joey24dirt

DTP Owners Club

Evening all, 

Just a quick one to say I have a for sale thread offering Pullman's Sage naked portafilter for the DTP (and other models) at their cost price, I'm in Australia at the moment and can bring a few back with me, just wanting to help out if people wanted one.

Cheers, 

Alex

Hey, 

I just would like to ask that do you know anyone in London who can modify a regular Sage portafilter? Or any good machinist/handyman in London? 

I have a spare 54mm Sage DTP portafilter and I want to transform it to a bottomless one :)

Thanks for the answers or ideas

Afternoon folks,

I've had a Sage DTP for 3 1/2 years and its worked perfectly up until today. But earlier this morning I noticed the steam power had decreased significantly to the point where there was just a dribble of water coming out. Did all the usual trouble shooting and then ran some descaler through. When I had finished, and switched off the machine, it was still making some noises which was quite concerning. Just turned it back on an hour or so later and there is nothing happening. It starts up within 30 seconds but there's no light flashing whilst the machine warms up as normal, and once I switch to espresso or steam no water comes out. Anyone any ideas or faced something similar? Would it be a pump issue? Cheers

4 hours ago, colb16 said:

Afternoon folks,

I've had a Sage DTP for 3 1/2 years and its worked perfectly up until today. But earlier this morning I noticed the steam power had decreased significantly to the point where there was just a dribble of water coming out. Did all the usual trouble shooting and then ran some descaler through. When I had finished, and switched off the machine, it was still making some noises which was quite concerning. Just turned it back on an hour or so later and there is nothing happening. It starts up within 30 seconds but there's no light flashing whilst the machine warms up as normal, and once I switch to espresso or steam no water comes out. Anyone any ideas or faced something similar? Would it be a pump issue? Cheers

Potentially pump failure.

How hard is your water and how often did you descale? (And what did you use) 

Sage Barista Pro - Mignon Manuale - La Pavoni Zip - Gaggia Classic - Nanopresso - Osmio Zero

19 minutes ago, TomHughes said:

Potentially pump failure.

How hard is your water and how often did you descale? (And what did you use) 

Thanks Tom, that was my initial thought as well, but I can here the pump go once the steamer starts but there's no water coming from the wand, nor the brew head. It seems like it's not able to pull the water through, from some further reading online someone mentioned that priming it might work, not sure how that works though.

Live in hard water area and descale every 4-6 weeks with puly descaler powder.

45 minutes ago, colb16 said:

Thanks Tom, that was my initial thought as well, but I can here the pump go once the steamer starts but there's no water coming from the wand, nor the brew head. It seems like it's not able to pull the water through, from some further reading online someone mentioned that priming it might work, not sure how that works though.

Live in hard water area and descale every 4-6 weeks with puly descaler powder.

Ok, it sound to me like it could be scale blockage. 
how hard are we talking and were you filtering it? 
Puly doesn’t really work for sages as it’s designed for standard boiler machines like a gaggia. It needs a bit of time to work but doesn’t get it with the thermocoil system. 
To compound this some of the holes in the sage are quite small, so blockage can occur with very minimal scale. 
I moved to a hardish water area (280tds) and was using citric acid (similar to puly) and was finding my DTP was get a little funny, low temp, low steam pressure. 
Did a full descale with kilrock (lactic acid) and it worked like gang busters. 

• Like 1

Sage Barista Pro - Mignon Manuale - La Pavoni Zip - Gaggia Classic - Nanopresso - Osmio Zero

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, TomHughes said:

Ok, it sound to me like it could be scale blockage. 
how hard are we talking and were you filtering it? 
Puly doesn’t really work for sages as it’s designed for standard boiler machines like a gaggia. It needs a bit of time to work but doesn’t get it with the thermocoil system. 
To compound this some of the holes in the sage are quite small, so blockage can occur with very minimal scale. 
I moved to a hardish water area (280tds) and was using citric acid (similar to puly) and was finding my DTP was get a little funny, low temp, low steam pressure. 
Did a full descale with kilrock (lactic acid) and it worked like gang busters. 

Water hardness is 256 and yes I've been filtering it. Didn't realise that about Puly, thought I saw it mentioned on here before that it was ok to use. Good to know. I suspect it's too late to use Kilrock at this stage if the water is not flowing. 

Edit - I've tried the Sage support team this morning and they gave me the details of Coffee Classics. When I spoke with them they said they don't can't help with Sage DTP any loner as they can't source any parts, and would be unable to send an engineer. At a loss at this stage as to what to do next.

Edited by colb16

1 hour ago, colb16 said:

Water hardness is 256 and yes I've been filtering it. Didn't realise that about Puly, thought I saw it mentioned on here before that it was ok to use. Good to know. I suspect it's too late to use Kilrock at this stage if the water is not flowing. 

Edit - I've tried the Sage support team this morning and they gave me the details of Coffee Classics. When I spoke with them they said they don't can't help with Sage DTP any loner as they can't source any parts, and would be unable to send an engineer. At a loss at this stage as to what to do next.

I’d blast it with kilrock or something with sulphamic acid in. See what happens. You don’t have much to lose! 

6 minutes ago, TomHughes said:

I’d blast it with kilrock or something with sulphamic acid in. See what happens. You don’t have much to lose! 

Just bought some on amazon so will give it a shot when it arrives. 

After another call with Sage their position has changed, now stating that the Sage DTP is unrepairable and as it's out of warranty all they can do is offer a discount for a new machine. Why would anyone be interested in buying another one! Frustrating to say the least.

3 hours ago, colb16 said:

Just bought some on amazon so will give it a shot when it arrives. 

After another call with Sage their position has changed, now stating that the Sage DTP is unrepairable and as it's out of warranty all they can do is offer a discount for a new machine. Why would anyone be interested in buying another one! Frustrating to say the least.

Sage = the Apple of the coffee world

• Like 2

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

28 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

Sage = the Apple of the coffee world

I've often read some very positive comments for their customers service, which was reassuring, but unfortunately my experience has not been good. Nevertheless, the idea of upgrading in a year or so was on my mind, so now that decision has just been brought forward. Lots of research still to do but Lelit was topping my list, it certainly won't be Sage! Must have a look at your reviews again. 

It is likely the machine can be fixed with a proper descale and a new pump. They cost 13 pounds and are generic. If not you haven't lost much.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sage Duo Temp - La Cimbali 6/S A 64mm flat burr + numerous projects: Sunbeam, Ascaso, Gaggia

16 minutes ago, colb16 said:

I've often read some very positive comments for their customers service, which was reassuring, but unfortunately my experience has not been good. Nevertheless, the idea of upgrading in a year or so was on my mind, so now that decision has just been brought forward. Lots of research still to do but Lelit was topping my list, it certainly won't be Sage! Must have a look at your reviews again. 

A dangerous rocky path too much expense...but enjoy. MaraX highly recommended if you can get one. Otherwsie it might be into DB territory...lots of choice, fun times ahead.

• Like 1

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

Hi, yes Puly doesn’t work with Sage dtp very well if at all. A good descaler I found that works great is Oust all purpose sachets, if the pump is dead you can replace it with new one, these are most popular pumps ULKA EP5, Ebay sellers got them for a good price. Only things that may worry me with sage are the electronics, if sage can’t supply, only option is used one from broken for spares machine. Hopefully it’s just a descaling issue. 
Good luck 

• Like 1

Hi, long time reader first time poster here. I wanted to comment on the topic of descaling a DTP as I'm currently looking to buy some more cleaning products, looking at the Urnex Dezcal and Cafiza partly due to them being miles better value than buying from Sage!

My question is which would be best for the DTP - the Dezcal powder, tablets or liquid? I live in the north west so the water here is pretty soft coming down from the Lake District.

Cheers!

Thought I'd just say hi here as I've recently joined and own a DTP.

Just bought a new grinder to hopefully get the most out of this machine so looking forward to learning lots.

Here's a photo of my setup with my existing grinder.

37B467C1-3613-4474-A7B8-809F82519D1F.jpeg

• Like 1

Good coffee corner, well done. What grinder did you order? This on the picture is just fine for using it with double wall baskets but you get a lots of fake crema, but still better coffee than instant one. 
Regards 

Just bought a Sage DTP so very much a newbie. My basket is very difficult to remove from the portafilter (I weigh the coffee in the basket removed from the portafilter on my scales is the only way I can accurately weigh the coffee). My question.....can I use the DTP without the spring there thus allowing my to remove basket, weigh and fill the basket each time a lot easier? Must the spring be present?

Thanks in advance! 
Marten

Ive recently got a dtp to replace a gaggia classic i bought, that i just couldn't get to grips with. 

Heres my cornerIMG_20200422_170522_112.thumb.jpg.21d8f8314d3db3985aa8f8a53b6905ea.jpg

• Like 1

New user here, I already posted this image in the welcome section, but here is my setup. I've had this setup for nearly 2 years now and still really like it. I know by the number of posts on here that this is a very common setup, but this has got me through many a morning with two small toddlers waking at very unholy hours! And has produced some pretty good coffee.

I'll be honest though, I've just ordered a bulk of cleaning supplies for the machine from Coffee Hit as I've never cleaned or descaled it... I'm just hoping I haven't done too much damage, and that what I've ordered after reading above is going to work!

20200419_071103.jpg

• Like 1

Sage DTP & Smart Grinder Pro + Many gadgets  |  Instagram: mrjamesharvey

Does anyone know if the IMS precision baskets fit the standard DTP portafilter? I have read some people have modified them to fit bottomless portafilters, but im not sure whats been 'modified', and if they would fit the standard one.

https://espresso-solutions.co.uk/filter-spaziale-p4y-wega-concept-h27-5/

Sage DTP & Smart Grinder Pro + Many gadgets  |  Instagram: mrjamesharvey

2 hours ago, Harvey said:

Does anyone know if the IMS precision baskets fit the standard DTP portafilter? I have read some people have modified them to fit bottomless portafilters, but im not sure whats been 'modified', and if they would fit the standard one.

https://espresso-solutions.co.uk/filter-spaziale-p4y-wega-concept-h27-5/

IMS Spaziale competition basket (B652TH27.5M) can work with DTP. We its border is too wide you need to modify it. Bend or file it. Otherwise it won't fit to the group head. 

Left: modified IMS Spaziale

Right: original IMS Spaziale

IMG_20200314_155541~2.jpg

• Thanks 1

By the way, I'm just selling my IMS basket with a bottomless portafilter for DTP ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cuprajake said:

Does it make a difference though

Filing or the competition basket? 

File: otherwise not possible to attach the portafilter to the group head

Basket: definitely. You can grind finer what gives you more taste notes and the extraction is more even.