IGNORED

DTP Owners Club

joey24dirt

Hi all,

I have dtp and find that the flow rate to be to fast. I have ground the beans as fine as my grinder will let me and after 14 secs I have 40g of coffee. I fit as much coffee that is physically possible which is about 14/16 g but still it extracts to fast. Any ideas on how to slow it down? 

1 hour ago, abs said:

Hi all,

I have dtp and find that the flow rate to be to fast. I have ground the beans as fine as my grinder will let me and after 14 secs I have 40g of coffee. I fit as much coffee that is physically possible which is about 14/16 g but still it extracts to fast. Any ideas on how to slow it down? 

The basket will usually take more than 16g, try 18 or 19g and see how that goes?

Your double can be larger than 40g if it is still strong enough for you.

Are you saying that your grinder burrs are gnashing if you try & grind finer (otherwise I don't see why you can't grind finer)?

11 hours ago, abs said:

Hi all,

Are you distributing and tamping too? What are you grinding with?

Heres a visual guide for grind types

https://www.homegrounds.co/coffee-grind-chart/

37 minutes ago, abs said:

I have an ek43. Do you use a stock double basket that comes with the dtp or have you bought another ?

Yes stock double. As I say I can get max 21g in mine with a very fine grind with my la pavoni

35 minutes ago, abs said:

what extras do you recommend for the dtp to help with shot prep and the extraction?

I use a 53mm tamper (no stock) 

I grind into a small jug, weigh to 19g then tip into heated and dried PF. I use a paper clip to break up then gently distribute with my fingers. Then tamp once, no polishing. 
carefully lock into group. Cup on scales. Weigh out the 38g shot with timer to check. Done 

• 1 month later...

Hi.  Had my DTP for a couple of months now and slowly getting to grips with it.  I have a basic delonghi burr grinder and had to take it apart and adjust it to get a finer grind for espresso (always made pour over before my DTP).

i went on one of the sage barista courses and quickly realised the milk wand is not the best compared to the higher end models but I think I’ve just about master it now.

thing is I just can’t get a good crema still.  I’ve got a good fine grind and 20g is pulling for about 30seconds but it still looks watery and ‘splashy’ to me and it’s preventing getting a decent latte art.

is there anything else I should try to help improve it?

24 minutes ago, Grae said:

Hi.  Had my DTP for a couple of months now and slowly getting to grips with it.  I have a basic delonghi burr grinder and had to take it apart and adjust it to get a finer grind for espresso (always made pour over before my DTP).

thing is I just can’t get a good crema still.  I’ve got a good fine grind and 20g is pulling for about 30seconds but it still looks watery and ‘splashy’ to me and it’s preventing getting a decent latte art.

It's likely that your grinder is the weak point. An Aergrind/Feldgrind might be an option or a second hand electric grinder.

Do you mean that your dose is 20g? What is the output in the cup in grams?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grae said:

i went on one of the sage barista courses and quickly realised the milk wand is not the best compared to the higher end models but I think I’ve just about master it now.

What beans are you using? 

1 hour ago, Grae said:

I’m in the same boat will be following this! Cheers 

2 hours ago, Grae said:

There are too many mentions of modifying grinders like the delonghi for espresso machine use. It might just get things into the start of the espresso range. I've actually done it. An "odd" aspect of many of these grinders is that the internal mechanisms are often the same or very similar. ;) The one I did was Swiss - they used glue on the mechanism, maybe to justify the extra cost but I bought it used.

What I would be inclined to say is that if some one can't get a decent shot out of a basket with grinds set via the razor tool they have some sort of problem that is unlikely to be down to the machine.

First one is beans. I haven't had any problems with super market beans but others have. Stale beans can be impossible to tune. I have only ever used these in an SGP and BE grinder.

If the grinder is causing problems as it wont grind fine enough increase the dose by 1/2g steps.  This may help eventually. If it gets to the point where it interferes with fitting the portafilter stop. That's definitely too much. Also past the point really where the grinds are being disturbed when it's fitted. Take it out and look another 1/2g or so may be ok.

When loading the filter basket try and keep the heap even. It may be worth tapping them down as they are added. Stirring the grinds might help - cocktail stick diameter stirrer or maybe double that. I find bigger may clump grinds more but depends on the beans. ;) People use all sorts for stirring - something simple first.

Stay away from light tamping. Often mentioned but something to try later. Sage suggest 15 to 20kg - a safe range. Straining a little can help keep it consistent and it's also possible to lean on the tamper at the same time. Checking your tamp on bathroom scales or what ever isn't a bad idea. 10kg is reckoned to be a minimum.

These machines can benefit from a certain style of preheating. Machines should be flushed before every shot. A few seconds is sufficient. I did it a different way but flush, run steam until steam is coming out, fit the portafilter and pull the shot as soon as the machine allows. Steaming milk first is another option. I did it by running a shot through an empty pressurised basket, removing it with an amazon extraction tool and fitting the basket I intended to use. It didn't take me long to get the grinds in. Steam should achieve the same thing.

Steaming takes a lot of practice. The thermocoil machines aren't by any means slow. ;) Not that slow anyway. A jug larger than Sage's can be used and ok a machine with higher power could make a really noticeable difference but also need more careful control.

Don't forget that Sage effectively suggest a grinds in to grams of shot out of 3. Web says 2. Fact the best balance may be anywhere in that range or even outside it. Time 25 - 30sec is much the same. Ratio is the most effective way of controlling taste as time has a weaker effect. There is no need to follow that precisely either. All that matters is the taste that comes out. If some one wants exact 30 or 60 doubles tough it may not work out that way.

John

-

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies everyone.

im using some really fresh coffee from hasbean and heart and graft so didn’t think the beans would be the problem.

The 20g I referred to is the dose in the basket, I’ve always gone by time for the extraction of 30secs measured by volume, but I will see what weight I am getting and push the time a bit longer maybe with a finer grind to see what this does.

ive been thinking of upgrading to the Sage Smart Grinder but I’m enjoying the diy nature of tweaking my delonghi one at the moment to learn about how to get the best dose.

Back to the lab! 

Edited by Grae