IGNORED

Brown bear

Apatche64

Just ordered a bag of decaf to try.. Website doesn't give their address/location, just general stuff. Could be one of those that repackages beans from a bigger source?

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Customised Mazzer Major + Niche

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

I've just received my bag of decaf, and it's ok. Doesn't give a roast date, just a best by date (Dec!). No details of the roaster. I haven't properly dialled it in, just tried test shot for approx grind. I think it will be nice in milk as I prefer lighter roasts as espresso.

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

I had a Brown Bear coffee recently...

This one was in the Pyrenees last month.b12f1c1e8587f1ca86c14245379cc00d.jpg

You can get it in the Amazon as well...

Sorry, that should be 'you can get it on Amazon' lol

Just tried these & when I paid it came up as Guy Wilmot Consulting, so after a bit of digging he's a trader for Blue Mountain Coffee Jamaica. Their site lists the producers & farms.

http://www.bluemountaincoffeejamaica.com

Worth a go anyway!

This is the same guy behind decadent decaf. Brown bear don't roast themeslves so it could be coffee compass again.

Ok. My coffee has arrived. I'll brew it Monday with some friends.

I am debating whether to do it as my 12 roasters challenge.

I really am not posting this to piss anyone off.

If you order coffee from here and you like it that's all that counts.

If you are thinking of ordering it here is worth noting what you get for your 2.50.. I can see why some people might want to. There are two good recommendations on here currently and it's cheap. That's fair enough.

Coffee of non specific origin, not roasted by brown bear but an other roaster. What I got was a coffee with a best before date of of December. Shipped from storage site in Heanor somewhere ( this is on a label on the box). Brown bear is register company in London.

None of there steps are any different to what coffee goes through from any other company but perhaps they are overviewed by one person or persons for qc at a roasters? Perhaps not. Perhaps I just buy the story of a roaster more. Again all that counts us to whoever that buys it, is it drinkable

This is what I'll touch on in my 12 roasters thread I think.

Even sold as loss leader thats a fair chunk of external costs to carry for coffee at 2.50

So buy, try, enjoy. Be aware of what your money gets you.

Like alot of things in modern life there is the marketing bullshit to wade through by lots of coffee people. People in all. Companies create a narrative and back story, some is more accurate than others and words like artisan and hand roasted are bug bears of mine.

When I've given the coffee a fair chance and tasted by people who aren't aware of. The Info I've posted I'll comment on quality and taste.

Edited by Mrboots2u

• 3 weeks later...

My Brown Bear decaf is on my compost heap..

• 4 years later...
9 hours ago, Coffer said:

if they're a decent value option for freshly roasted coffee? 

Its only good value if the beans are to your taste! So, the only person who can assert that is you. 👍

I never heard of or ordered from them. 

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group