjoy it best you can - Have some fun, buy a coffee machine.;)

ECM Synchronika - ECM V-Titan 64 Grinder - AMIR Scales and they work fine - 15-18-20-22-25g VST Filter Baskets - Several Jugs and a Home Made Knock Box. - Useful contributions from the Family.

It is pretty much a one man band. You can't expect him to have the sort of sophisticated e-commerce queuing system that big companies have. Next time use PayPal, that worked for me in the last round when I got a Conical. I also make plenty of purchases from the States on my credit card but you can see how such large value transactions might arouse suspicion.

Hopefully he will implement an easier and fairer system. At the moment the system is made worse by people opening multiple browser windows and frantically refreshing all of them - that just makes more traffic.

One day I would love a Max to go alongside my MC3 but I'd happily pay a small deposit and then sit on a waiting list for a couple of years. Pros and cons to every system though.

I have bought from many "one man band" operations in other spheres, this is by far the worst system I've ever seen for a product of the price.

To be clear I'm not saying Denis thought about this and is deliberately messing people around (far from it... anybody who cares that much about product quality would create a system like that knowingly) I'm just saying it is a huge oversight given how demand for the product has grown. As I alluded to in my previous post - while the product is "hot" you can get away with a purchasing experience like this but leave too many unsuccessful customers unhappy and they'll move onto the next "must have new toy".

A solution does not require an expensive e-commerce platform - as you state a waiting list is perfectly valid solution that is fair to those involved. If it takes 10 years for you to purchase an item you only have yourself to blame for not signing up sooner, not a completely random system that requires all the stars to align.

Spro === Compak E8 Redspeed / OE Pharos ---> The Rising Force Tamper ---> LR (IMS 35um + VST 18g) / Cafelat Robot Filter === OE Apex / OE Lido 3 ---> v60 (chemex papers) / Able brewing system / Aeropress Water === Osmio Zero

Just adding this here . . .

15bd8f20fa8ac37741b8f3c0b8b63809.jpg

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband / 

I must say that I’m a bit worried about all this fiasco in trying to purchase a Kafetek grinder.

I really want a flat, I’ve looked at all the options and have made my mind up that that’s the grinder I want.

I was intending to purchase one from this latest window but then got the email that only conicals and the max was being produced this time round. I’m disappointed, but with the frequency of pre-order windows coming up and the ever increasing difficulties of actually trying to get one ordered I’m worried that by the time I do actually manage to order one, I’ll be in my 60’s!

The thing is, if I experience too much of this nonsense then I’ll just think sod it and buy a EK instead...

ECM Synchronika, Niche Zero, Pullman Bigstep Tamper, ONA OCD Distribution Tool, Decent Funnel, VST 18g & 20g Ridgeless Baskets, Aeropress, Aergrind, Acme Cups, Acaia Lunar Scales, LW Bean Cellar & Caddy

The thing is, if I experience too much of this nonsense then I’ll just think sod it and buy a EK instead...

@Deeez Nuuutz

I have been pondering with the same dilemma, if you genuinely can't get a mono or be arsed trying to win the lotto that is the ordering system then we're are you left? What's the realistic alternative say for some who wanted the max and a conical from kafatek?

You can to the conclusion that these grinders were for you the best you could get and now you find out you got a snowballs of getting one never mind both.

If you look about there's not alot out there at this quality of build and in cup performance out there that's new if anything, which makes me think you are at the rock n hard place if they are your must have as there really isn't anything that's similar to them in footprint, quality etc.

,For me they are the goldilocks of grinders so I'm doomed to waiting for them.

They come up on H-B pretty often, there were 3 on there when I last looked, and no doubt there will be the odd one for sale here on the forum. It has only really been this last opening that has had this level of interest. I remember on one opening last year it took until the next day for them to all sell, and a few hours for them all to sell on another.

You can't always get what you want . . .

But if you try sometime you find

You get what you need.

If you look about there's not alot out there at this quality of build and in cup performance out there that's new if anything, which makes me think you are at the rock n hard place if they are your must have as there really isn't anything that's similar to them in footprint, quality etc.

That's the thing, getting something that is both top cup quality and counter friendly... An EK well aligned with SSP burrs would likely be indistinguishable in the cup (some might argue better owing to a narrower particle distribution owing to higher RPM) but it's having something like that in the kitchen! The compak r120 makes super tasty drinks too but that is even worse for form factor!

The only other real option I can think of is the EG-1 from Lyn Weber.

I think it will get easier though, the potential buyers of a $3k grinder are pretty small and Kafatek is only really talked about on forums... Plus there's bound to be something rivaling it or some research will be published that grinding with the burrs upside down set in jelly produces the best espresso grinds and everybody will flock to the new jelly grinders!

Spro === Compak E8 Redspeed / OE Pharos ---> The Rising Force Tamper ---> LR (IMS 35um + VST 18g) / Cafelat Robot Filter === OE Apex / OE Lido 3 ---> v60 (chemex papers) / Able brewing system / Aeropress Water === Osmio Zero

To be fair to Dennis (Kafatek) he does a good job for the grinder price in the USD terms. This is the taxes, shipping and the post-brexit exchange rate which makes the grinders so expensive in the UK. Re the ordering: if you start 5 min before "the time" and have a reliable internet connection, you have a very high change to put the grinder in the shopping basket. Remember to press (in Chrome) F5 or Shift-F5 to refresh the page while waiting for the sale to open. Then use Paypal (esp linked to your bank account, not the credit card) to pay the deposit - I have not heard about Paypal transactions been rejected.

Gaggia '06 Baby Class (Dimmer / pressure gauge, MrShades PID, IMS shower / brass holder), 18g VST + LevTamp

That's the thing, getting something that is both top cup quality and counter friendly... An EK well aligned with SSP burrs would likely be indistinguishable in the cup (some might argue better owing to a narrower particle distribution owing to higher RPM) but it's having something like that in the kitchen! The compak r120 makes super tasty drinks too but that is even worse for form factor!

The only other real option I can think of is the EG-1 from Lyn Weber.

I think it will get easier though, the potential buyers of a $3k grinder are pretty small and Kafatek is only really talked about on forums... Plus there's bound to be something rivaling it or some research will be published that grinding with the burrs upside down set in jelly produces the best espresso grinds and everybody will flock to the new jelly grinders!

Demand outstrips supply at the moment, I think the last lot totalled 50 grinders (not sure which types ). People wanna buy it worldwide so if he couldnt get at least 50 people interested then it wouldn't be viable.

The same frustration would appear to be surfacing on the Yank forums too. In the end there are plenty of other grinders that will make really tasty coffee.

They may not function exactly the same or be built to alignment within one atom, or have the noise around them of the Kateteks but ......

There will always be demand for something that people perceive as being the best (same in hi fi, cameras etc etc).

I am not aiming this at you, but sometimes this seems to stop people enjoying the end result of what they have and what it can do.

There are threads relating to the Kafekteks etc where people are convinced unless you have one of the Max's, that any light roasted coffee will be undrinkable.

Sometimes I think there is more difference in cups made and coffee experience as a result of the quality coffee used and the care put into preparing the basket than the actual grinder.

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram

rjw_inc

Demand outstrips supply at the moment, I think the last lot totalled 50 grinders (not sure which types ). People wanna buy it worldwide so if he couldnt get at least 50 people interested then it wouldn't be viable.

The same frustration would appear to be surfacing on the Yank forums too. In the end there are plenty of other grinders that will make really tasty coffee.

They may not function exactly the same or be built to alignment within one atom, or have the noise around them of the Kateteks but ......

There will always be demand for something that people perceive as being the best (same in hi fi, cameras etc etc).

I am not aiming this at you, but sometimes this seems to stop people enjoying the end result of what they have and what it can do.

There are threads relating to the Kafekteks etc where people are convinced unless you have one of the Max's, that any light roasted coffee will be undrinkable.

Sometimes I think there is more difference in cups made and coffee experience as a result of the quality coffee used and the care put into preparing the basket than the actual grinder.

Agreed that other things can make more of an impression (I'd add water quality to your list) in cup quality.

But if you're in the fortunate enough position to be able to spend upwards of $3k on a grinder equally you're right to have certain expectations and not compromise as much as you would at a lower price point. Some of these are not even related to coffee - it's just how it makes you feel. I've spent more a watch than I probably should have, it offers absolutely zero benefit compared to a more moderately priced time-piece but looking at it makes me smile.

I think the comments of those who are unhappy are being much maligned - I think the majority are not sour grapes about not getting a grinder, nobody has a right to own any piece of equipment (on the whole... admittedly there are some that appear to want Denis to near kill himself building grinders round the clock.) The way I see it the frustration is boiled down to 2 separate causes:

1) The pre-sale process used in the previous batch not being up to the job - Denis is free to do as he pleases and sell to who he likes, but he risks turning people away for life if something doesn't change (I have seen this story play out many many times). Maybe he is fine with this and only plans to build so many and then close up shop in which case there is no problem. If he wants to do this longer term it is good people are showing their frustration now (and based on the Kafatek forums something will change, everybody will have their view on what the best way to do it is but it should alleviate some of the problems with the last pre-sale).

2) The lack of viable alternatives - This is not a Kafatek issue at all. If you want big well aligned burrs in a package that doesn't take up the space of a commercial style grinder what are your choices? The top-end home barista market is hugely under-served currently (I keep hoping I'm wrong about this but so far nobody has been able to offer an alternative to a flat/max apart from an eg-1). Yes you can make good coffee on almost any piece of equipment these days but if you're willing/wanting to spend top dollar anything else is only ever going to be seen as a stop-gap... If you're looking to buy a ferrari somebody saying "the new fiesta drives great!", while true, doesn't really offer a viable alternate.

I don't see either of these frustrations as being particularly unreasonable.

At the end of the day this is an indulgence, when people voice "frustration" it is not real frustration - nobody is losing sleep over it (well maybe they are because of the caffeine, but that's a different story).

5f534c4702f9692d32939db6c9597ca3.jpg

Ready to go to some new lucky owners

Can’t wait to get mine... one day...

:)

• Like 1

ECM Synchronika, Niche Zero, Pullman Bigstep Tamper, ONA OCD Distribution Tool, Decent Funnel, VST 18g & 20g Ridgeless Baskets, Aeropress, Aergrind, Acme Cups, Acaia Lunar Scales, LW Bean Cellar & Caddy

Can’t wait to get mine... one day...

:)

I can post you one!

Ohhhh you didn’t mean a towel

Yes please, mine doesn't work properly... Oh you meant a towel ;)

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Great to know! Looking forward to receiving another one from Denis soon! :)

Kinu M47 Traveler, VST 18g Ridgeless Basket, Vesuvius, Osmio Zero, Acaia Lunar, Nanopresso, Hario Mini-Slim, Nespresso Pixie

I can post you one!

Ohhhh you didn’t mean a towel

I was under the impression that I wasn’t special enough to get one till I achieved my Monolith nirvana?! :)

Mind the gap 😯

2D4BED5F-1D57-4AB5-A3ED-BC248BFC2526.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Mind the gap 

2D4BED5F-1D57-4AB5-A3ED-BC248BFC2526.thumb.jpeg.66266ec87c774532768fbbf899676a17.jpeg
You manage to bag a max?

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Lelit Mara PL62 / HG-1 / Eazytamp / sweetcorn skewer / completely healthy relationship with coffee (and bank manager).

15 minutes ago, igm45 said:

You manage to bag a max?

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

I thought you'd never ask . . . 😁 

2 minutes ago, Chap-a-chino said:

Blooming heck - you kept that quiet!!!!!

I reckon the next Forum Day should be a Kafatek Grinder event round at yours MildredM!

Edited by Chap-a-chino
  • Haha 1