IGNORED

Phased entry level setup - new member entry level setup

Hey, I've just joined in order to research getting myself started with a proper expresso setup.

I'm currently existing with a bialetti moka pot and pre ground lavazza from the supermarket. I can't really spend more than £500 on the full new setup and would like to take that over a few months so am pretty much decided on a Gaggia Classic paired with a Sage smart grinder pro as I've seen lots for good prices. My main query therefore is which first? Would it be better coffee from the bialetti paired with a smart grinder or the Gaggia Classic with pre ground presumably using the pressurised basket? Please also feel free to make any comments on my choice of entry level setup based on the limited budget. I did also toy with ideas a hand grinder but felt this maybe too time consuming/inconsistent and would eventually get upgraded to an electric so why go there initially.

Gaggia Classic paired with a Sage smart grinder pro

Great choice if you can go for both.

Gaggia Classic with pre ground

Yes, but not from the supermarket.

presumably using the pressurised basket?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I have a good classic for sale, when you get enough posts look in the for sale section and we can negotiate via pm.

You could easily get a Classic and a Mazzer Super Jolly for under £500 even a PID for your classic too, and it would be a very good set up with a grinder you wouldn't outgrow quickly as I understand the Sage SG has the tendency to be outgrown fairly fast.

Thanks Rakesh, I'll check out the super jolly! Not one I've looked at.

On a quick search I couldn't see a mazzer super jolly on it's own within my budget. Presume you are talking 2nd hand?

Yes 2nd hand, they sell for about 150-250 depending on age and condition, they are built like tanks and will last you a very very long time. 2nd hand classics sell around 150 and a PID is around £100.