thesmileyone

Any Mignon mk2 tips or mods?

So it is my 31st birthday today...parents bought me a Mignon mk2 which is...a very nice surprise to say the least!

Setting the grind seems difficult there is no marker as to where it is set at... I have it set about 3 points from max fine setting.

It clumps quite a bit and sprays out a little far, other than that it is lovely. I just had a cup of gaslight that BB sent with it, which surprised me as blends normally are eugh to me but no, was a very nice cup of coffee especially considering I do the milk in a jug in the microwave for 1:10 because the steam wand on the Dehlonghi doesn't work (last time I used it on old machine it broke the output on the brew group!)

A machine will be my next purchase for around £1k.

Saved me £900 because I was going to buy a 75E next week.

Thanks

So it is my 31st birthday today...parents bought me a Mignon mk2 which is...a very nice surprise to say the least!

Setting the grind seems difficult there is no marker as to where it is set at... I have it set about 3 points from max fine setting.

It clumps quite a bit and sprays out a little far, other than that it is lovely. I just had a cup of gaslight that BB sent with it, which surprised me as blends normally are eugh to me but no, was a very nice cup of coffee especially considering I do the milk in a jug in the microwave for 1:10 because the steam wand on the Dehlonghi doesn't work (last time I used it on old machine it broke the output on the brew group!)

A machine will be my next purchase for around £1k.

Saved me £900 because I was going to buy a 75E next week.

Thanks

Can't help with the mignon.

Happy birthday though [emoji106]

Ve ve suvivius.... /E37s/ Eazytamp / tupperware pot / completely healthy relationship with coffee (and bank manager).

The clumps ease over time & get a portrfilter thingy off the forum as it'll help with the spraying.

A machine, a grinder & some beans

Maybe open the chute and remove the plastic bit that is blocking the chute. The screw is under the Eureka logo, be careful about the wires and their soldering.

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, MaraXprofitec, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air, Niche Zero, Aergrind, IMS and VST baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, modded Gene Cafe CBR 101, BWT Bestmax PREMIUM V

With experience of this grinder from new, I agree that a) clumping improves with a bit of use, ask the next time you order beans if they have any past there best to season the burrs with, failing that some really cheap supermarket beans to whack through. b) removal of the plastic antistatic thingy from the chute also helps, as said by Stanic take care doing this.

These are great grinders, I've been very pleased with the results it gives, enjoy it.

"I like coffee because it gives me the illusion that I might just be awake."

Stir the grinds in the PF improves the clumping issue.

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

I meant clumps coming out not in the PF, it is unpredictable at the moment as sometimes nothing comes out then a few huge clumps which fall on the floor ha ha

Ive had my mignon since new and will also say tge clumping gets less with use.

Some beans clump more than others,, personally i dont see clumping as an issue.

I dont grind straight into the portafilter as i like to have the hopper full and use the timer function.

My coice of method is to gring into a ceramic rameken which has a bigger circumference to the portafilter.

Ive got the timer set to dispense 7.5 gms per press.

As the clumping has decreased the weight per press has stabalised and is pretty accurate to within + - 0.1 gm

So I tare the scale with the ramekin press the timmer plate twice check weight and top up if needed by pressing the second button on the side of the mignon to the out possition then press the backplate in to top up.

This method means theres never any mess on the worktop as ive found the portafilter can become quite full when the grinds are pilling up and cascade over the edge.

When the grinds are in the rameken a quick stir mixes the grinds and then pour into the portafilter.

Also, I find it easier to weigh the rameken than i do the portafilter.

DSC_0309.jpg

what is the difference between the MK1 and Mk2 Mignon ?

I'm asking because I have an old Mignon, and while it grinds great, the clumping and coffee retention makes me want to upgrade it.

what is the difference between the MK1 and Mk2 Mignon ?

I'm asking because I have an old Mignon, and while it grinds great, the clumping and coffee retention makes me want to upgrade it.

The only change I'm aware of is that the timer switch moved from the bottom to the side of it

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, MaraXprofitec, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air, Niche Zero, Aergrind, IMS and VST baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, modded Gene Cafe CBR 101, BWT Bestmax PREMIUM V

new mine used to clump so much, throwing boulders out the chute, now its really good

i use the timer to grind 18g directly into the portafilter

take the top burr off and give it a quick clean, old residual ground beans can make it clump, once clean it will clump less and stay cleaner for longer

I meant clumps coming out not in the PF, it is unpredictable at the moment as sometimes nothing comes out then a few huge clumps which fall on the floor ha ha

Norvin's funnel sorts this perfectly ;-)

Sage Bambino - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live