• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking at the project page, they've been very poor at communication and people are getting rather concerned. IT probably doesn't help that they're beginning to hound them via every social platform available.

I'm just starting to get a niggle of doubt...

Hope this is not a loss, if they have issues etc would be better to update us often really. Ever kickstarter or similar I have backed has never been delivered on time.

Posted a comment to on there about need to update.

Edited by lee1980

Doesn't exactly inspire confidence but if they've sold equity or something to make the product happen then at least they've done something other than folding when the financials went downhill. I guess this is an expected part of backing crowd funded products; something I've only ever done with this and the Niche grinder.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got an email from Voom. Probably the same on kickstarter too.

Dear Backers,

We're very sorry for the lack of communication in recent weeks. VOOM has been going through some rough patches in its development but we are hopeful to be back on track very soon.

What Happened?

We were very close to completion in the lead-up to our Kickstarter campaign's launch. We had working pre-production models and the software was very close to completion. We were sourcing suppliers for the final manufacturing mold back in November. Then, just as we were rolling, the main supplier for our core component- the sensor - told us that it was no longer available (they had previously promised that this instance was impossible). We were forced to find a new, different sensor and redo the structure of the enclosure. This also required us to redesign the board and the manufacturing mold. Chinese New Year came and slowed our progress even further by closing down most manufacturers for nearly a month.

In an attempt to stop the bleeding and to solve our problems as smoothly and quickly as possible, we have worked out a partnership with a major IoT manufacturer. These changes in our company's equity structure, management structure and the related legal processes have been a major adjustment for us but we are beginning to understand our new situation better now.

We are still in the process of restructuring VOOM but rest assured, it will retain the same features and design essence that we campaigned with. Now that things have settled slightly, we will be able to keep everyone more up-to-date with our development and ongoing status.

Thank you very much for your understanding and ongoing support as we continue to work to bring the product that we envisioned to reality.

- The VOOM team

So the main component suddenly became unavailable. Damn.

So that one component forced a compete internal redesign. Ouch.

Expect this means next year now or earliest end of this year, annoying as think that was £87 or so, could of got something else otherwise.

Now its wait or end up with 2 expensive scales!

• 2 months later...

Oh dear, it looks like Voom might be about to implode. Lots of backers are posting this:

I have not received my reward. Please refund the entirety of the $104 I pledged.

I invoke my rights under Kickstarter's Terms of Use:

https://www.kickstarter.com/terms-of-use/sept2014

I demand a full refund for my pledge amount.

I am Backer # 192

I must say, I wasn't aware that this was an option on KickStarter, I always thought of it as at my risk.

Voom and the scale is gone. ...

How I remember the advert with Barry Scott...It does clear lime scale, but sadly it's not, "bang and the scale is gone" but the rather less funny "bang and the dirt is gone".

Nothing here...

Not very promising.

Hopefully if they are to return money to any backer they have to return it to all backers pro rata. Otherwise it just goes to those who are first to jump at a sign of trouble, leaving everyone else high and dry. I haven't read the detail on this but if it went first to those who made the demands then that would be a worrying aspect of crowd funding in general.

Oh dear, it looks like Voom might be about to implode. Lots of backers are posting this:

I have not received my reward. Please refund the entirety of the $104 I pledged.

I invoke my rights under Kickstarter's Terms of Use:

https://www.kickstarter.com/terms-of-use/sept2014

I demand a full refund for my pledge amount.

I am Backer # 192

I must say, I wasn't aware that this was an option on KickStarter, I always thought of it as at my risk.

you see this on many of the projects that are heavily delayed or end up in the shitter.

It has about as much credibility as sharing a a 'fact' on facebook without checking it's authenticity. Creators have absolutely zero responsibility under KS terms to refund anyone - the only recourse for backers is if the creators have mis used the money and are therefore criminally liable, and then its a police matter - and the police will ignore it unless it is enormous amounts of money.

From KS t&c's linked to in that persons comment:

-Kickstarter doesn’t offer refunds. Responsibility for finishing a project lies entirely with the project creator. Kickstarter doesn’t hold funds on creators’ behalf, cannot guarantee creators’ work, and does not offer refunds.

These are the terms that apply when you’re creating a project:

-You can refund individual pledges if you want. After your project has been funded, you can cancel and refund a backer’s pledge at any time. If you do, you have no further obligation to that specific backer, and no agreement exists between you.

you see this on many of the projects that are heavily delayed or end up in the shitter.

It has about as much credibility as sharing a a 'fact' on facebook without checking it's authenticity. Creators have absolutely zero responsibility under KS terms to refund anyone - the only recourse for backers is if the creators have mis used the money and are therefore criminally liable, and then its a police matter - and the police will ignore it unless it is enormous amounts of money.

From KS t&c's linked to in that persons comment:

Thanks, oddly enough I’m glad to hear it.

Sadly, I have concluded that they have effectively ceased training in light of no further updates since mid-April, despite the promise of more frequent updates. I've just submitted a claim through my credit card company for this. Has anyone else done the same or contemplating it?