IGNORED

Niche Grinder?

I'll be honest, at the price, I'm not too concerned if it falls slightly short of the claims made. You have to take the marketing with a pinch of salt, and let's face it there are plenty of (far dearer) products out there with an Achilles heel, I'd be very happy if it got to 80% of the flavour of a commercial conical (i.e. kony - same size burrs) without the 40 odd grams of beans needing to pass through before you get 100% fresh grinds!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17.8 to 18.0g is +/-0.1g, might be a bit optimistic given current grinders?

Not sure how fair it is to compare a hand grinder with an electric grinder turning at much higher speed? I dose +2 beans (~0.36g) in my Feldgrind and that's overkill.

I think that's the whole debate here... The advertisement that this grinder has retention of 0.1g.

Would be nice when they come aboard the forum and this can be discussed further and clarified.

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

For those thinking of backing don't forget you are not pre ordering, you are backing a campaign and may not actually get anything at the end of it for your £350.

Other than disappointment at the end product, you aren't risking money, crowd funding payments are only collected if the funding pledge target is met, i.e. at the level required for 1st production run.

I think that's the whole debate here... The advertisement that this grinder has retention of 0.1g.

Would be nice when they come aboard the forum and this can be discussed further and clarified.

Well if it achieves this then it will be very low retention, I meant that currently I don't think that +/-0.1g is typical, nor a realistic tolerance for a similar electric grinder? You said that you currently expect +/-0.1g from a single doser.

When people have them in their hands it'll be easy to see whether they achieve +/-0.1g with 95% confidence. If it's a specification, rather than advertising hyperbole, then it should.

Well if it achieves this then it will be very low retention, I meant that currently I don't think that +/-0.1g is typical, nor a realistic tolerance for a similar electric grinder? You said that you currently expect +/-0.1g from a single doser.

When people have them in their hands it'll be easy to see whether they achieve +/-0.1g with 95% confidence. If it's a specification, rather than advertising hyperbole, then it should.

I agree with you totally, don't get me wrong. What attracts me to this product is their claim, under the "Specs" page, that the retention is +/- 0.1g, and that brings me to watch its development very closely. I am not even fussy about that. I would happily buy one (or contribute to the funding at this stage) once I know more about how it works providing the price is realistic for what it really is.

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

and that brings me to watch its development very closely.

It was a finished product a long time ago! It has been tested and tested. The chap who designed this designsed a product that is an international household name, so i seriously think it will not be under designed!

In a race between a donkey and a horse, to see who could reach the bottom first..........one side has a commanding lead

It was a finished product a long time ago! It has been tested and tested. The chap who designed this designsed a product that is an international household name, so i seriously think it will not be under designed!
Have you had a go? How do you know all this?

Come on stop the cryptic 'I know how fantastic he/this is' spill the beans...

Other than disappointment at the end product, you aren't risking money, crowd funding payments are only collected if the funding pledge target is met, i.e. at the level required for 1st production run.

There are a large number of crowdfunding projects that fail between successful funding and the first production run. Creators underestimate the costs of loads of things and regularly fail to deliver.

In addition to that there are a load of outright fraudulent projects just there to defraud people out of their money and unless they are for very significant amounts of money Kickstarter (I cant speak for indegogo) don't give a toss.

You have to be very VERY careful with crowdfunding and be really confident in the creators, if they dont have experience bringing a product from inception to market then pledging is a gamble.

I still back projects, I'm relatively careful but a good 20% or so haven't delivered, and thats money down the drain. To be fair this project ticks all the right boxes in terms of being something I would trust, and I imagine it will deliver - but there is absolutely no guarantee at all.

You might not even get an end product, many crowd funding campaigns with a working prototype have failed to deliver.

That I wasn't aware of - my crowdfunding experience has always been for events, low-cost products, research funding etc. and all to fruition out of a dozen or so backed but Ive never even browsed any other projects to get a feel for what might be high risk like that, all have come via specific media sources. Edumacated now!

Retention mystery solved

Bill the Border personally licks any retained grinds from the machine between shots

IMG_0790.jpg

There is a danger that he will become wired and have to switch to decaf, in which case this grinder will only work for dfk.

(NB. I believe this theory to be as accurate and valid as any other speculation without fact)

Not a grinder for me (more than happy with E8), but it would suit the needs for plenty of folk out there so good luck to them

For me, I see it as a second grinder allowing me to dot and dab between decaf and not due to its single dosing. When I first got my Sette non weigh I did not use the Mythos for 3 weeks or so....

In a race between a donkey and a horse, to see who could reach the bottom first..........one side has a commanding lead

I use my Kinu with caffeinated and decafeinated beans on a daily basis, able to reproduce it both every time. There is no longer any beans wastage on my household. Once a week I take 10 minutes and clean the grinder thoroughly, and able to park the burr exactly where it was before.

The downside is, that one of my arms is getting rather muscular...

If this grinder can do the same, without the need for elbow grease, that's a serious contender for the domestic market.

Spent the day with Martin, had a long chat about the grinder, ground plenty of coffee, both carafe and espresso. Saw a second grinder disassembled in front of my eyes in less than 5 minutes with no special tools, this was impressive for ease of maintenance if ever required. I realise there is a little scepticism about the grinder, especially as it's "manufacturer tested" and "manufacturer claims". The claimed retention of 0.1g seems to be in the ballpark, but we shall see after extended testing, different beans and use of 2 sets of scales. I can only say I was amazed by this little grinder, absolutely amazed. I had lots of questions for Martin and the answers, plus the evidence of my own eyes were enough to know I was looking at quite a special little grinder. Key features that stood out for me are:

• Very well designed
  • Excellent and unique cord storage
  • Very very very good grind quality
  • Nice slow burr speed
  • Static free (on the day and coffees I used it with)
  • Really low retention
  • Quiet
  • Super easy to adjust grind (not stiff and no tendency for adjustment to move)
  • Stepless
  • Quick to move from espresso to carafe and back again
  • Easy to use
  • Small size and relatively light weight....very kitchen friendly
  • Ideal as a cupping grinder in a roastery

There were some tough questions for Martin, all answered fully and has clearly done his research, in fairness the grinder pretty much spoke for itself. After seeing this little Niche grinder, I feel a little silly having spent as much as I did on my Ceado E92, but at the time that's all that would deliver in the cup with relatively low size and retention (after mods). Then I see this tiny grinder with big 63mm conical burrs, produce a grind (almost) the equal of my E92 with 71mm burrs. I put "almost" in to make myself feel better! As for the burr set....they are not cheap burrs, they are really good burrs. Niche don't make the burrs and I wouldn't expect them to, they are made by a very large well known Italian burr manufacturer...They should be good for 800kg+ of coffee, effectively a commercial grade burr in a domestic use grinder.

It doesn't need modding, it doesn't need any special care to use and so far it's good. Martin decided to leave one of the production prototypes with me for a couple of weeks, so I will be able to give it a good thrashing in a real world kitchen environment with both fresh roasted and older coffee of different types and roast levels. I guess it proves the Italians don't have the last word on coffee grinder manufacture and Britain can show them a thing or two. I struggled to believe what I was seeing and experiencing, seemed almost too good to be true.....let's see if I feel the same after 2 weeks?

So far though....it's good!

P.S. Can't say any more after this as the formal testing phase begins.

Edited by DavecUK

Sticks and Stones, sours…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until roasted, pick em out and flick them in the bin. Life is too short for bad coffee

Great feedback as always and reassuring words from DavecUK. Looking forward to the test results! I'm really looking forward to it.