igm45

Bulk buy - Coffee Beans

That was the reason I originally got into DSOL. Then gradually realised I preferred medium, and got progressively lighter, so I'm in LSOL. Great to see what others make of the same (mystery) coffee.

If this scheme is to be neither dark nor light and you never know what is coming, could I suggest you call it RSOL (Random Side of Life)?

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

This sounds like a nightmare logistically. You would contact each roaster before voting and tell them they might get picked? Otherwise you'd have to assume they'd be willing to play ball? Would people still buy in if their choice didn't win overall?

I can't help but feel this would tread on the toes of LSOL, but maybe everyone is ready for something new? LSOL is certainly much more work now than it used to be. Perhaps a new format is needed.

If LSOL lost even some of its subscribers, the prices would have to go up a fair bit unfortunately and it might become untenable.

tread on the toes of LSOL

I wonder if there would be any interest in a GSOL (green) not that I could organize it but I could subscribe.

Subjectivity is a central philosophical concept, related to consciousness, agency, personhood, amount spent, reality and truth which has been defined by various sources.

This sounds like a nightmare logistically. You would contact each roaster before voting and tell them they might get picked? Otherwise you'd have to assume they'd be willing to play ball? Would people still buy in if their choice didn't win overall?

I can't help but feel this would tread on the toes of LSOL, but maybe everyone is ready for something new? LSOL is certainly much more work now than it used to be. Perhaps a new format is needed.

If LSOL lost even some of its subscribers, the prices would have to go up a fair bit unfortunately and it might become untenable.

Hi mate,

Thanks for posting, I have been considering the logistics re 3 choices and agree it would need very careful consideration on how best to proceed.

My initial thoughts were suggest 3 roasters, get votes in, find out the minimum order for wholesale prices and only proceed if I get sufficient interest.

I started this thread for discussion, the very reason for this is that I did not want to tread on the toes of your LSOL hard work.

The format would be different to LSOL, the reason I have considered this route is to capture those smaller roasters that are more centre of the road (medium profile), Crankhouse, Django etc partly because this is where I find I enjoy coffee the most.

I will give it some further thought before I proceed as I think the LSOL is a fantastic scheme and the last thing I want to do is contribute to its demise in any way shape or form.

10mm

Ve ve suvivius.... /E37s/ Eazytamp / tupperware pot / completely healthy relationship with coffee (and bank manager).

I'm up for this. I wonder if we could get Reiss at Londinium on board?

Londinium L1 Luxe - Compak E10 - Macap M7 - Brita Aquaquell - Torr Trapez Tamper - IMS Shower screen - IMS & VST baskets

Hi mate,

Thanks for posting, I have been considering the logistics re 3 choices and agree it would need very careful consideration on how best to proceed.

My initial thoughts were suggest 3 roasters, get votes in, find out the minimum order for wholesale prices and only proceed if I get sufficient interest.

I started this thread for discussion, the very reason for this is that I did not want to tread on the toes of your LSOL hard work.

The format would be different to LSOL, the reason I have considered this route is to capture those smaller roasters that are more centre of the road (medium profile), Crankhouse, Django etc partly because this is where I find I enjoy coffee the most.

I will give it some further thought before I proceed as I think the LSOL is a fantastic scheme and the last thing I want to do is contribute to its demise in any way shape or form.

10mm

Perhaps this could be used as an opportunity to try roasters from abroad. The advantage of a bulk buy is that we could share the cost of shipping. There are so many roasters from Europe and further a field I'd love to try but shipping costs puts me off.

Perhaps this could be used as an opportunity to try roasters from abroad. The advantage of a bulk buy is that we could share the cost of shipping. There are so many roasters from Europe and further a field I'd love to try but shipping costs puts me off.
This is a great idea in theory, in reality it means that it all gets shipped to one person (most likely me) and then it is that individuals responsibility to package and ship 20+ parcels and that is more work than I have time for I'm afraid.

Of course if there is another volunteer...

Ve ve suvivius.... /E37s/ Eazytamp / tupperware pot / completely healthy relationship with coffee (and bank manager).

I have been mulling this over, here is an idea for all.

Blends, LSOL tends to be single origin. If we go for blends then it won't be treading on their toes.

Thoughts?

I have been mulling this over, here is an idea for all.

Blends, LSOL tends to be single origin. If we go for blends then it won't be treading on their toes.

Thoughts?

Will limit it to espresso though potentially ?

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Will limit it to espresso though potentially ?
Fair point, well presented.

Fair point, well presented.

This may not matter... you can still brew blends, they may just not be optimal for that use. People interested may just want it for espresso .

Honestly I'll go back to my original point , is the primary factor to get been cheaper ? or to just enjoy coffee and taste it together ?

If cheaper then You would probably need 20kg to get even some sort of discount, and that would need to be one bean of not a mix of green , dark light whatever. Re discount it's hard for roaster to post to x number of individual addresses, postage costs and the less you spend per kg the less likelihood of getting something great to try...

Hard one , I'm not sure you have the numbers for 20 kg at the mo , but you may have talked to roasters who are happy to do less ( 10kg ? ) .

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

This may not matter... you can still brew blends, they may just not be optimal for that use. People interested may just want it for espresso .

Honestly I'll go back to my original point , is the primary factor to get been cheaper ? or to just enjoy coffee and taste it together ?

If cheaper then You would probably need 20kg to get even some sort of discount, and that would need to be one bean of not a mix of green , dark light whatever. Re discount it's hard for roaster to post to x number of individual addresses, postage costs and the less you spend per kg the less likelihood of getting something great to try...

Hard one , I'm not sure you have the numbers for 20 kg at the mo , but you may have talked to roasters who are happy to do less ( 10kg ? ) .

As usual you raise a series of valid points.

The idea is a little of colum A and a little of column B. It would be nice to unlock bulk buys from desirable roasters for us all to enjoy together. Regarding quantities as part of the decaf/DSOL enquiries I have spoken with several roasters and bulk buys seem to be opened between 10 and 15 kilos, especially when you pitch the brand exposure.

I agree that it is a tricky one, and concede I'm unlikely to get the demand required, just throwing ideas around a bit.

• About:

Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 22000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

New Members:

We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Terms of Use

Advertising

Coffee Forums Media Kit

Buy Advertising Space

Donate

Get Your Supporter Badge (per year)