IGNORED

ECM Mechanika portafilter spout

I recently bought a new ECM Mechanika IV and in the process of cleaning I removed the portafilter spout. It unscrewed quite easily, but when I try and put it back, it screws past the point where I would think it would stop and therefore results in the spout facing backward. I reached out to ECM and they mentioned that the spout isn't supposed to be removed and I should glue it back on. Has anyone else experienced this? What glue have you used to glue it back on? Thank you

Nick

I recently bought a new ECM Mechanika IV and in the process of cleaning I removed the portafilter spout. It unscrewed quite easily, but when I try and put it back, it screws past the point where I would think it would stop and therefore results in the spout facing backward. I reached out to ECM and they mentioned that the spout isn't supposed to be removed and I should glue it back on. Has anyone else experienced this? What glue have you used to glue it back on? Thank you

Nick

Yes, they are right.

The manufacturers usually screw the spout in and glue it in the right position. Sometimes they put so much glue that it is virtually impossible to unscrew it!

Few options:

- Glue it back (I'm unsure what type of glue you should use it).

- Remove the spout all together. Sometimes this is known as "Poor man's naked portafilter :-))

- Put some teflon tape or some other type of stuff around the thread so at least you can position the spout where you want and they should not move about easily.

To clean it, soak it in Puly Caf or some other espresso machine detergent. There is no need to remove the spouts.

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

• 2 years later...

I did the same with my previous machine. A few discreet turns of PTFE tape on the thread tightens things nicely enough to allow exact positioning.

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________