Julian87

Tea selling UK regulations

I'm new to the forum, and I apologize if this has been asked a thousand times, but perhaps you guys can help me get a few things clear or point me to the right place,

We want to purchase wholesale tea from a UK supplier, ready bagged, and repackage it under our name for resale, do we need to obtain any kind of food hygiene certifications before we start? I asked around and have been told as long as we don't handle the bagging ourselves, nothing is required.

Also, we found a couple of suppliers here in UK that we're looking to purchase a few samples from, but if anyone could make any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

thank you

I would suggest you contact your local council, the environmental health department, and ask them to clarify the requirements. Then contact Trading Standards and check with them. Anything sold by weight is likely to require some kind of involvement with them, I would think.

An appropriate Food Hygiene course covers food handlin and storage procedures and is useful in any area of food handling. It is interesting and informative!

You will also need Piblic Liability insurance, I would think.

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

I've got a great contact who will be able to help you get started and will send their details through via PM.

Are you thinking mail order or physical sales?

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

Thank you both for your help, I will contact all the above bodies to ensure I'm covered.

We are looking to create a brand of detox/cleansing tea, we're already nearly finished with designing the packaging and have already spoken with a supplier who supplies custom blends.

We will include milk thistle , dandelion root and lemongrass in the recipe due to their cleansing properties.

The supplier we contacted is Adagio, their teas though are a little expensive and their minimum wholesale purchase is 1 KG, which is a little too much to start with and is supplied loose.

The TeaPeople also supply wholesale, would look at those nut their offer is more limited

I will get in touch with your contact, Glenn, I looked them up online, I'm wondering if he could help me with getting a few things right such as

Blending the right ingredients ( some detox teas taste awful ) and finding a packaging supplier.

Marketing and eCommerce I can do myself, I need to get the product just right.

Thanks again and if you wish, I'll keep you guys posted.

Thank you both for your help, I will contact all the above bodies to ensure I'm covered.

We are looking to create a brand of detox/cleansing tea, we're already nearly finished with designing the packaging and have already spoken with a supplier who supplies custom blends.

We will include milk thistle , dandelion root and lemongrass in the recipe due to their cleansing properties.

The supplier we contacted is Adagio, their teas though are a little expensive and their minimum wholesale purchase is 1 KG, which is a little too much to start with and is supplied loose.

The TeaPeople also supply wholesale, would look at those nut their offer is more limited

I will get in touch with your contact, Glenn, I looked them up online, I'm wondering if he could help me with getting a few things right such as

Blending the right ingredients ( some detox teas taste awful ) and finding a packaging supplier.

Marketing and eCommerce I can do myself, I need to get the product just right.

Thanks again and if you wish, I'll keep you guys posted.

Not wishing to rock the boat here, but if you want to get the product right don't sell a detox tea.

At best detoxing is pseudoscience, at worst downright dangerous to be promoting as in any way healthy.

Sage Duo Temp Pro and Mazzer Super Jolly (Doserless Mod) | Espresso Addict!

I've got a great contact who will be able to help you get started and will send their details through via PM.

Jumping on the back of this to avoid starting a new thread. I'd appreciate your contact info, Glenn. My husband and I are also looking into a tea ecommerce company, different to what you're looking at Julian87 with the detox. I'm also struggling to find much sound information on regulations if you're re-packaging. Did you find any information out about that?

Hi Glenn, I'm creating a brand of luxury loose leaf teas to sell online. Would love to have the details of your contact, if they don't mind having a chat with me.

Thanks

Sam

@Glenn ^^

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

Drop me a PM with a number to call you on :)

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

Hi Glenn, I'm creating a brand of luxury loose leaf teas to sell online. Would love to have the details of your contact, if they don't mind having a chat with me.

Thanks

Sam

I am also in same boat, planning to import tea from Nepal, and repacking and resale over here. I found NepalÂ’s tea (next to Darjeeling region) one of the best tea I have ever tasted. I am wondering how the regulations is working over here in UK. Can anybody have more ideas from scratch to set up the warehouse. Appreciate your help.

I can be reach on [email protected] or 07534086859 on mobile/whatsapp.

I am in the process of starting a tea business too. Would it be possible to send through the details to me also? We are not repacking but will be blending and packaging ourselves. I'd be grateful for any help!

How many of you started tea businesses in the end? I'm asking as I'm looking into suppliers for a tea house.

Hi there ,

Looking to create a wild herb tea, any contacts related to packing assistance, I have the supplier of bulk herbs sorted, I could just use some useful tea packaging companies if anyone has any recommendations, also did anyone find out the regulatory side of your business to be shipping world wide, established in the UK?

Regards,

Liam

Good afternoon,

I am in the process of creating my own tea blends.

I am using TeaPeople as the tea supplier and am designing the packaging.

I have a registered company and in the process of opening a business account. 

However what is required from me legally to be able to resell the tea with my own packaging?

Really would appreciate the help as I can not seem to find any definite answer online.

Thanks

Francesca