IGNORED

question for the Apple users

NickdeBug

Once saw a Macbook for sale on fleabay and it had a USA keyboard. The return key was bigger and was better laid out. The @ key is still in the same place, but you seen get used to it..

mac_keyboard_differences.jpg

I'm typing this out on my Mac Pro, usually I am on a Windows Vista laptop. Actually prefer the Mac as the keys work different as well. For eg, the 'a' key, if you hold it down they get 8 options. (à á â ä æ ã å ā), do that on a PC and you'll get aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.. You can spell latté easier on a Mac :rolleyes:

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Customised Mazzer Major + Niche

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Actually prefer the Mac as the keys work different as well. For eg, the 'a' key, if you hold it down they get 8 options. (à á â ä æ ã å ā), do that on a PC and you'll get aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.. You can spell latté easier on a Mac :rolleyes:

This is not unrelated to the fact that Macs have been the weapon of choice of the creative industry since PCs were running DOS. Designers and typesetters need quick ways to access alternate characters. Also the character composition is more intuitive: want an ü? Alt-u, u. Or an á? Alt-e, a. All that alt-0123 nonsense that you used to have to do on Windows, with a Post-It note on the side of your screen telling you which random 4-digit code related to which character! (I assume Windows has addressed this by now, what with globalisation, the EU...)!

Oh yes. I remember my first PC at work (one per department, not per person!). A Tulip. 80286 processor with DOS and no hard disk! 2 x 5.25" floppy drives, one for the software and one for your files! Before that it was a VT dumb terminal green screen hooked up via 'the Ring' ( I think that was what we called our LAN as there was no WAN) to a VAX mainframe. Not a huge vacuum cleaner!

I had a few computers when I was at college. My main one being a 386! Not only that, it had a TURBO button :rolleyes: I had to remove every programme off it to run a word processor (8 MB of RAM and 33Mhz). I also had a great game I used to play on it, called Mystic Towers. It ran off DOS. I had Windows 3.1 and a Win 95 emulator on it. Remember having to type WIN at the C prompt?

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Customised Mazzer Major + Niche

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

well, I've tried.

Gave it two weeks to see if I can get used to the peculiarities of MacWorld.

In 30+ years of using computers I would say that for irritation level this ranks right up there with typing pages of text from Sinclair User magazine into my ZX81 only for the 16k ram pack to pick up the tremor from a fly hitting the window and reset everything.

Nothing is where I want it to be. There is no sensible way of changing settings. The toolbar (or whatever Apple choose to call it) comes and goes seemingly at random and it is a bit like "whack the mole" in terms of getting your cursor on it before it disappears, and oh yes - it has just taken me three goes to type the speech marks in the preceding part of this sentence.

I am not apple-phobic in any way, I use an iPad and have just upgraded my iPhone SE to a new 7, but I really do not get on with the MacBook Air.

One annoying feature, which I am sure is a bonus to many users, is that my work use has now infiltrated my home use. I was quite happy using my iPad and iPhone for my own needs and keeping work contained on my laptop. Now there is no division and I don't like that at all.

Heading over to my head office next week so have already told them that it will be coming back. I would rather use the breeze-block sized Dell and pay my physio bills.

Edited by NickdeBug

Hmmm, did you try the search icon, top right? It's one of the best things in MacOS and will find preferences, settings, emails you didn;t know still existed on the machine etc. etc.

The dock can be made to stay put. You tried right clicking things, just like windows?

well, I've tried.

Gave it two weeks to see if I can get used to the peculiarities of MacWorld.

In 30+ years of using computers I would say that for irritation level this ranks right up there with typing pages of text from Sinclair User magazine into my ZX81 only for the 16k ram pack to pick up the tremor from a fly hitting the window and reset everything.

Nothing is where I want it to be. There is no sensible way of changing settings. The toolbar (or whatever Apple choose to call it) comes and goes seemingly at random and it is a bit like "whack the mole" in terms of getting your cursor on it before it disappears, and oh yes - it has just taken me three goes to type the speech marks in the preceding part of this sentence.

I am not apple-phobic in any way, I use an iPad and have just upgraded my iPhone SE to a new 7, but I really do not get on with the MacBook Air.

One annoying feature, which I am sure is a bonus to many users, is that my work use has now infiltrated my home use. I was quite happy using my iPad and iPhone for my own needs and keeping work contained on my laptop. Now there is no division and I don't like that at all.

Heading over to my head office next week so have already told them that it will be coming back. I would rather use the breeze-block sized Dell and pay my physio bills.

Oh heck! I don't 'like' this! I recall being pretty much unliveable with when I made the switch 10 odd years ago. I couldn't make head nor tail of things and had to sit at it for about a week, morning, noon and night, until I'd grasped it. I don't think I ate properly, cleaned the house, and obviously didn't go to work. I love it now and can't make head nor tail of Ian's Windows (box - a great thick chunk of machine!) these days!

If it is for work I wouldn't have the time or patience myself, I don't blame you wanting your Dell back!

I'm a little late to this party...... I know I shouldn't laugh....... but forgive me, I did.

It doesn't address the keyboard and shortcut differences but for years I have used Parallels to provide me with the ability to switch seamlessly and file share, between Mac os and Windows os.

That way I get to use fully functioning native Windows Excel, including VBA, and any other Windows applications on Mac.

The best of both worlds in my humble. ( Does require a Windows OS of course)

It doesn't address the keyboard

Oh heck! I don't 'like' this! I recall being pretty much unliveable with when I made the switch 10 odd years ago. I couldn't make head nor tail of things and had to sit at it for about a week, morning, noon and night, until I'd grasped it. I don't think I ate properly, cleaned the house, and obviously didn't go to work. I love it now and can't make head nor tail of Ian's Windows (box - a great thick chunk of machine!) these days!

If it is for work I wouldn't have the time or patience myself, I don't blame you wanting your Dell back!

I once made the mistake of clicking YES when my laptop gave me the option of upgrading my Office to 2008. This was the first introduction of the Ribbon feature and basically meant that everything you knew had been changed and all the useful stuff removed completely. My foolhardiness in accepting was made worse by doing so the day before a big presentation was due (can't remember what it was now, but at time it was life or death!). What would normally have taken me 3-4 hours ended up being an all-nighter and I have vague recollections of driving back from the meeting on the M4 the following day feeling like I was drunk I was so tired. So basically Microsoft tried to kill me! (maybe a tad melodramatic)

Today has been a similar day.

I have been away in Poland since Sunday and only got home late yesterday. I had soooo much work to get done today and I reckon I have managed about 20% of it. The other 80% has been spent swearing at the MacBook, contemplating its elaborate destruction (a master plan involving waiting for a tractor to pass by the next door field), and generally being so pissed off that I have now had to offer to take my lovely missus out for supper on Friday to make up for being such a moody git all day. Something as simple as setting up the wireless connection of a printer (which took me about 2 minutes on a PC) has taken me about 2 hours, and the scanner still won't work.

I don't 'hate' many things in this world. Maybe just: being told what I should think, Marmite and my step-mother. Everything else like soccer, goat's cheese and silly beards just get lumped into 'things I dislike, so avoid'. MacBook Airs only need to do one more thing to annoy me and they will be make the top list!