anton78

SOLD: Rocket R58 (2014) - £950 Nottingham

After moving to a lever machine, I've been told I have to sell this beautiful beast that is admittedly sitting unused in my spare room. I won't go into masses of detail as the machine pretty much speaks for itself. Bought new from BB in October 2014. Used pretty much daily from then up until this March - 4-5 coffees per day. Still in very good nick - no obvious scratches and it's only been fed Ashbeck so the insides should be right.

In the interest of full disclosure, sometimes when I used a timer to heat it up in the mornings, it wouldn't get to full temp - the group head was just warm, not hot. This was solved in less than 2 minutes by running a bit of water through the grouphead, so never caused me any issues. Otherwise, it's good as gold.

Comes with all the bits and bobs they normally come with - single, double and blank basket and single and double portafilter, along with the PID thingy to change steam/water temp etc. There's two steam tips - small holes and big holes (I always found the small one best). Changed the gasket last year for the cafelat silicone one, but they're cheap as chips anyway.

I'll also chuck in a Rancilio naked portafilter, which fits it nicely, and a Made By Knock tamper, as I seem to have misplaced the plastic tamper it came with...

I'd strongly suggest coming to give it a look (NG4). Failing that I will travel a reasonable distance to do a service station swap or similar. I'm not going to post it, it's just too heavy.

Cost £1700 new, they're £1850 now, so I reckon £950 is a pretty fair price.

Any questions are more than welcome.

Cheers

Anton

Also, if anyone knows how to rotate the pics then that'd be appreciated :D

Rocket2.jpg

Rocket3.jpg

Rocket1.jpg

Edited by The Systemic Kid

Rocket R58, Behmor Brazen, Compak R120. Understanding wife.

Hi there,

Are there any better pics showing the condition? I'm struggling to gauge the condition.

After a Rocket and Grinder in very good condition to satisfy the Wife.

What's the issue with the Group Head not heating up is this a common fault?

Very interested and just live in Chesterfield so could collect.

Edited by The Asgard

Rocket R58 V2, Mazzer Royal ( Ti Burrs ), 6 Cup Chemex, Ceramic 02 V60, 6 Cup Venus Moka,  Aeropress, Bonavita Drip Scales & Temp Controlled Goose Neck Kettle. ** Kinu M47 Wanted **

How far would you be willing to travel to meet for sale?

Sage Duo Temp Pro and Mazzer Super Jolly (Doserless Mod) | Espresso Addict!

How far would you be willing to travel to meet for sale?

Around an hour from nottingham. Where are you?

Hi there,

Are there any better pics showing the condition? I'm struggling to gauge the condition.

I'll pop some more pics on later.

Re the group head I did see it mentioned on another thread and nobody really got to the bottom of it. Didn't happen often enough for me to get annoyed by it as it was an easy fix to flush a bit of water through. I'll see if I can find any more info though.

Hi there,

I'll pop some more pics on later.

Re the group head I did see it mentioned on another thread and nobody really got to the bottom of it. Didn't happen often enough for me to get annoyed by it as it was an easy fix to flush a bit of water through. I'll see if I can find any more info though.

Welcome to come and have a play if you want.

Hi there,

Some pictures showing any wear and tear would be great. Does it come with all the paper work, receipt, manual...

Rocket R58 V2, Mazzer Royal ( Ti Burrs ), 6 Cup Chemex, Ceramic 02 V60, 6 Cup Venus Moka,  Aeropress, Bonavita Drip Scales & Temp Controlled Goose Neck Kettle. ** Kinu M47 Wanted **

Hi there,

Some pictures showing any wear and tear would be great. Does it come with all the paper work, receipt, manual...

I've got an electronic receipt from BB I can give you. Still got the manual.

Hi,

I'm also very interested in this. I could meet you somewhere south of Nottingham on the M1 if you were willing to do that (I'd be coming from south of Northampton).

Is your heating up issue a fault or a limitation of the machine (eg it just takes long time)? Being a novice and a local to them I would probably take it to Bella Barista for a service/check over. Does it need new seals etc?

Thanks,

Luke

Hi,

I'm also very interested in this. I could meet you somewhere south of Nottingham on the M1 if you were willing to do that (I'd be coming from south of Northampton).

Is your heating up issue a fault or a limitation of the machine (eg it just takes long time)? Being a novice and a local to them I would probably take it to Bella Barista for a service/check over. Does it need new seals etc?

Thanks,

Luke

Hi Luke,

I'd happily drive to somewhere south of Nottingham on the M1, yes.

In terms of the heating issue, most of the time it heats up normally (20mins), it's just the odd one that doesn't. What's causing it I don't know, and I'm not technically minded enough to open the machine up and have a look. If it happened every time I would've but I wasn't expecting to sell the machine so never really got round to looking into it and just flushed the water through. My fault, I guess. It may be something as simple as a bit of water getting stuck and stopping it heating up properly, but my physics isn't good enough to explain that either! It's had no effect on the quality of the coffee though, I can assure you of that.

If you do buy it, and take it to BB, and it turns out there is something wrong that's causing it, I'd certainly cover that part of it. The only thing I've changed is the grouphead seal - that could potentially do with replacing but BB sell them for about a fiver.

to the seller, If it's helpful, I can comment on the likely causes of the group not heating up as I tested this machine (not the one your selling)...and as usual came up with recommendations for Rocket.

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

to the seller, If it's helpful, I can comment on the likely causes of the group not heating up as I tested this machine (not the one your selling)...and as usual came up with recommendations for Rocket.

That would certainly be helpful, thanks.

Ditto for me too

When they first made the Rocket I noticed that rather than take the brew water from the bottom and top thirds of the boiler via output pipes, they preferred to take it from the bottom and top. I also noticed the boiler was inclined, my guess as to the reason for an inclined boiler wasn't to make it fit, but because any lowering of water level would cause the thermosyphon to stall and the group go cold (as in Expobar Dual boiler machines, for exactly the same reason). Inclining the boiler does not make this happen for very small amounts of water loss creating head space.

Fill a fizzy drinks bottle imagine a tube going into the water at the top, then incline it...remove water and incline it again and you will see what I mean, you can have some limited headspace, without thermosyphon stall. The Duetto I did the top level design for, and any other machine where I have helped with the design does not do this. Simply because the water pipes for the boiler come out in the top and lower thirds of the boiler. you would have to loose a hell of a lot of water to cause a thermpsyphon stall....so much so it would be obvious.

With this machine (which seems a great price), either it's tilted to some severe angle by a wonky counter that it's defeated Rockets efforts, or more likely there is a small leak in the sealed brew circuit. e.g. top group valve, perhaps the pump, any one way valve. it sound like it's so small as to be unnoticeable. It would be cheap and easy to fix, fault finding could initially start by replacing the top group valve or seal....and inexpensive part, it it's the seal it's a penny part. These seals harden over time in any machine.

It sound like it's at the point where it's probably not worth bothering to fix just yet and will only materialise when the mmachine is left on, hot and standing for long periods of time between shots. Flushing of course fixes it, because the boiler then refills with water and any headspace disappears.

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Thanks Dave, that's incredibly helpful.

I'll post some more pics when I get in people.

Very useful info - thanks Dave. Is there a set of instructions or a schematic on here for a service of these machines to replace all the seals and other parts that you'd realistically expect to wear out in 3 years use? It's commonly commented on that it's quite straightforward (and I'm reasonably mechanically minded) but I haven't owned one before and would want to follow correct procedure.

Anton I will mull over and get back to you. Certainly interested. But I know others are too and were ahead of me in responding.

Luke

I've had a look in the instructions and there's nothing of value there. It does come with a DVD explaining how to make coffee though, so feel free to increase the price by whatever that's worth.

One thing I forgot to mention - this can be plumbed in or tank fed. I've always tank fed it but do have the required cables for plumbing it.

Just talked to BB and they said it would cost between 100-200 pounds to do a service. This should cover the cost of sorting the issue out, assuming it's nothing too serious.

If the machine is in very good condition. I would be prepared to go half with the service cost and could collect?

Around an hour from nottingham. Where are you?

Great, I could meet you in Stoke or somewhere along the A50, or if you're willing to wait I'll be in Loughborough the end of September (29th/30th) and happy to view before collecting if you're happy to wait?

I won't make an offer until you confirm what you'd prefer.

Sage Duo Temp Pro and Mazzer Super Jolly (Doserless Mod) | Espresso Addict!

Hi Anton,

I might be too late but if my offer is of interest I'd take it for £900. I'd like to withold £100 subject to BB confirming nothing beyond the normal service parts is required for the heating up issue. I'd pay for the service. I'd be looking to meet somewhere on or near the M1, ideally not too far north of Leicester.

Hope you don't see this as a derogatory offer - really what I'm trying to achieve for myself is to avoid spending more than the price of a new Appartamento which I'm sure would do me well anyway.

Thanks,

Luke

First up, thanks everyone for your interest. Here's the photos - it turns out it's hard to take photos of it because it's so damn reflective. Anyway:

Front.jpg

The front. Good, not immaculate, because it's 3 years old. No scratches.

LH.jpg

Left hand side and a bit of front. No scratches.

Back (2).jpg

Back.

RH.jpg

Right hand side. There's actually a very small scratch on this panel but I can't get it to show on my camera.You have to look hard to find it. The thing that looks like a scratch is a wire in the background!

Top (2).jpg

Top. The usual marks from having cups on there.

Re the offers - I'm trying to pick the bones out of who's offered what but my whole family's just descended. I'll get back to you ASAP (sorry!). If the pics help make up your mind feel free to update.

A

Looks good, my offer stands, could collect Sunday.

Right, sorry about that. I'm going to accept Asgard's offer. Looking at the two offers made they were pretty similar, and Asgard got in there first. Thanks for your interest Luke - hope you find a suitable alternative.

Move to PM, can someone mark as sold (and cheers for rotating the original pics - I worked it out for the 2nd bunch!)

A

Moved to sold at Anton78's request. Congratulations seller and purchaser!

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione v2, Eureka Zenith 65E, Niche grinder, Pharos grinder with VoodooDaddy mods, Eureka MDL, Torr Goldfinger, Smart Tamp. Various coffee stuff.

• About:

Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 22000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

New Members:

We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Terms of Use

Advertising

Coffee Forums Media Kit

Buy Advertising Space

Donate

Get Your Supporter Badge (per year)