MildredM

Monolith Owners Division

Has anyone experimented with the grind speed? What is the theory behind it, - the slower the better?

I haven't done any methodical experimentation but I've fiddled about a bit and settled on 400rpm. With light hard beans, any slower seems to take forever to grind, and could even stall – less torque.

Londinium 1, Monolith Flat, Pharos, Lido 3, Chemex, V60, Ikawa Home Roaster, Atago Barista

A rule of thumb would seem to be that the slower the grinder speed, the finer you can grind.

Matt

Londinium 1, Monolith Flat, Pharos, Lido 3, Chemex, V60, Ikawa Home Roaster, Atago Barista

A rule of thumb would seem to be that the slower the grinder speed, the finer you can grind.

Matt

Whats the thinking behind this ? At some point the burrs touch, meaning you are as fine as you can go , irrelevant of speed ?

Or am I missing something ?

Or are you theorising that the slower speed allowed for a more even grind at the finer settings ? If so how are you measuring this ?

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Whats the thinking behind this ? At some point the burrs touch, meaning you are as fine as you can go , irrelevant of speed ?

Or are you theorising that the slower speed allowed for a more even grind at the finer settings ? If so how are you measuring this ?

Remember the single bean feeding post (for conicals) from @dsc https://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?44594-Calling-all-conic-users

Perhaps this is being applied to influence the thinking. I personally read this comment about speeds with interest and been moved to comment a few times and each time refrained. I have some views as to a flat burr grinders and burr speeds, but as I don't own a Monolith, felt I should keep my views to myself. What I think would be more interesting is of some testing was done at say 400, 600, 800, 1000 rpm (or whatever the max is) to factually check what if any differences there are in grind quality and taste. How it affects the shot, how it affects grind settings....is there a speed above which no changes are observed.

I guess it's something the owners might want to think about doing as it would benefit them all.

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

Actually, I was relying on some observations from Denis Basaric of KafaTec. “He “noticed that grinding speed affects particle size,” adding that “equal doses ground at a fixed setting yet different speeds will flow differently, with accompanying taste changes ensuing.” (Daily Coffee News) And ds on Home-Barista reported: “When I picked up my Monolith Flat Denis showed me an interesting way he uses this. To super fine tune the grind he adjusts the RPM of the motor, slower to make shot runs faster and faster RPM to make shot run slower.”

Matt

Actually, I was relying on some observations from Denis Basaric of KafaTec. “He “noticed that grinding speed affects particle size,” adding that “equal doses ground at a fixed setting yet different speeds will flow differently, with accompanying taste changes ensuing.” (Daily Coffee News) And ds on Home-Barista reported: “When I picked up my Monolith Flat Denis showed me an interesting way he uses this. To super fine tune the grind he adjusts the RPM of the motor, slower to make shot runs faster and faster RPM to make shot run slower.”

Matt

To me that's the exact opposite of the previous statement that a slower grind is finer. Am I missing something?

Laissez les bons temps rouler

To me that's the exact opposite of the previous statement that a slower grind is finer. Am I missing something?

The slower the speed the finer the marked setting to achieve equivalent particle size distribution.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

From the very limiting testing I've done on the ZR (71mm conic), it looked like faster speeds were producing coarser grinds when bean by bean dosing. This would then mean that in order to maintain the same flow one has to grind finer when the speed increases or go coarser when the speed drops. No idea how it works in a normal single dosing scenario, but will do some testing next week.

T.

Espresso: Londinium L1, ZR-71 grinder

Photography: Flickr

From the very limiting testing I've done on the ZR (71mm conic), it looked like faster speeds were producing coarser grinds when bean by bean dosing. This would then mean that in order to maintain the same flow one has to grind finer when the speed increases or go coarser when the speed drops. No idea how it works in a normal single dosing scenario, but will do some testing next week.

T.

The problem is the OP was referring to a flat burr Monolith....so it's not quite the same.

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

The problem is the OP was referring to a flat burr Monolith....so it's not quite the same.
I know, still it might generate some useful info for conic users, so worth doing :)

T.

Has anyone experimented with the grind speed? What is the theory behind it, - the slower the better?

I have experimented, yes, and found the sweet spot for mine is at 430. From recollection about 480 seemed to introduce a bitterness that I was pretty certain wasn’t there at 430. Over time I have upped and downed it but always end up back at 430. Not very scientific but I’m happy with the results :)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles  /  1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  /  Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1  /  Kalita wave  /  Stag kettle  /  OCD  /  Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer  /  gold B Plus stirrer  /  Push Tamper  /  Puqpress  /  15g & 18g vst  /  IMS 35μM  /  LDT  /  Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers  /  LW Bean Cellars & Caddy  /  Decent thermometer  /  Acme Evo 150ml cups  /  Espazzola  /  Hottop  /  Acme and Loveramics cups /  embroidered by me bar towels  /  coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  /  in the cellars: North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass  /  6 gorgeous guineas  /  a dog  /  a very lovely and understanding husband 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MildredsBarTowels

What was wrong below 430?

T.

What was wrong below 430?

T.

I seem to remember thinking the taste lacked that wow factor. Kind of flat (no pun intended).

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles  /  1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  /  Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1  /  Kalita wave  /  Stag kettle  /  OCD  /  Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer  /  gold B Plus stirrer  /  Push Tamper  /  Puqpress  /  15g & 18g vst  /  IMS 35μM  /  LDT  /  Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers  /  LW Bean Cellars & Caddy  /  Decent thermometer  /  Acme Evo 150ml cups  /  Espazzola  /  Hottop  /  Acme and Loveramics cups /  embroidered by me bar towels  /  coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  /  in the cellars: North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass  /  6 gorgeous guineas  /  a dog  /  a very lovely and understanding husband 

Pre orders for both will open on August 10th for delivery in October.

What's New? A lockless grind fineness adjustment system and all critical parts made in house have been announced in the pre order email release.

^^^

Upgrade?

"I like coffee because it gives me the illusion that I might just be awake."

^^^

Upgrade?

Haha! NO!!!

Haha! NO!!!

Not even the Max Flat?

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Not even the Max Flat?

Wrong colour :)

Wrong colour :)

So you've thought about it :rolleyes::whistle:

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Niche

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

So you've thought about it :rolleyes::whistle:

NO!! No I jolly well haven’t *

*might have, a bit

Sold out in about 3 minutes, I reckon! ;)

Londinium R v3 / Silvia / Mythos One CP / HG One / Feldgrind Mk2 / Baratza Vario / Dripster / IMS 18g VST / Londinium Tamper / Decent Espresso Baskets + Tamper / Acaia Scales / Forge / Foundry Roasts

Is it really such a massive bun fight to get on the list for a Monolith? I really want a grinder upgrade and the Kafatek grinders tick all the boxes but I'm terrible at waiting. I presume the next order window will be around January?

I'm torn between waiting for a Monolith and going for something available right now like a Compak E8 to at least get bigger burrs than my Mazzer Mini B. If it is good enough for Slayer to recommend then it can't be too shabby.

Nobody wanting to sell their current one to upgrade to a Max? :)

Londinium R and Kafatek MC3

Is it really such a massive bun fight to get on the list for a Monolith? I really want a grinder upgrade and the Kafatek grinders tick all the boxes but I'm terrible at waiting. I presume the next order window will be around January?

I'm torn between waiting for a Monolith and going for something available right now like a Compak E8 to at least get bigger burrs than my Mazzer Mini B. If it is good enough for Slayer to recommend then it can't be too shabby.

Nobody wanting to sell their current one to upgrade to a Max? :)

You know whats available right now? The Titus in the F/S section. Just sayin :whistle:

It is worth waiting for! Buy something to tide you over then offer it up for sale when your Monolith arrives. It would end up costing you maybe £200-£400 (edit: depending what you buy, of course. If it’s 2nd hand it may not even cost you that).