Anybody seen this grinder due to come out? https://www.nichecoffee.co.uk/ it's advertised on the forum and looks quite different to say the least. It's selling point appears to be zero retention and seems like a grinder built for single dosing (Doesn't have a real hopper?). With 63mm stainless steel conics at an angle running at 330 rpm, what do you guys think? Anyone want to speculate on price?

Beans>Grinders>Machines

Looks nice!

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

Just saw this on the front page. Will have a look at the campaign but consider me very skeptical that there will truly be close to zero retention - static is a problem at RPM well below 300 and I don't see them claiming to have solved the problem on their website.

So its an MC2 tilted 15deg with the addition of a lower burr carrier vanes, bigger burrs and 300rpm - looks like the lid is there to prevent the beans popcorning out. Having said that I like the concept if it all works, and I'm all for wood and metal combinations, but for gods sake change to colour, cream/white grinders with coffee and any static are not staying clean for long, also curious about the motor details.

But 10/10 for UK design and trying something different - will watch also with interest.

niche.jpg

keep calm and grind flat

I think it sounds good on paper and I like how it looks.

Not sure why you're saying its an mc2.

Does it share any conponents with that machine?

Is Uberital in anyway involved with this?

I think it sounds good on paper and I like how it looks.

Not sure why you're saying its an mc2.

Does it share any conponents with that machine?

Is Uberital in anyway involved with this?

I agree with Ratty , i am not even sure the burr size is the same ?

This guy has put alot of his money into developing this to the stage it is. Let's give some encouragement for a new player in the home grinder market and reserve judgement until it is out in the wild...

Wouldn't it be nice to have a home grinder that is stylish , quiet , and kitchen friendly .. Let's cross out fingers and hope he has pulled it off.

Edited by Mrboots2u

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Might be well suited to brewed, and possibly espresso (RDT maybe for static if it occurs?)

No idea how it will compare 'in the cup' to other grinders of similar burr size, and how it'll cope with lighter roasts etc.

Could be well worth keeping an eye on?

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

The Niche team will be popping in soon to answer questions - they are @Niche Coffee

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

To be clear I don't think its an MC2 - merely size and conical burrs (I know it has nothing to do with Uberital) and this will be a far superior product as I understand it :act-up: - I am interested in the motor and its gearing?

also I will say it again bravo for the UK design and manufacture - and got to love those wooden feet.

keep calm and grind flat

Wonder about the longevity of stainless steel burrs, when used for espresso grinding..much softer metal than hardened steel

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

I know nothing of the technical details, but I really don't like the design. The wood-on-white reminds me of a cheap toilet seat lid on the porcelain.

Sage Duo Temp Pro ++ Sage Smart Grinder Pro ++ Aeropress ++ V60

http://www.bhxcoffee.com

Wonder about the longevity of stainless steel burrs, when used for espresso grinding..much softer metal than hardened steel

I do not think they are stainless steel, but food grade steel

but this is aimed at the home users, not commercial qty

Instagram - rjw_inc

Isn't it likely the burrs are already in production & use in other grinders?

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

To be cost effective, maybe.

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

I do not think they are stainless steel, but food grade steel

from their website _20170806_000332.jpg

but this is aimed at the home users, not commercial qty

Right, but would you for example rather have stainless steel burrs or TiN coated hardened steel ones in say Mythos even if just for home use? The edge retention is certainly worse with SS. Surely for casual home use these should suffice.

No idea, the website says "our" burrs.

from their website [ATTACH=CONFIG]28363[/ATTACH]

Right, but would you for example rather have stainless steel burrs or TiN coated hardened steel ones in say Mythos even if just for home use? The edge retention is certainly worse with SS. Surely for casual home use these should suffice.

No idea, the website says "our" burrs.

The people this is aimed at wouldn't look twice at a mythos.. Or understand tin burrs. And I presume they are Trying to keep the price down.

Instagram - rjw_inc

I'd be interested to know how much damage the sette has done to potential custom for grinders in their target market

Edited by igm45

* HG-1 for sale* Ve ve suvivius.... /Pending grinder changes / Eazytamp / tupperware pot / completely healthy relationship with coffee (and bank manager).

I'd be interested to know how much damage the sette has done to potential custom for grinders in their target market

Good question, this new one looks much better/simpler regarding the construction though. I really like the retro design, curvy sixties come to mind :) now compare this to the Etzmax lol

It's certainly piqued my interest. The marketing seems suitably vague and non commital at this stage. It'll be interesting to hear from the designers when they join us on the forum

* HG-1 for sale* Ve ve suvivius.... /Pending grinder changes / Eazytamp / tupperware pot / completely healthy relationship with coffee (and bank manager).

I've signed up to keep informed of details. Depending on price, it might be a good replacement for my Isomac - which is also a conical, but has small burrs and tons of retention.

I think if they made one with a small hopper (say 250g) and an on demand button on the front (a simple timer could do doses) then to me, they could be onto a winner. Popcorning might be an issue to some otherwise?

Looks interesting enough to at least sign up to their mailing list... would be great to see a locally designed and manufaxtured device

I've subscribed to their mailing list though. Looks interesting, but I really want to know more about how they are overcoming static and 0.1g retention as claimed on their site.

The Sette for example has been in design for a hell of a long time, and even then it has about 1.5 gram retention.

On my Kinu M68, and supposedly similar on the HG-1, there is some considerable static charge (which causes retention) if RDT or something like that is not used.

To be honest, I don't mind 1.5g retention. But they are claiming "+/- 0.1g" according to their tech. spec. page at https://www.nichecoffee.co.uk/spec/

Looking forward to knowing more!