Coffee Forums banner

Niche Grinder?

357K views 2K replies 246 participants last post by  ajohn 
#1 ·
Anybody seen this grinder due to come out? https://www.nichecoffee.co.uk/ it's advertised on the forum and looks quite different to say the least. It's selling point appears to be zero retention and seems like a grinder built for single dosing (Doesn't have a real hopper?). With 63mm stainless steel conics at an angle running at 330 rpm, what do you guys think? Anyone want to speculate on price?

#3 ·
Looks nice!

#4 ·
Just saw this on the front page. Will have a look at the campaign but consider me very skeptical that there will truly be close to zero retention - static is a problem at RPM well below 300 and I don't see them claiming to have solved the problem on their website.

#5 ·
So its an MC2 tilted 15deg with the addition of a lower burr carrier vanes, bigger burrs and 300rpm - looks like the lid is there to prevent the beans popcorning out. Having said that I like the concept if it all works, and I'm all for wood and metal combinations, but for gods sake change to colour, cream/white grinders with coffee and any static are not staying clean for long, also curious about the motor details.

But 10/10 for UK design and trying something different - will watch also with interest.

Gadget Kitchen appliance Font Machine Fictional character

Attachments

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Jumbo Ratty said:
I think it sounds good on paper and I like how it looks.

Not sure why you're saying its an mc2.

Does it share any conponents with that machine?

Is Uberital in anyway involved with this?
I agree with Ratty , i am not even sure the burr size is the same ?

This guy has put alot of his money into developing this to the stage it is. Let's give some encouragement for a new player in the home grinder market and reserve judgement until it is out in the wild...

Wouldn't it be nice to have a home grinder that is stylish , quiet , and kitchen friendly .. Let's cross out fingers and hope he has pulled it off.

#8 ·
Might be well suited to brewed, and possibly espresso (RDT maybe for static if it occurs?)

No idea how it will compare 'in the cup' to other grinders of similar burr size, and how it'll cope with lighter roasts etc.

Could be well worth keeping an eye on?

#10 ·
To be clear I don't think its an MC2 - merely size and conical burrs (I know it has nothing to do with Uberital) and this will be a far superior product as I understand it
:act-up:
- I am interested in the motor and its gearing?

also I will say it again bravo for the UK design and manufacture - and got to love those wooden feet.

#11 ·
Wonder about the longevity of stainless steel burrs, when used for espresso grinding..much softer metal than hardened steel

#16 ·
MWJB said:
Isn't it likely the burrs are already in production & use in other grinders?
To be cost effective, maybe.

#18 ·
dfk41 said:
I do not think they are stainless steel, but food grade steel
from their website Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number

Mrboots2u said:
but this is aimed at the home users, not commercial qty
Right, but would you for example rather have stainless steel burrs or TiN coated hardened steel ones in say Mythos even if just for home use? The edge retention is certainly worse with SS. Surely for casual home use these should suffice.

MWJB said:
Isn't it likely the burrs are already in production & use in other grinders?
No idea, the website says "our" burrs.

Attachments

#19 ·
Stanic said:
from their website View attachment 28363

Right, but would you for example rather have stainless steel burrs or TiN coated hardened steel ones in say Mythos even if just for home use? The edge retention is certainly worse with SS. Surely for casual home use these should suffice.

No idea, the website says "our" burrs.
The people this is aimed at wouldn't look twice at a mythos.. Or understand tin burrs. And I presume they are Trying to keep the price down.

#21 ·
igm45 said:
I'd be interested to know how much damage the sette has done to potential custom for grinders in their target market
Good question, this new one looks much better/simpler regarding the construction though. I really like the retro design, curvy sixties come to mind
:)
now compare this to the Etzmax lol

#22 ·
It's certainly piqued my interest. The marketing seems suitably vague and non commital at this stage. It'll be interesting to hear from the designers when they join us on the forum

#23 ·
I've signed up to keep informed of details. Depending on price, it might be a good replacement for my Isomac - which is also a conical, but has small burrs and tons of retention.

I think if they made one with a small hopper (say 250g) and an on demand button on the front (a simple timer could do doses) then to me, they could be onto a winner. Popcorning might be an issue to some otherwise?

#25 ·
I've subscribed to their mailing list though. Looks interesting, but I really want to know more about how they are overcoming static and 0.1g retention as claimed on their site.

The Sette for example has been in design for a hell of a long time, and even then it has about 1.5 gram retention.

On my Kinu M68, and supposedly similar on the HG-1, there is some considerable static charge (which causes retention) if RDT or something like that is not used.

To be honest, I don't mind 1.5g retention. But they are claiming "+/- 0.1g" according to their tech. spec. page at https://www.nichecoffee.co.uk/spec/

Looking forward to knowing more!

#26 ·
Yea, i have the same questions and suspect its 0.1 under ideal circumstances.

The best that any of the big players have come up with for static is the 'clump crusher' which, like the mazzer antistatic screen, just holds the grinds up to help the static disperse. However these cause more than 0.1g retention themselves as a bit get stuck behind, and needs purging.

I basically don't think it is possible for them to have 0.1g retention in non-ideal circumstances. I am happy to be proven wrong of course!

Edit: having said all the above... Does the mythos retain a bit or use some style of clump crusher?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.