IGNORED

My Mazzer Super Jolly Journey

Ok so I've been advised to have a thread for this so here it goes.

Purchased my SJ from the forum for a decent £130 delivered. Can't thank Nick enough for that and for it arriving safe and sound.

So I jumped the gun and only took a couple of pre-restoration photos.

ac89ee4a9c613450b2d611a0d42550b6.jpg

There she is in all her glory. Absolute beast!

The plan is to strip, clean, and replace as required. Also new paint job. Colour suggestions are welcome.

So far I have found a broken spring in the doser and possibly some parts missing but I'm not sure. I'm looking at a generic parts list I think so it may include parts from different models. I've also found a little bit of wear on the doser base....

0c612b131ce0d7b22cb9c22037abc150.jpg

I could possibly replace or get it sleeved but for now it's staying as it is.

That's it for now anyway. The doser is stripped and in a box until I get parts ordered and the paintwork done.

Tomorrow I'll strip down the body and get the bare shell ready for paint, hopefully.

• Like 1
  • Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok so I've been advised to have a thread for this so here it goes.   Purchased my SJ from the forum for a decent £130 delivered. Can't thank Nick enough for that and for it arriving safe and sound

I see what's happening here. I have an orange mazzer so I'm the first candidate lol.....   Do you have a price in mind? I would also need to have it turned down to fit my sage baskets (53.5mm)  

That's what I've heard. Kind of a pointless exercise unfortunately from what other members have mention. Fingers crossed you aren't too far off though and done sacrifice too many beans

Posted Images

Yeah it did. What's that all about then? Do I need it?
Not really, easier life without it just make sure you place a jumper where the doser cables used to connect in the base if you've removed it

Glad it got there in one piece.

I think the missing internals would be connected to a little flap over the grinds chute. When the doser got full it would automatically turn off.

These being removed allowed single dosing and easy access to the chute to make sure it is clear and the grinds didn't go stale.

I look forward to seeing what can be done to this with a little time and effort!

Glad it got there in one piece.

I think the missing internals would be connected to a little flap over the grinds chute. When the doser got full it would automatically turn off.

These being removed allowed single dosing and easy access to the chute to make sure it is clear and the grinds didn't go stale.

I look forward to seeing what can be done to this with a little time and effort!

Ah ok that's great thanks. I'm brand new to these so will be relying on you guys for help. I'm excited to crack on today so I'll take it to work with me

• Like 1
58mm lense hood. Little rubbery thing for cameras. Perfect on top of an SJ

Aye it came with one but don't know if I want it like that lol. Is that the thing SJ owners do? Does that mean you just single dose?

• Like 1

http://www.wholelattecoffee.com/2015/02/fixing-a-broken-mazzer-doser-return-spring/ -spring change

Single dosing in a jolly is not recommended as you will not get a consistent grind, you need some weight behind the beans - either more beans or a weight - the last few beans will also hop around - that's the theory, there was a thread about it somewhere on here and some tests done. The rubber lens hood will accommodate about 110g of beans so makes it ideal for 1/2 a bag.

with a lid on you can puff the grinds through the exit chute nto the doser -

Edited by jimbojohn55
  • Like 1
Single dosing in a jolly is not recommended as you will not get a consistent grind, you need some weight behind the beans - either more beans or a weight - the last few beans will also hop around - that's the theory, there was a thread about it somewhere on here and some tests done. The rubber lens hood will accommodate about 110g of beans so makes it ideal for 1/2 a bag.

with a lid on you can puff the grinds through the exit chute nto the doser - re missing parts -there are some pics on m "Paint it Black thread"

Thank you Jim. I'll take a look. Will I be breaking all the rules by painting it a funky colour? Need to make it appeal for the wife a bit haha

• Like 1

well, satin black is quite a modern look and tends to match other things in the kitchen - if size is an issue match the wall colour !

PS my paint it black is limited re doser pics -so have added a link above.

• Like 1

First layer gold or copper, second layer dark red or brown, last paint layer black. Will change colour in sunlight.

so what is missing from the doser?

I'm missing the stuff bolted on the outside of it but I'm not fussed about that. The portafilter stand is missing. Actually inside the doser is all present other than that part I mentioned previously.

• Like 1